E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > BMW CCA LA HPDE, Auto Club Speedway, October 1st $199

08-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW CCA LA HPDE, Auto Club Speedway, October 1st $199

Register HERE.

This event will run on the INFIELD ONLY portion of the track.

While the infield only portion of the track isn't as "high speed" as the Roval that combines the use of the NASCAR front straight and Turn 2, the infield only portion is far more technical and a much better learning experience than the Roval IMO. Plus the lap times are relatively short, so you get to cram in 1/3rd more laps per session.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

How flexible is BMWCCA to move people up to different group during the day? Do you have a tech sheet showing what needs to be checked by the technician? And can I go to any shop? Or do you specify certain shops for the tech inspection?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
How flexible is BMWCCA to move people up to different group during the day? Do you have a tech sheet showing what needs to be checked by the technician? And can I go to any shop? Or do you specify certain shops for the tech inspection?
Not in a one day format. It's more likely if it's a 2 day format. sometimes we'll see 2-4 people moved up or down the next day if it's a 2 day-er. But if you're REALLY stuck in a group that's cramping your learning curve, and the instructor agrees? It's been done before. Not often, but it's been done.

Of course, it would be a lot easier if you list the number of events attended and accurately and honestly assess your skill level, and every effort will be made to place you in your proper run group. The only exception to that is the A+ group, where you MUST have had prior Pacific Region BMW CCA HPDE experience and has a recommendation from prior BMW CCA instructor or has attended A+ run group with us before.

The tech-form will be uploaded before the end of the week, and will likely be hosted on the Club Haus section of the old website. There's a list of recommended shops on the same page, but you can take it to any qualified mechanic for inspection.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

As professor Farnsworth is fond of saying...

Good news everyone!

We have the outside lot next to the kart track rented for Sunday September 30th for an auto cross. If you want, you can do the auto cross on Sunday and the DE on Monday!

Register for the auto cross here.

This will be an excellent opportunity to try out both formats, back to back. Cost of entry to the AX is $65. Instructors will be provided (for $65 it's pretty darn good).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Will there be lap timing available to see the steady learning curve? I think I might attend this, haven't had professional training and feel like this (along with some other CCA events) will really put me into the SUPER fast drivers. Thanks Hack. Will you be attending?

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
Will there be lap timing available to see the steady learning curve? I think I might attend this, haven't had professional training and feel like this (along with some other CCA events) will really put me into the SUPER fast drivers. Thanks Hack. Will you be attending?
By BMW CCA National rules, we can not and do not allow "live" timing. However, we do not discourage or outlaw data acquisition devices. If you've got an iPhone/Android with Harry's Lap Timer mounted, and want to review your progress post session, you're welcome to do so.

And yes I will be there.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Page 9 of this document, http://bmwclubla.org/media/documents...fo_and_FAQ.pdf, says no timing is allowed. Data acquisition is ok but cannot be visible while on track. Also on page 10 under Video Camera, suction cup mounts are NOT allowed. Seriously???
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Page 9 of this document, http://bmwclubla.org/media/documents...fo_and_FAQ.pdf, says no timing is allowed. Data acquisition is ok but cannot be visible while on track. Also on page 10 under Video Camera, suction cup mounts are NOT allowed. Seriously???
YIKES!!! I just signed up so... that is pretty lame but I hope to gain some knowledgable experience.

EDIT: well at least I mount my camera to my roll bar. :-)

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

That document is about as old as time. Here's what the BMW CCA Ops Manual states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW CCA Ops Manual re: Driving Events
Event Timing. While timing by individuals is discouraged, timing and data acquisition will be allowed with the provision that no real time display can be used inside the car during the session. If the display cannot be turned off, it should be covered so as not to be seen by the driver or instructor while the car is being operated.
I am going to interpret the above as "as long as driver and passenger does not have visibility into LIVE timing to distract him/her, data acquisition devices are allowed and okay." This includes data acquisition software on devices like iPhone or Android based smart phone.

There are no language in the National Ops Manual regarding video equipment, but I am going to say this. If you're going to place a video camcorder in the car, I am going to question the use of suction type mounts if it's a regular sized camcorder. GoPro or Contour HD type recording devices, where the small form factor and relative light weight will be far less likely to do some serious damage when mounted on a suction cup? That I have no problem with. But any sort of video recording device that requires hand held operation, needs to be secured via hardware rather than suction cups. Here, common sense is the prevailing rule.

