E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Its official: The 2007 Model Year Calender (328, 335, no turbo)

11-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #133
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Keep in mind, BMW has a long history of building stroker motors out of smaller blocks to up the displacement. Not too hard to put a different head on the newly designed block to get increase piston stroke and get another 500cc's of displacement. No "throwing away" of the new engine.

Not sure they're going to get another 50hp out of just 500cc without something pretty exotic though ... mabye that along with direct injection?
please read Tierfrunds earlier post

heads have ZERO effect on displacement
ZERO
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #134
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

turbo lag is like 5 yearsss ago. BMW could make a turbo set up with practicially NO turbo lag. 1. most turbo lag. and the worst turbo lag, comes from aftermarket set ups, that were made by aftermarket companys for a range of applications. if BMW spefically made a turbo for a car that was speficially made to HAVE a turbo. the lag would be practically nonexisent. and it would be amazing. and because it wouldnt be a 185 horsepower piece of poop that NEEDS a turbo. the first 1,000 rpms before the turbo kicked in would still be very fast.... i think
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #135
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The last I heard, the 335 is going to be a HYBRID: Part NA, Part Turbo.

. :: 325i :: JB :: ZSP :: Step :: BLK Dakota :: Hot Seats :: Tints :: Pilot A/S :: .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #136
SpeedFreak!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
With all due respect SpeedFreak...its fine if you don't want to post the calender BUT....

....if it shows exactly what you have stated both here & on Bimmerfest, then you can take it to the bank. My recollection of these calenders however, is that they don't show horsepower or engine sizes, just model numbers. I am ASSUMING that you have verified the other details (no turbo, etc.) with someone that is in the know, because you wouldn't want to go around making up horsepower figures.

Incidentally, I talked to an old friend of mine @ Open Road BMW this morning, but he apparently has not seen the calender. I have however, gotten on better terms with him so I plan on stopping by in person sometime next week to see if I can get a peek @ anything in print.
Yes... I have verified... and am extremely confident that the information is accurate. As far as feeling comfortable posting something in print right now... before there has been an "official" announcement... that could get very dicey. For now, any way, you will need to simply enjoy the benefit of having some one share what they have hear and sen first hand. I wish I could do more, but I truly love working for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #137
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Ok, was talking with a few insiders today, and managed to get the following info:

There will be an engine upgrade coming in March, first to be introduced on the coupes, then coming to the sedans and finally trickling down to the touring models by Jan 2007. The engine will be based on the current block, but will make more power due to direct injection. And, there WILL be a turbocharged version! I was actually given a photo of this engine that one of the insides managed to snap with his camera phone; I have attached it.

Drive safe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #138
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

(Hey.... my info has about as much chance of coming to pass as anyone elses! All respect to those who have gotten reliable info in the past, but let's face it: BMW plays things close to the vest. I guarantee they have dozens of mules out there with all sorts of technology in them, and only 1/10 of them will come close to market. The only people who know what will happen for the MY2007 models right now are the highest brass in the company, and I'm pretty sure they won't be telling anyone for a while yet.) Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #139
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Abulia
Ok, was talking with a few insiders today, and managed to get the following info:

There will be an engine upgrade coming in March, first to be introduced on the coupes, then coming to the sedans and finally trickling down to the touring models by Jan 2007. The engine will be based on the current block, but will make more power due to direct injection. And, there WILL be a turbocharged version! I was actually given a photo of this engine that one of the insides managed to snap with his camera phone; I have attached it.

Drive safe.
What kind of HP increases should we expect from the hamster wheel on the new 3 engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #140
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
What kind of HP increases should we expect from the hamster wheel on the new 3 engine?
Depending on the production sample, it should be between 30-70. It's the torque you won't believe though!

Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #141
SpeedFreak!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
(Hey.... my info has about as much chance of coming to pass as anyone elses! All respect to those who have gotten reliable info in the past, but let's face it: BMW plays things close to the vest. I guarantee they have dozens of mules out there with all sorts of technology in them, and only 1/10 of them will come close to market. The only people who know what will happen for the MY2007 models right now are the highest brass in the company, and I'm pretty sure they won't be telling anyone for a while yet.) Drive safe.

