E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > experiences dealing with BMW owners

02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
its
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

experiences dealing with BMW owners

Just a personal rant: selling items on this board has been one of the worse experiences ever, in comparison with other boards that I have been on (nasioc..s2ki. etc). Mostly forums for vehicles that are cheaper than a BMW.

I have received more low balls for items (new items mind you), different picture request and flakes than I ever had.

If the item is new and I'm already selling it for almost half the price or at the price of a used item, I'm not going to sell it any cheaper. Nothing wrong with making an offer but when the offer almost equates to me giving the item away; 30% off my already low selling price, I'm giving you common forum courtesy by not telling you to f*ck off.

Not everyone is a fanboy or forum junkie. we have a life outside of the forum. If there are good, clear photos of the item that illustrate the condition of the items as it is, don't expect more. I'm not going to spend more time taking more photos; photos of the item on different models or installed. When you're buying new car items online, half the time you don't even see the actual items you paid for.

Talk is cheap. Based on the amount of flakers I have encountered, alot of the members are really cheap. And half the time when an argument about other cars come in mind, we get the usual -how much cheaper other vehicles are/more our vehicles cost.

We're talking about owners that own a 40-50k+ car? You would think there's more sensibility/courtesy/culture.

- end rant.

I'm sure many of you have had experiences buy/selling items on the forum. Is what I'm going through some common here on e90post?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. Some people are cheap ("frugal") by nature which is why they may have more fiscal freedom to be able to buy the things they do. Some people are just cheap. And some people want what they can't really afford.

I don't necessarily think its just BMW owners, though. Even putting stuff up on craigslist yields some interesting things, too.

As far as an elitist attitudes, IMO, screw them. Anyone whose car is what identifies them has issues and needs to grow up. Some of these people pay more for their cars than they really can afford to so they have nothing to brag about. That or their parents got the car for them (or it is their parent's car). I've heard people with rusted out E30's or E36's brag about how they drive a BMW........yeah.....great. I'll buy your car right now for 1k on craigslist. Hell.....make it several so I can say I have a fleet of BMWs.... lol
      02-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Man how do you think we drive $40k+ cars??? we know how to do business, buy cheap and sell expensive. just like stock market.

you want to sell to wolfs?! that is what you got.

I sold more items on this forums then you would believe and is always like that. only the strongest will survive. is the law of nature.

Sorry for you!!!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Can you post some pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Can you post some pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

An anonymous transaction over long distances without an escrow can easily devolve into a complete train-wreck if one of the people involved cannot be trusted. It's often a good idea to use an abundance of caution and extra pictures on request help prove that you actually have the item and aren't trying to rip anyone off.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass but that's part of the game. If that trouble is too much for anyone then they can always use eBay and link the auction here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
+1 and with the eBay route you also have a chance of getting non e90 post members to buy the item as well!

If it is worth as much as you are asking for it that is...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

How do you expect to save money when you aren't cheap? If you spend all your money for the asking price you will never save money. People like deals. Same reason why you bought your car. You felt you got a deal and bought it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

i hope you die in a fire
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I know what you mean

I've sold stuff half of what I asked for sometimes

and I've bought stuff also at half of what other's have asked for

it's a cycle :P
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I just got some Crate & Barrel dining chairs from this DOUCHE BAG on craigslist. He was such a dick about his price, the 4 chairs new were $1200 and he was asking $1100. (They WERE only a month old, but still, they're used.)

So I had a bunch of friends email him and offer him like $500, $300, had him take pictures, scheduled times to see them and then canceled etc.

So finally he got so sick of dealing with cheap deadbeats he sold them for $800.

Kinda low-down, hee.
      02-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
I just got some Crate & Barrel dining chairs from this DOUCHE BAG on craigslist. He was such a dick about his price, the 4 chairs new were $1200 and he was asking $1100. (They WERE only a month old, but still, they're used.)

So I had a bunch of friends email him and offer him like $500, $300, had him take pictures, scheduled times to see them and then canceled etc.

So finally he got so sick of dealing with cheap deadbeats he sold them for $800.

Kinda low-down, hee.

