E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Sonic Tuning S1 Coilovers review

01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
boosted.e92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Where is sonictuning made?
I believe the actual coils are a Taiwanese product. SonicTuning is the vendor that sells them.

http://www.alibaba.com/member/tw105047474/aboutus.html
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
I haven't lowered the front or adjusted the dampening yet. im still waiting for my spacers, should be here tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

jose, I am looking a the threaded rear shock, trying to visualize the adjustment. Is there also a separate adjustment collar for the spring, like on most e90 coilovers? Since the rear shock body is adjustable, does that mean you can adjust for shock travel once these are installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #26
shaizada
A Happy Dreamer
Rep
Drives: BSM '22 F93 M8C GC, AG '19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Im glad you like yours, cuz Im not too happy with mine.
Please elaborate...I'm very curious about what the complaints are on this set of coilovers as the current reviews are pretty sparse.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

From what the OP said in his review, theses will be perfect for me. Honestly no matter what brand you get unless youre going to track your car just how fast can you take corners on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
I haven't lowered the front or adjusted the dampening yet. im still waiting for my spacers, should be here tuesday.
Do you have any idea where the dampening is set as it is? especially with regard to the ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #29
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Jose,
Can you elaborate more on a few things.

1. What the spring rates are for these?

2. Where the adjusters are for the damping? Top of the shock in the rear, underneath in the front, etc.

3. What is the lowering range?

Thanks man, these look really interesting and I do appreciate the emphasis on comfort.
8KG Front | 9KG Rear.

Top Front & rear.

Without any preload you can lower up to 3 inches, with preload on the spring you can do 3.5 inches or even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted.e92 View Post
I did some research on these since they looked like an attractive alternative to the other suspensions for our cars. It turns out that these coils have been sold under various names and are available for a number of cars ranging from Scions and Subarus to Audis and BMWs. The other names I found for these coils include "STD" and "Kido Racing" if you want to find more information.

Although these coils are sold for many platforms, the only real review I found was from a Scion xB owner who liked them. Most other posts related to these coils were from people trying to find out more information on them. For all I know, they could be great, but it seems like a lot of people are sticking with the brand name suspensions.
Our factory produce for alot of major brand including the ones you mentioned, they have 13 years of experience manufacturing springs & struts with racing background.

Quote:
Where do the shocks adjust from?
To adjust height by rotating the lower mount for the front and the rear.
To adjust damping by turning the knob on the top of the strut for the front and the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Where is sonictuning made?
Parts are made in Taiwan and Japan(for all of the forging and valve), assembled in Taiwan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted.e92 View Post
I believe the actual coils are a Taiwanese product. SonicTuning is the vendor that sells them.

http://www.alibaba.com/member/tw105047474/aboutus.html
The factory supply parts and BBK for Kido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
jose, I am looking a the threaded rear shock, trying to visualize the adjustment. Is there also a separate adjustment collar for the spring, like on most e90 coilovers? Since the rear shock body is adjustable, does that mean you can adjust for shock travel once these are installed?
We recommend not putting a load on the spring, but in the rear you can adjust the collar of the spring (Rear spring sits on adjustable perch).

You can adjust the pre-load of the spring with the Front coils as well by raising the collar locks.

With the damping setting being around mid range ( 5-7), the quality of the ride and comfort is very similar to OEM sports suspension. Body roll during high speed turns sudden braking is dramatically reduced.

Dialing up to 9-12 range is good enough to go to a track day, or aggressive driving. (little too stiff for my taste)

If anyone is local to us feel free to drop by anytime, we have few cars you can ride in!

Keep in mind, the same system sells for $1195+ by other vendors.

Just installed time attack series in one of our project cars E36 M3 with 14kg and 18kg spring rate.

Last edited by jose_sonictuning; 01-03-2011 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #30
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Jose - Thanks for all of the information. Can you detail the warranty on these please?

Sachin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_sonictuning View Post
8KG Front | 9KG Rear.

Top Front & rear.

