E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 humming after replacing Valve Cover

12-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
shitbox
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i x drive (PWG N55

N55 humming after replacing Valve Cover

Hey guys. I have an e92 335 on which I changed the valve cover yesterday. Since then, I’ve been getting this howling noise coming from the right side of the valve cover around the area parallel to cylinder 3. It’s audible both inside the cabin and out, and is more prominent with the hood closed. When open, it is harder to hear it over the DI.

Originally I thought I may have stressed the fuel lines when I reinstalled them, because the noise seemed to be near the 5th cylinder fuel line, but I went through today and uninstalled, and reinstalled all fuel lines and the issue persists.

I have done some reading and am aware that the symptoms generally line up with a pcv issue, but the noise persists even when I remove the oil cap while the engine is running. There is a slight suction when removing the oil cap, but I’m pretty sure that is just the nature of the n55, a difference from the n54.

Does anyone recognize this noise, or have a point of reference for what to check?

I also get a chirping noise when lightly applying the breaks, but I’m not sure that is related as it has been happening since before I replaced the valve cover.

Car is not throwing a CEL, any codes, drivetrain errors, shadow codes, etc.

Noise from outside with hood closed

Another video with better audio
Appreciate 0