I agree... when it comes to absolute certainty. However... I have been right before... and I am confident that I am right now. Only time will tell. The following link includes what I know now. Whether this comes to pass... we shall see. But I can tell you this... the more immediate production predictions are 95% certain... with those further away more subject to change. We shall see...

Future BMW production:
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #142
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
I agree... when it comes to absolute certainty. However... I have been right before... and I am confident that I am right now. Only time will tell. [/URL]
I love insider info, so I am hoping you are right... I just know how close to the vest BMW and Porsche play their upcoming vehicle plans. (Well, not so much Porsche lately... they have been telegraphing their movements over the last few years!) In any case, I can honestly say that I'm not ready to order yet, and was probably going to get an '07 at any rate. So I'm sitting tight to see what shakes out. Worst case scenario: I end up with a 330i. The horror is almost unbearable
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #143
SpeedFreak!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I love insider info, so I am hoping you are right... I just know how close to the vest BMW and Porsche play their upcoming vehicle plans. (Well, not so much Porsche lately... they have been telegraphing their movements over the last few years!) In any case, I can honestly say that I'm not ready to order yet, and was probably going to get an '07 at any rate. So I'm sitting tight to see what shakes out. Worst case scenario: I end up with a 330i. The horror is almost unbearable

You are absolutely right. Sometimes... I wonder how they pull it off. They manage to keep some things completely secret... it's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #144
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

I was hoping they killed that whole V series business off.

Anyone know what the status on the Mercedes R Class is? How have they been selling? I have seen one at the dealership but zero on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 01:23 AM   #145
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Boy, I was already planning on doing an ED on a 330i next spring/summer (as my vacation allows). Gonna have to watch the timing for these new models. Would May be too early for ED on MY07 cars? I'm not familiar with BMW's usual release schedule. TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 01:47 AM   #146
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I knew BMW would never release a turbo car (except for diesels of course).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 03:43 AM   #147
SpeedFreak!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
I was hoping they killed that whole V series business off.

Anyone know what the status on the Mercedes R Class is? How have they been selling? I have seen one at the dealership but zero on the road.

It's funny to see the BMW execs dance around the "v" word (van)... fortunately the V series won't be a minivan... but damn... talk about skirting the line. BMW is watching the R class very closely, just like they're watching the A3. We will get the 1 series... interestingly enough... even though an argument could be made that the A3 has been a failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #148
SpeedFreak!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
Boy, I was already planning on doing an ED on a 330i next spring/summer (as my vacation allows). Gonna have to watch the timing for these new models. Would May be too early for ED on MY07 cars? I'm not familiar with BMW's usual release schedule. TIA
May would be way to early. I would say that Oct. would be the earliest.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #149
Tine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

SpeedFreak!, the only thing that's official here is that you are so full of BS!

Here are the REAL insider info from BMW AG regarding 335i and 3-series coupe / cabrio:

Quote:
Where did this originate from ? Autospies?
I am sorry this is not an official BMW document. for example X6 product code name is F6 and RFK is F5.

apparently reading through suggests a BMW dealer has this document - I am sorry but BMW dealers are not notified and given documents of this nature until product plans are confirmed - There will be no 1er sedan for US market or any market. - 3er will USA and world only small sedan.

considering the drop-off from the current 3.0 six cylinder NG engine towards the next 400+ M3 V8 , BMW need something to bridge the gap between the two - The bridge building is the 335i Which will at first be introduced in the 3er coupe E92 and the 3er cabrio E93.
The sedan and touring will not receive the engine until the beginning of 2007 year ( in europe) .

