E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Mod friendly dealer in Chicago area

06-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Mod friendly dealer in Chicago area

Hi,

I have 2008 e90 335i that want to take in for turbo replacement due to wastegate issue. Only 68k. I have all the M3 suspension parts, Koni yellow, BMW yellow performance springs, 1m strut brace, Ground Control camber plates, F30 fron and rear brakes, M3 cluster and oversized Apex wheels. No engine and exhaust upgrades. I have heard good words about Patrick in Schaumburg and Elmhurst BMW. I live in Chicago but work in Elk Grove Village. Elmhurst BMW is very close to my work.
I would like to have honest recommendation based on first hand experience. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
LucasM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Your issues do not have any thing to do with your mods so I would say any of them will work for you since you do not have any engine/exhaust mods on you 335
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
trohde78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Agreed, if you don't have any powertrain modifications, then you should be OK at any dealer. If you're still concerned, then talk to Matt at Patrick BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudezet View Post
Your issues do not have any thing to do with your mods so I would say any of them will work for you since you do not have any engine/exhaust mods on you 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Agreed, if you don't have any powertrain modifications, then you should be OK at any dealer. If you're still concerned, then talk to Matt at Patrick BMW.
Thank you! I'm concern because they can always refuse repairing it under warranty due to owners misuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I've had some list of mods including intake always shown at the dealer. Not once did they even denied anything. Even an oxygen sensor with my full exhaust no secondard cats.

I go to laurel bmw....

Laurel is my preffered dealer than Patrick.

Bill jacobs is one of the worst dealers I have went to. Been there a few times many family and friends go there and tell me so many stories.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOnShake View Post
I go to laurel bmw....
Laurel is my preffered dealer than Patrick.
Who do I need to see there?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep

Go see Steve Olsen. Laurel BMW is not too far from that dealer. Trust me Laurel is what I recommend to everyone and they always text me and call me thanking me. Many people got denied at bill Jacobs for even warranty work and subframe recalls etc and laurel always took care of them.

It might be a drive but considering how expensive turbos are it may be worth it...

BMW covers Turbos on the N54 until what mileage?
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
LucasM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOnShake View Post
Go see Steve Olsen. Laurel BMW is not too far from that dealer. Trust me Laurel is what I recommend to everyone and they always text me and call me thanking me.
I called few dealers. They all pretend like they don't know nothing about the wastegate issue on the n54. Only Steve from Laurel BMW openly started talking about it. He ask me for the VIN and scheduled me for June 26th (all other appointments didn't fit my schedule)
Thank you guys for the helpful info. I will let you know of the out come.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
xceedperformance
Rep
Drives: BMW Motorsports

dealers are too afarid of bad CSI to tell you they arent going to cover the repair...If the dealer has good CSI they will take care of it...

(i know i work at a dealer)
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I called few dealers. They all pretend like they don't know nothing about the wastegate issue on the n54. Only Steve from Laurel BMW openly started talking about it. He ask me for the VIN and scheduled me for June 26th (all other appointments didn't fit my schedule)
Thank you guys for the helpful info. I will let you know of the out come.
Hes a really good guy he will take care of you!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

I dropped of f the car on 6/25/15 and as of 6/27/15 I don't know what the outcome would be. They said that the turbos on my car have been replaced already and because of that they will not automatically install new turbos and ask me to pay for diagnoses although the waste gates are rattling and the ECU is recording boost leak 30ff at 2100/2200 rpm. I agreed to pay them and they requested to keep the car for few days. Wish me good luck guys!

*I really don't understand why they wouldn't change the turbos? BMW would pay them. That is how the dealer makes money is not like BMW will ever test my turbos after they are removed. I have been involved enough in this industry to know that they won't"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceedperformance View Post
dealers are too afarid of bad CSI to tell you they arent going to cover the repair...If the dealer has good CSI they will take care of it...

(i know i work at a dealer)
What CSI stands for? Customer Service Index maybe?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

As of 6/30/15 they "don't know" what is wrong with it and why the wastegates are rattling and why the ECU reads 30FF boost leeak past 2100 RPM's. They want me to pay 16h labor for them to take apart the turbos and inspect whether the wastegate flap is functioning properly or not. Crazy right?
I'm left with the impression that they just don't want to help me. I'm going there tonight to talk with them in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #15
MarcusE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
UPDATE

As of 6/30/15 they "don't know" what is wrong with it and why the wastegates are rattling and why the ECU reads 30FF boost leeak past 2100 RPM's. They want me to pay 16h labor for them to take apart the turbos and inspect whether the wastegate flap is functioning properly or not. Crazy right?
I'm left with the impression that they just don't want to help me. I'm going there tonight to talk with them in person.
Damn, I took my car in they revved it on the lift for a few minutes and said screw it we're ordering you new turbos. Im glad I did not have to go through these sort of hoops your experiencing, best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusE92 View Post
Damn, I took my car in they revved it on the lift for a few minutes and said screw it we're ordering you new turbos. Im glad I did not have to go through these sort of hoops your experiencing, best of luck to you.
What dealer did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
MarcusE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
What dealer did you go to?
Anderson BMW in Crystal Lake, I delt with Derek
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Dyeraudio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport

Garage List
Ryan @ Bavarian Auto Werke in Orland Park, IL.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyeraudio View Post
Thank you guys I will give them a try. Orland Park first i guess since is closer to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyeraudio View Post
Thank you guys I will give them a try. Orland Park first i guess since is closer to me.
Elmhurst is flat out terrible.
Patrick won't replace the turbos unless the seal is compromised and leaking oil. I have terrible watergate rattle.
Anderson once refused to replace warranty parts due to my suspension mods. BMWNA helped me out with that one since it was not legal and they wrote it up on my service paperwork. Good luck. I gave up and bought some turbos.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Elmhurst is flat out terrible.
Patrick won't replace the turbos unless the seal is compromised and leaking oil. I have terrible watergate rattle.
Anderson once refused to replace warranty parts due to my suspension mods. BMWNA helped me out with that one since it was not legal and they wrote it up on my service paperwork. Good luck. I gave up and bought some turbos.
Ryan from Bavarian can't help with any warranty work. He is a great guy, no doubt, very approachable, he even reach out to Perillo on my behalf.
I will go there soon and post the experience.

Steve and Joe from Laurel are also good guys but very cut and dry when comes to following BMW procedures which I don't see it as customer oriented attitude.

I can understand BMW expecting you to measure the gap on the waste gate but you can't convince me that you need to remove the turbos for that.

Drop the down pipes and viola, you can measure all you want.

Also, check on returns is random so even if they replace good part the chances of getting into trouble are extremely slim.

Besides my car has codes : 30ff , 30d0 and 3100

The car rattles both cold and hot and throws half CEL pretty much every time I take it on the HWY.

If all of this is not sufficient to warrant replacement then other saying that I bought the wrong car I have nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How long ago was this?
Appreciate 0