E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID fog lights easy as pie and a cost of only $60.95

10-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #397
Alex1904
Rep
Drives: Bmw 06 325i

Heya guys I was told I had to install the capacitor on the car harnesst it self don't wanna do that. I see everyone doing it on the bulb harnesst is this a different way of doing it besides the car harnesst? Do you guys know if the capacitor work From DDM that's the kit I got HID 5000k thanks guys any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #398
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

They look a bit too yellow.ish but good job.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #399
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

Lurker here, just want to throw some advice for the folks wiring, if you want it to look cleaner and easier to heatshrink/liquid electrical tape then wire it more inline with the wiring. Nothing says that you have to strip the wires at the same spot. Turn the cap inline with the wiring, mark where it intersects with the + and - wires and then strip and solder there, use some liquid electrical tape and heatshrink and it'll look much cleaner and less ghetto.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #400
derkenblosh
Private
Rep
Drives: White 335D & White Suburban

These are 12v xenon bulbs correct? Not HIDs (high voltage 80-90v, 20k+ stop ignite)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:36 AM   #401
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkenblosh View Post
These are 12v xenon bulbs correct? Not HIDs (high voltage 80-90v, 20k+ stop ignite)
It's 2018 now, just go with a 12,000 lumen LED set for $35
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #402
Rayzar
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

What kind of bulbs you use hid 3000k yellow fog lights or ? This is exactly the color i am looking for
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #403
Rayzar
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iredline View Post
Well its official.... the DDM Tuning Slim Line HID kits work flawlessly with the simple addition of a 4700uf capacitor. Ive included pics of the Capacitor needed that can be obtained at any Radio Shack for about $5.48/ea. In addition with the HID kit for only $49.99 I have only $60.95 (+ shipping) in this beautiful kit. I opted for the 3000K look because I think it contrasts well against the AW but DDM has a variety of temps for bulbs. Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

PS - I tried the error cancelors that DDM offers and they are a no go. They do not work on our cars.

As Packaged from Radio Shack

Spliced into HID harness (Ensure arrow referring to negative is wired to ground wire on harness.

Soldering of capacitor

Everything layed out full view. This is the harness portion that plugs into bulb

What kind of bulbs you use hid 3000k yellow fog lights or ? This is exactly the color i am looking for
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #404
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Reread the reply you just quoted.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #405
Steini9494
Enlisted Member
Iceland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d LCI

I've seen lots of people put HIDs in their e90 fog lights, but doesn't it glare like hell? As far as i know, every time you put HIDs in a regular halogen housing, you get lots of glare, which is horrible for oncoming traffic, somehow i never see anyone mention that when people are discussing E90 fog lamps, is it somehow different? My e39 had HIDs in the fog lights and although they were correctly aligned, there was still a LOT of glare. Any insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #406
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steini9494 View Post
I've seen lots of people put HIDs in their e90 fog lights, but doesn't it glare like hell? As far as i know, every time you put HIDs in a regular halogen housing, you get lots of glare, which is horrible for oncoming traffic, somehow i never see anyone mention that when people are discussing E90 fog lamps, is it somehow different? My e39 had HIDs in the fog lights and although they were correctly aligned, there was still a LOT of glare. Any insight on this?
A lot of the glare can depend on the housing and how the factory reflector is set up.

That being said, HID are becoming a little bit (dare I say) outdated?

The new LED's available offer more output and achieve the same light reflective properties like the factory halogen, reducing glare. Considering look into the LED Fog Light options available. I'm currently running 6000 Lumen which is nearly twice the output of HID and minimal glare.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #407
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

LED is definitely the way to go.
      07-30-2018, 02:52 AM   #408
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
LED is definitely the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
A lot of the glare can depend on the housing and how the factory reflector is set up.

The new LED's available offer more output and achieve the same light reflective properties like the factory halogen, reducing glare. Considering look into the LED Fog Light options available. I'm currently running 6000 Lumen which is nearly twice the output of HID and minimal glare.

[IMG]https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-zqu79...on&imbypass=on[/IMG]
I third these replies. LED all around. Except for the brake lights that illuminate during braking. Those guys are brighter than LED. I however love the yellow fog lights, but hate the combo with orange turn signal lights. Hence my LED matched front and rear yellow LED blinkers. I get compliments weekly. Second pic is orange btw.
Attached Images

08-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #409
D@rkSt@r
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

Quote:

I haven't seen LED which produce 6000lumen per bulb. The advertised lumen would probably be per set. HID will produce at least 3200 lumen per bulb but the LED will last longer as long as they can shad there heat. I have had LED in my headlights ( the non reflector ones) last about 2 years before one started to go bad. Also heat related..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #410
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D@rkSt@r View Post
I haven't seen LED which produce 6000lumen per bulb. The advertised lumen would probably be per set. HID will produce at least 3200 lumen per bulb but the LED will last longer as long as they can shad there heat. I have had LED in my headlights ( the non reflector ones) last about 2 years before one started to go bad. Also heat related..
These are new to the market.

I have them installed on my personal vehicles as well as some friends / family and plenty of customers.