Other cars will receive the turbo but the X5 will be the first after the 3er models .
The amount of time , energy , direction in the development of these new turbo charged engines is far too expensive to officially cancel there development. Because not only do they lose the 335i but the indevelopment and planning stage - 2.0I turbo , V8 turbo and V12.
Quote:
When the product plan originated BMW 3er Sedan and Touring and 4er Coupe and Cabrio . The designers then set about differing these models like the C-Klasse coupe if you like is the CLK - That idea intrigued the BMW board of management because A- it was different than the original platform vehicle and B - because the E63 6er Coupe and cabrio were waiting in the wings.
The idea was spawn to create something individual than the platform that originated the 3er Sedan and Touring.
Hence why BMW decided to go forth with the 4er plan unfortunately marketing determined that this might not work but the consensus within
BMW favoured the plan to introduce the coupe as the BMW 4er . The plan was put to a vote but the results although extremely close decided to go with resorting the name back to the 3er Coupe.

I think the idea would have worked if they continued to use the 4er .

Now the name has changed but the design ideas live on the new 3er Coupe is seen as individual fromn the 3er sedan and Touring .
Why ? Because it is from the beginning of idea grabbing to be individual in design - (Even the wheel designs differ greatly taking cue from the 6er with elipsoid designs) , performance , and especially dynamics the car has been developed to be more focused as a performance car than the 3er sedan.

With the Cabrio you will have the benefit of a open top cabrio and the enclosure of a coupe - The best of both worlds.

And then you are going to have the 335i BMW's first step in turbocharged petrol engines for a long while. The Coupe will be the first car to have the turbocharged 3.0 under it's hood and then the engine will roll out to the rest of the 3er models before being placed under other BMW products.

If you saw the Autozeitung magazine pictures this is what the Coupe and Cabrio will look like. Sleeker and more individual design than the 3er Sedan.

Also remember with the upcoming E87 based Coupe and Cabrio the positioning of the new 3er Coupe and cabrio will be more clearer.
Like the upcoming X5 will make the X3 positioning more clearer.

And then this magnificent car will then form the basis of the next M3 - Which is said to be using the benchmark of the Porsche 997.
Which the E92 will be closer to than before - The M3 development team also are trying out the AM V8 as the 380 BHP car will no doubt be competition for the E92 - The engineers especially like the sound of the AM V8 and are working to emulate such a roar for the next M3.
A whole department are working on the sound.

The next M3 will expect to be fractionally more expensive than todays car however the payoff will be more power , noise, technology and of course Carbon fibre components such as the roof to offset the increase.
I also can confirm the official press announcement of 3-series Coupe in December 2005. Press pics and movies had been filmed in Madrid, Munich and Glasgow (Science Center; Q-park on Albert Street).

And again: SpeadFreak, stop spreading BS around!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #150
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

And in this corner, we have another contestant, Tine! Tine if it's true that they've already taken press pics and movies of the coupe, it gives me goosebumps! You happen to have any to share with us?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 09:03 AM   #151
Tine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It's true. The pics and movies are taken.
Unfortunately I have no pics yet. The press got the info a week or two before official announcement. Even when I'll have it, I'll be prohibited to publish them when the press embargo is still on. Sorry.

But the press announcement (with some data and pics) will be out in December 2005. Precise date is unknown to me yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #152
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine
It's true. The pics and movies are taken.
Unfortunately I have no pics yet. The press got the info a week or two before official announcement. Even when I'll have it, I'll be prohibited to publish them when the press embargo is still on. Sorry.

But the press announcement (with some data and pics) will be out in December 2005. Precise date is unknown to me yet.
Tine;
Hmmm....I just noticed something.
You're located in Slovenia and you have somewhat close proximity to BMW publications;;
possibly being able to access them very close to their actual public release?

You wouldn't have any ideas about who posted that Slovenian E90 brochure on the
Internet last August, do you?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #153
Tine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

No comment.

Seriuosly, if I had leaked the brochure I would not participate so indiscreetly in BMW forums.

But I can assure you that my info are much more accurate than some BS from "BMW sales person" aka "BMW dealer".

And that I'm still not the prime BMW source.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #154
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine
No comment.

Seriously, if I had leaked the brochure I would not participate so indiscreetly in BMW forums.

And that I'm still not the prime BMW source.
Sorry, I'm not convinced......

...I'm contacting my friends @ Corporate North American Headquarters
in Montvale to launch an investigation!

Seriously, we'll see soon enough what happens.
Looking forward to any pics of the Coupe (if you can get your hands on them).
Appreciate 0