Without any preload you can lower up to 3 inches, with preload on the spring you can do 3.5 inches or even more.

Our factory produce for alot of major brand including the ones you mentioned, they have 13 years of experience manufacturing springs & struts with racing background.

To adjust damping by turning the knob on the top of the strut for the front and the rear.

Parts are made in Taiwan and Japan(for all of the forging and valve), assembled in Taiwan.

We recommend not putting a load on the spring, but in the rear you can adjust the collar of the spring (Rear spring sits on adjustable perch).

You can adjust the pre-load of the spring with the Front coils as well by raising the collar locks.

With the damping setting being around mid range ( 5-7), the quality of the ride and comfort is very similar to OEM sports suspension. Body roll during high speed turns sudden braking is dramatically reduced.

Dialing up to 9-12 range is good enough to go to a track day, or aggressive driving. (little too stiff for my taste)

If anyone is local to us feel free to drop by anytime, we have few cars you can ride in!

Just installed time attack series in one of our project cars E36 M3 with 14kg and 18kg spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #31
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_sonictuning View Post
8KG Front | 9KG Rear.

Top Front & rear.

Thanks Jose for the great info, one last thing, what is the minimum lowering amount as I dont want to slam my car or even really lower it much at all.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #32
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Jose for the great info, one last thing, what is the minimum lowering amount as I dont want to slam my car or even really lower it much at all.
Not a problem, you can keep your stock height ( or even raise it if you like haha).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #33
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Can somebody please convert the 8kg and 9kg into lbs spring rates, thanks
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #34
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep

450lbs=8KG 500lbs=9KG

Google does everything for you
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #35
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wow, thats hefty. Cant wait for a review.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
shaizada
A Happy Dreamer
Rep

I believe there is more the the feel of the suspension that just the spring rate. It is a combination of the spring rate WITH the dampening and rebound that gives the full feel of the car. Different struts would react differently with various spring rates and what might be soft on a certain strut, might be very harsh on a another strut design.

We will see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #37
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaizada View Post
I believe there is more the the feel of the suspension that just the spring rate. It is a combination of the spring rate WITH the dampening and rebound that gives the full feel of the car. Different struts would react differently with various spring rates and what might be soft on a certain strut, might be very harsh on a another strut design.

We will see how it goes
Any news yet?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #38
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
finally got my 10mm spacers installed. Dampening settings are 5 front and 6 rear.

now i need to get my fenders rolled, raise the rears just a tiny bit, and buy another pair of spacers for the rear.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #39
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep

BillLee - still happy with the ride quality? Do you feel all the cracks in the road?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #40
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot Sachin View Post
BillLee - still happy with the ride quality? Do you feel all the cracks in the road?
yes, still happy with the ride. I'm already used to it, so it doesn't bother me much.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #41
shaizada
A Happy Dreamer
Rep

Quote:
Any news yet?
Suspension came in. Now I just need a place to install it that knows what they are doing and DOESN'T cost $250 like most places. Fraggy, got any hook ups for installing coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #42
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaizada View Post
Suspension came in. Now I just need a place to install it that knows what they are doing and DOESN'T cost $250 like most places. Fraggy, got any hook ups for installing coilovers?
Nope, I paid $280 for my PSS9s to be installed, but the guy got it done is 2 hours But I no longer trust him when the last time he installed my rear springs for my BMW Perf suspension with no top hats and I had no idea until another shop was putting in the M3 Sways and saw.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #43
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hey, do me a favor if you can. Can you play with the shocks and make sure that they click nicely at each number? One of the things I hated with the PSS9s was that they did not each have 8 distinct clicks. Some had 6, some had clicks inconsistently. Id go to adjust and turn the dial and sometimes NO clicks at all. Id do it over and over and over to get it.

The biggest frustration was that sometimes the damping was not equal from side to side and sometimes you didnt really know, it was a bit disconcerting. Also, sometimes the clicks were in different parts of the range, just not consistent at all.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #44
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for the write up. Your car looks awesome now, OP!