It's actually 6000 Lumen per bulb, nearly 2x brighter then HID.

Note the ones pictured are not the 6000 Lumen version. LED technology is kind of like computers back in the early 2000's, it's constantly changing and improving for the better. Not only with output but longevity too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #411
Steini9494
Enlisted Member
Iceland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrink View Post
I third these replies. LED all around. Except for the brake lights that illuminate during braking. Those guys are brighter than LED. I however love the yellow fog lights, but hate the combo with orange turn signal lights. Hence my LED matched front and rear yellow LED blinkers. I get compliments weekly. Second pic is orange btw.
That actually looks pretty cool. Does it glare more than a halogen bulb? Do they flicker when the car is on but the fogs are off, and can you choose exactly which color temp you want? Got a link to the product? I have H11 bulbs in my LCI fog lights, i want a deep yellow for my fogs. Yours looks good, but based on the pics you posted, the color is too white-ish for me if you get what i mean, personally i'd lean more towards the "amber" yellow color, i think 2500k color temp would be my style.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #412
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrink View Post
That actually looks pretty cool. Does it glare more than a halogen bulb? Do they flicker when the car is on but the fogs are off, and can you choose exactly which color temp you want? Got a link to the product? I have H11 bulbs in my LCI fog lights, i want a deep yellow for my fogs. Yours looks good, but based on the pics you posted, the color is too white-ish for me if you get what i mean, personally i'd lean more towards the "amber" yellow color, i think 2500k color temp would be my style.
I'll dig up a link. I didn't like the contrast between the yellow dogs and amber corner lights. Hence the yellow led corners as well. Even replaced the rear turn signals to the same LEDs. Loads of compliments. These are just one temp btw. Not adjustable. 3000k. Mine are HB4 size though for my MSport bumper. The ones in the pic at H11 in my stock fog lights. They do flicker, but only if you don't code out bulb check and voltage check. Same with my LED angel eyes. Any LED will flicker unless coded or using a canbus load system in between.
      08-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #413
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Just want to clarify flicker vs twinkle for bulb checks.

Any LED will have twinkle during the bulb check.

Flicker is typically related to when some aftermarket LED fade on or off.

The cold and hot bulb check twinkle is a lot quicker and subtle. They can be coded with ease though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #414
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Quote:

[IM]https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-zqu79chow3/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/15721/17076/bmw-h7-led-headlight-kit-4500-lumens-3__40969.1496192412.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbypass=o n[/IMG]
What about LEDs to replace the headlight xenons? Is that a thing yet? Or am I still better off just dropping $150 on a set of CBBs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #415
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu? View Post
What about LEDs to replace the headlight xenons? Is that a thing yet? Or am I still better off just dropping $150 on a set of CBBs
Those same lights are intended for use in low beam, high beam and/or fog light.

Yes, it's definitely a thing. I have a few locals who personally run the same lights in their low beams and plenty of customers too.

The benefit of these LED compared to HID is they don't glare as much and utilize the factory housing reflectors for better output and less glare all while having nearly 2x output of HID. Win Win Win.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #416
Steini9494
Enlisted Member
Iceland
Rep

Quote:
Those same lights are intended for use in low beam, high beam and/or fog light.

Yes, it's definitely a thing. I have a few locals who personally run the same lights in their low beams and plenty of customers too.

The benefit of these LED compared to HID is they don't glare as much and utilize the factory housing reflectors for better output and less glare all while having nearly 2x output of HID. Win Win Win.
Does it snow where you live? Are they error free? I'd love to have LED bulbs in my high beams and low beams, my dad has LED bulbs in his land rovers high beams, and those are just some cheap ebay ones, but the light output is completely stunning, it's like 5 times brighter than my E91 high beams. Reason i'm wondering if it snows is because i'm in Iceland, and i'm wondering if they get hot enough to melt snow and ice off the headlight lens, because if they don't, i don't think i could use LED bulbs in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #417
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does it snow where you live? Are they error free? I'd love to have LED bulbs in my high beams and low beams, my dad has LED bulbs in his land rovers high beams, and those are just some cheap ebay ones, but the light output is completely stunning, it's like 5 times brighter than my E91 high beams. Reason i'm wondering if it snows is because i'm in Iceland, and i'm wondering if they get hot enough to melt snow and ice off the headlight lens, because if they don't, i don't think i could use LED bulbs in my car.
It does snow where I live.

The LED are not nearly as warm to the housing as a halogen/incandescent.

However, there are products available that can coat your lenses to reduce icing.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:21 AM   #418
Steini9494
Enlisted Member
Iceland
Rep

Quote:
It does snow where I live.

The LED are not nearly as warm to the housing as a halogen/incandescent.

However, there are products available that can coat your lenses to reduce icing.
I think i'd still want to run halogens with the low beams, but LEDs like this might be just perfect for the high beams, i'd like to get a set but arent they a bitch to install? Don't know if it's different, but i have the european ZKW brand headlights, and putting just a regular halogen bulb in the high beams is a b*tch and a half, the bulb sits on some long stick that you have to use to pull it out and it falls off over and over again, and there's very little space all around. And do you sell those? What's the price?
Appreciate 0