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you guys have any questions about the rules of the event, post in this thread and I'll answer to the best of my abilities. Since I am also acting as the chapter's driving event registrar, I believe the interpretation and enforcement of the National Driving Events Minimum Standards falls on my shoulders for the L.A. chapter.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That document is about as old as time. Here's what the BMW CCA Ops Manual states:

I am going to interpret the above as "as long as driver and passenger does not have visibility into LIVE timing to distract him/her, data acquisition devices are allowed and okay." This includes data acquisition software on devices like iPhone or Android based smart phone.

There are no language in the National Ops Manual regarding video equipment, but I am going to say this. If you're going to place a video camcorder in the car, I am going to question the use of suction type mounts if it's a regular sized camcorder. GoPro or Contour HD type recording devices, where the small form factor and relative light weight will be far less likely to do some serious damage when mounted on a suction cup? That I have no problem with. But any sort of video recording device that requires hand held operation, needs to be secured via hardware rather than suction cups. Here, common sense is the prevailing rule.

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you guys have any questions about the rules of the event, post in this thread and I'll answer to the best of my abilities. Since I am also acting as the chapter's driving event registrar, I believe the interpretation and enforcement of the National Driving Events Minimum Standards falls on my shoulders for the L.A. chapter.
Good to hear. Can we be friends? Really excited for the event.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, Hack. My camera (Drift Innovation cam) is fine on the suction-cup mount then. Cool!!!

As for the visibility issue of the live timing, I use Harry's LapTimer with an iPhone. I assume that as long as I have the screen to show anything other than the lap time, I'm ok to suction-cup mount on the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
As for the visibility issue of the live timing, I use Harry's LapTimer with an iPhone. I assume that as long as I have the screen to show anything other than the lap time, I'm ok to suction-cup mount on the windshield?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just signed up for this. Hope to have a good time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
The HACK
Rep

Bump.

Better sign up now, price goes up to $249 after Friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Just signed up for this. Hope to have a good time.
Heck ya!!! I will see ya there Mr. Wong!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
The HACK
Rep

Don't forget, there's an auto-cross on Sunday before the DE at Auto Club Speedway too. Get your fill of driving events and do the AX on Sunday and the DE on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Heck ya!!! I will see ya there Mr. Wong!!!
Yeah...I'll see you there, Mike!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
The HACK
Rep

BUMP.

Registration closes after Friday 21st.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
Unfortunately going to have to sit this one out due to having too few days off remaining for the year.

I will be at the Autocross the day before though. Going to start really getting to know my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
The HACK
Rep

Holy crap that is as hot as I've ever seen in Fontana, and I used to work out there. 105+º, are you kidding me?

Hope those of you who managed to make it out had fun and managed to stay relatively cool. OMG I thought I was going to pop like a pop corn at around 2:30pm...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap that is as hot as I've ever seen in Fontana, and I used to work out there. 105+º, are you kidding me?

Hope those of you who managed to make it out had fun and managed to stay relatively cool. OMG I thought I was going to pop like a pop corn at around 2:30pm...
No kidding...my car registered 106°F just before the last session yesterday. It was so hot that my iPad threw out the temperature warning when I tried to transfer the video from the GoPro. It also made managing the oil temp quite interesting for me. I literally looked down at the oil temp gauge on the 2 straights in every lap.

Hack, it was nice to finally put a face to the name. Nice to meet you, and thanks for putting on the event.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

TurboMike's care is a BEAST!!!
Talk about DONE UP!! Just a bit loud.

Quote:

You weren't looking too good out there in the afternoon. All the instructors were signing people off for the last session.
Great event!! Spring Mountain next?

Quote:
No kidding...my car registered 106°F just before the last session yesterday. It was so hot that my iPad threw out the temperature warning when I tried to transfer the video from the GoPro. It also made managing the oil temp quite interesting for me. I literally looked down at the oil temp gauge on the 2 straights in every lap.

Hack, it was nice to finally put a face to the name. Nice to meet you, and thanks for putting on the event.
How did you transfer from the GoPro to the iPad?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-02-2012 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0