E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What would you do?

01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D M Sport

What would you do?

My 325d has spent the last 4 days sat in the garage due to me finally taking the iniative to start cycling to work.
The car has covered 1600 miles since its mot in september and I feel its somewhat wasted on me at the moment.

Furthermore, with my other half recently selling her astra cabriolet for a honda civic we no longer have a fun car in the household.

Iv started considering swapping my car in but due to buying both a house and the civic in the last 6 months money isnt in plentiful supply so iv been looking at swapping my car against another.

Iv been considering going back to an astra vxr or even a focus st but the way they depreciate worries me somewhat as my 5 and a half year.old bm is worth similar to a 3 year old of them.

So, I ask you, what would you do. Stick with a car thats being wasted or trade it in for something a little bit more exciting but ultimately not as good?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

The focus ST-3 in my opinion is a better package than the VXR, however the ST-3 comes at a higher premium.

The ST-1 and ST-2 are quite basic in my opinion unless you prefer things like colored material seats over leather. In which case the VXR would be better value for money and get more kit in standard spec. VXR driver seat bolsters easily wear / collapse

The VXR would also be "slightly" better on fuel, the 2.5 ST is thirsty (16 mpg around town and 35 mpg on a motorway run) compared to the VXR ( 20 mpg around town and closer to 40 mpg on a run). Enough to make a difference i suppose

Personally id go a bit older and look for 1 around a 2007 plate. Its lost most of its value and depreciation will have really slowed down. The ST-1 / ST-2 will also be about £1500 cheaper than the vxr so possibly some cash back in your pocket
      01-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I'd sell the BMW,and either add those funds to the money you get from selling the Civic and buying a car you can both equally enjoy,or add the funds to improving an asset (house) that appreciates in value, rather than buying a car that will do the opposite.

You can tell I'm in need of therapy,because I'm becoming sensible,quite a shock for me!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd sell the BMW,and either add those funds to the money you get from selling the Civic and buying a car you can both equally enjoy,or add the funds to improving an asset (house) that appreciates in value, rather than buying a car that will do the opposite.

You can tell I'm in need of therapy,because I'm becoming sensible,quite a shock for me!
Too much of the pink KA Ian?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Too much of the pink, Ian?
No where near enough Del

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Nickers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking for a Bmw

335i???
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

We need to get you a shot of "fat ass V8", stat

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers guys.

As iv had a vxr before id want a similar spec which is quite hard to find.

The st isnt something iv ever had a proper look at tbh but I have heard they tend to be a better all round car.

Unfortunately going down one to car isnt an option as her indoors wont have it.

The house itself is brand new and theres not much we can do to it at the moment.

May have to go and take an st out, orange of course!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
What about looking smaller? Or do you need a Focus/Astra sized car?

I'm think Renaultsport Clio 197/300 if you want something that's really good fun. Should be cheaper to run too, and as long as you stay away from Renault dealerships they're not bad to own.

But if you don't need something particularly practical, what about a 2-seater, possible convertible? I swapped from a 54-plate Z4 with the 3.0 231ps M54 engine to my e90 purely because I needed back seats. Something like that can be had for ~£6k and running costs are reasonable. Great fun.
      01-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
And well done on biking to work. I've been doing so for about 5 years now and only rarely take the car in. If I had to drive to work every day there's no f**king way I'd be driving around in a 330i...
      06-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Afternoon gents,

Its been a while and im still no further with this.

Had to tax the car this week and that gave me a chance to look at the MOT certificate. The car has done less than 2600 miles since it was tested on the 25/09/12!

I did look at a Boxster but was offered a ridiculous (in my mind part exchange value) so am back to square one!

The Civic has now gone as we straight swapped it for an Astra Twintop (I know the roof will die on us at some point) so the 3 series has become our practical car again.

I have started looking at 335i coupe's on 06/56 plates with around 60k on but have no idea how these fair with infrequent use or as the miles get higher.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as im slowly going mad....
Appreciate 0