Genius! I might try that some time...
      02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

at the end of the day you have to realize that you can't be so gullible and buy/sell whatever a "member" wants to buy/sell, because you never know who's on the other end of the internet. it could be some asshole or someone honest so naturally people will question your validity and try to low-ball you like montego did to that person on craigslist to see if you're being honest with your price and item description. best bet is ebay and provide a link if you want to offer it to members.
      02-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
its
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

no. I absolutely agree with some of statements when it comes down to online transactions. You never know when it comes down to transactions online over the internet. especially craigslist. even ebay for that matter. and that's exactly my point about this forum. Is is not a forum/community? what kind of community is it if everyone's as equally cynical towards one and other.?

and take that statement with a grain of salt. I'm not taking being absolutely gullible and naive. ( ie.. western union..buying items without pictures...etc).. at least have some basic courtesy/sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
its
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
How do you expect to save money when you aren't cheap? If you spend all your money for the asking price you will never save money. People like deals. Same reason why you bought your car. You felt you got a deal and bought it.

Asian sensation? --- enough said. I'm not being racist. I'm Asian myself. and I know how much Asians like to bargain.

Of course People like deals. But I'm not buying/selling items at a roadside market. I'm on a BMW forum/community. If the asking is price is fair, I will pay for it.

Doesn't mean I don't save. but It's like trying to make a quick buck off items you're trying to sell your friends by being cheap (I'm using this term loosely because this is a forum of like-minded people that share the same interest). I don't see a point in doing that at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
its
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
Man how do you think we drive $40k+ cars??? we know how to do business, buy cheap and sell expensive. just like stock market.

you want to sell to wolfs?! that is what you got.

I sold more items on this forums then you would believe and is always like that. only the strongest will survive. is the law of nature.

Sorry for you!!!

Good luck

those are extremely cliché expressions. I'm not saying that not how business is conducted. But there's alot more to it. whats different about stock market is the human factor.

I'm not trying to make a quick deal and take off.

dont need to be sorry. But at the rate the transactions are going, I will need the luck.

thank you.

Last edited by its; 02-10-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
its
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I know what you mean

I've sold stuff half of what I asked for sometimes

and I've bought stuff also at half of what other's have asked for

it's a cycle :P

Thank you. I refused to believe no one else experienced it besides myself. Good point. It is a horrible cycle.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Yeah people like to low ball because they want to get the best deal possible. I don't usually low ball others so I offer what I think is fair. However, sometimes there are things that I don't need but would buy if they are cheap enough. Thus if I could get the price down to where I think is reasonable enough for me to buy then and there, there's no harm in trying.

But yeah, most of the time people don't know how much you got your product for. Thus they're trying to cut your profit down as much as possible (which in turn reduces how much they have to spend). As for buying a car, most people already know the invoice price so they try to stay close to that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
This isn't directed at OP, just in general.

You never know unless you ask. Especially in business. Especially if it's a deal that you could take or leave either way. Negotiating is almost an art; not everyone is cut out for it or good at it. You cN run the risk of insulting someone, and squashing the deal right away, but it's a risk worth taking, IMO

Also, as a seller sometimes it's hard to accept the reality that what you want for something and what it's worth are two totally different things. Ask any real estate agent that! When it come to selling material things used, it's just part of the game. You can always say no, or present evidence supporti g the objects worth.

But there is negotiating and then there is flat out cheap. I swear to god, about a year ago at the grocery store, at the hot prepared food counter, I saw a man try to talk the deli man down on some fried chicken. And he didn't just ask once either!

Last edited by MontegoGoGoGo; 02-10-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Maybe it's the age group. I would think average age on this board is higher than say on the s2k board. I understand you're tired of being low-balled, but it's not really that bad. If someone gives you a bad offer, then turn them down. You can also post in advance that it's non-negotiable if you have a firm price in mind.

As for pics... well, depends on the item really. If you're buying a bodykit from a private party, I'd like some pics to make sure it's in good condition or it's the correct item. You're not obligated to post (more) pics, but it will increase your chances of selling.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

smart people buy bmws, ergo we have smart sellers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
This isn't directed at OP, just in general.

You never know unless you ask. Especially in business. Especially if it's a deal that you could take or leave either way. Negotiating is almost an art; not everyone is cut out for it or good at it. You cN run the risk of insulting someone, and squashing the deal right away, but it's a risk worth taking, IMO

Also, as a seller sometimes it's hard to accept the reality that what you want for something and what it's worth are two totally different things. Ask any real estate agent that! When it come to selling material things used, it's just part of the game. You can always say no, or present evidence supporti g the objects worth.

But there is negotiating and then there is flat out cheap. I swear to god, about a year ago at the grocery store, at the hot prepared food counter, I saw a man try to talk the deli man down on some fried chicken. And he didn't just ask once either!
I'm getting a lot more respect for you after reading some of your comments.

Sorry if we did not went well with each other in the other thread.

Respects DIOKAEF
Appreciate 0