E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pros/Cons of owning a stick

02-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #133
Arena Motor Dude
Master of ________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i e90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by s330i View Post
IMO, everyone should learn to drive a stick. Never know when you could end up in a situation where a manual is your only option. I made my son learn to drive a manual, and will do the same in a few years with my younger son.

Anyways - there is nothing better than driving a 6 speed MT!!
My dad taught me how to drive stick when I was 8 and now my first BMW is a stick... hi everybody by the way, I am new to the BMW forums! There isn't an introduction thread is there.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #134
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

+1, I would even go one step further, you don't really know how to drive until you know how to drive a stick.

unless you don't travel outside North America all your life, you will soon realize 90% of the outside world drive on a different transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s330i View Post
IMO, everyone should learn to drive a stick. Never know when you could end up in a situation where a manual is your only option. I made my son learn to drive a manual, and will do the same in a few years with my younger son.

Anyways - there is nothing better than driving a 6 speed MT!!
      02-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #135
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena Motor Dude View Post
My dad taught me how to drive stick when I was 8 and now my first BMW is a stick... hi everybody by the way, I am new to the BMW forums! There isn't an introduction thread is there.
you make your own thread with PICTURES and welcome.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #136
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena Motor Dude View Post
I drove a stick on a Kubota 17 hp diesel when I was about 10. True story my dad told me you can't change gears while you're moving you have to choose one gear. I was driving to HS when I was 14.

Went to the website--even the Kubota has an automatic transmission today. It's like we're just one lazy society that has to have everything done for us. Very bizarre!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #137
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

There are cons to driving stick?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #138
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxy View Post
There are cons to driving stick?
1 leg?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #139
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
there are no cons, end of thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #140
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Love my manual car. At the beginning when I was learning how to drive stick, I regretted not buying DCT but now I am in love with manual tranny my car has. It is way more fun!!!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #141
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
Really? You can't see the positives of an AT in a car that is used primary as a daily driver?
No. At our house we have two sticks and one auto. My commute to work is very predictable, 24 miles of bumper to bumper traffic daily. I prefer either of the sticks to the auto.

The people that love autos, putting something into D, and then P, and nothing else, you do win, because model by model, cars that once had a clutch do not anymore. But it doesn't mean that people who like cars with a clutch must like cars without better.

That's like telling a photographer to shoot on auto, it's better. Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with what that photographer prefers.

The lamest argument for the auto tranny in this massive thread: "I've been driving a clutch since before most of you were born."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #142
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
No. At our house we have two sticks and one auto. My commute to work is very predictable, 24 miles of bumper to bumper traffic daily. I prefer either of the sticks to the auto.
That's great that you prefer the manual in your situation. My commute is similar, and I find no great joy in driving a manual in traffic, which is what my car spends 90% of its time doing. For a weekend car, manual all the way, but for mundane daily duties, I prefer the practicality of an automatic, especially in a car that must be driven occasionally by drivers who are unable to drive a manual.

Quote:
The people that love autos, putting something into D, and then P, and nothing else, you do win, because model by model, cars that once had a clutch do not anymore. But it doesn't mean that people who like cars with a clutch must like cars without better.
I'm not sure that anyone truly "loves" an auto, it's a choice based on practicality rather than passion. Both have their place. I find that a good paddle-shifted AT, or even better a DSG, gives me enough control that I don't miss the manual much. Keep in mind that this is purely a street-driven car, so the limitations of the ZF's programming (automatic shift at redline, downshift at full throttle when in the wrong gear) is not a big deal.

Quote:
That's like telling a photographer to shoot on auto, it's better. Maybe so, but it has nothing to do with what that photographer prefers.
Coincidentally, I am an amateur photographer, and I normally shoot in aperture-priority mode rather than manual. Why? Because in 90% of the non-flash shooting that I do, there is little to no advantage in choosing a shutter speed other than the one camera would choose. Manually selected exposure compensation helps in tricky lighting conditions.

Quote:
The lamest argument for the auto tranny in this massive thread: "I've been driving a clutch since before most of you were born."
This applies to me how? :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #143
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

People who really knows how to drive MT knows it is actually less tiring to drive MT than AT in stop-and-go traffic. The most tiring part of a commute is actually using the brake-pedal. If you know the specific gear to use at a certain speed, you will control your car through the use of throttle only.

This is especially true for 335i since the torque curve of the engine is so flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
That's great that you prefer the manual in your situation. My commute is similar, and I find no great joy in driving a manual in traffic, which is what my car spends 90% of its time doing. For a weekend car, manual all the way, but for mundane daily duties, I prefer the practicality of an automatic, especially in a car that must be driven occasionally by drivers who are unable to drive a manual.

02-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #144
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
I drove a stick on a Kubota 17 hp diesel when I was about 10. True story my dad told me you can't change gears while you're moving you have to choose one gear. I was driving to HS when I was 14.

Went to the website--even the Kubota has an automatic transmission today. It's like we're just one lazy society that has to have everything done for us. Very bizarre!
Well, I wouldn't call a Kubota a real tractor anyway....

and my Dad INVENTED the clutch!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #145
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
People who really knows how to drive MT knows it is actually less tiring to drive MT than AT in stop-and-go traffic. The most tiring part of a commute is actually using the brake-pedal. If you know the specific gear to use at a certain speed, you will control your car through the use of throttle only.
When I was driving an MT, I would've agreed, but now that I've become more accustomed to driving an AT, I've found that maintaining a slightly longer following distance pretty much does the same thing with an AT.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #146
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My E90 335 is a stick - my first stick shift car in 15 years of driving automatics. I never regretted driving into the city, even when the Rock tree arrived and filming of Rising of The Dark Knight closed off Queensborogh Bridge, and you find yourself on 47th street in Theater District going to Astoria, Queens - I still drove my car in that mayhem.
If I were reimbursed for parking I would drive to work every day.
      02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #147
328i M-Sport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport Sedan

E90 has such a light clutch that traffic is not that much of a problem even in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #148
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post

This is especially true for 335i since the torque curve of the engine is so flat.
+1

Quote:
E90 has such a light clutch that traffic is not that much of a problem even in NYC.
+2
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #149
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

I absolutely love MT and have no problems driving it even in heavy stop-n-go traffic.

My only concern in this case is - premature clutch wear. This bugs me if I get into the traffic, not the fact that I need to do extra moves.

Otherwise - MT it is total enjoyment.

With AT I always feel like it's switching not like I would do, also, I hate when AT switches gears while cornering during "inspired" driving.

But as DCT transmissions get more production use, I wouldn't mind trying and buying the car with one.

I tried SMG in e60... and... didn't really get it...
Appreciate 0