E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Interior Parts > wtt or wtb: zsp, heated seats

12-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #45
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Okay, this seat is not heated (damn!), but I am just going to suffer with it and when another comes up (that is heated) I will pick it up.

To get power to the side bolsters and lumbar, simply take the small red/black wire from the seat harness and tap it to the main power (big red wire) going to the seat. Takes about ten minutes. No need for an electrician, just remove the pin and tap of the main power...
      12-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #46
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
Okay, this seat is not heated (damn!), but I am just going to suffer with it and when another comes up (that is heated) I will pick it up.

To get power to the side bolsters and lumbar, simply take the small red/black wire from the seat harness and tap it to the main power (big red wire) going to the seat. Takes about ten minutes. No need for an electrician, just remove the pin and tap of the main power...
thats bogus... i thought you asked for a heated one.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #47
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

I did and the guy thought it was, but he told me he was not 100% sure. The seat was only $400 plus shipping, so no big loss.

Also, this is not from the place you referred me to. By the time I got back to them (about a week later) they had already sold them...

Not world ending, I still have a sport seat, just no heat. Also, I found out that if you do get the sport seat (with heat), it should be pretty much plug and play except for the one wire that needs to be tapped to the main power wire, which only takes about 10 minutes.

So if you get the right seat and want some help with it, just PM me and I will walk you right through it.
      12-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #48
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
I did and the guy thought it was, but he told me he was not 100% sure. The seat was only $400 plus shipping, so no big loss.

Also, this is not from the place you referred me to. By the time I got back to them (about a week later) they had already sold them...

Not world ending, I still have a sport seat, just no heat. Also, I found out that if you do get the sport seat (with heat), it should be pretty much plug and play except for the one wire that needs to be tapped to the main power wire, which only takes about 10 minutes.

So if you get the right seat and want some help with it, just PM me and I will walk you right through it.
jesus that IS cheap.

yeah thanks. I'm working on an msport zsp wheel and airbag i just got and then next will be new summer wheels but if i have some $ after that... seats are the only other thing i can see myself getting other than a supercharger (which will probably never happen... ever)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Unhappy

Quote:

Bringing this thread back to life -- I have a 2006 330Xi with non-zsp seats. I've acquired some zsp seats. My non-zsp seats had heat -- but no lumbar. The new zsp seats have heat and lumbar (as well as the side bolster adjustment).

Install of the passenger seat went smoothly. Everything (including heat, side bolsters and lumbar) just worked with no wiring changes.

The driver side has been a nightmare. I've had the seat in and out a couple of times -- but I just can't get the side bolsters and lumbar to work. My wiring is very different from yours -- but from wiring diagram -- I can see that a red/violet wire powers the side bolsters and lumbar. This also matches what I see in the seat -- as a red/violet wire goes to the side bolster switch. I have no 'big red' wire coming in -- but I do have a big red/brown wire coming in --which appears to be power. I've tried jumpering this to red/violet wire -- but still no side bolsters or lumbar.

I've given up for the night -- but any suggestions will be welcome.

Tomorrow, I'll probably do a few more diagnostics -- to make sure that I really have good connections. I suppose it is possible that the side bolsters/lumbar have a different ground path -- which is not hooked up in my old harness -- but I find that doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #50
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
Bringing this thread back to life -- I have a 2006 330Xi with non-zsp seats. I've acquired some zsp seats. My non-zsp seats had heat -- but no lumbar. The new zsp seats have heat and lumbar (as well as the side bolster adjustment).

Install of the passenger seat went smoothly. Everything (including heat, side bolsters and lumbar) just worked with no wiring changes.

The driver side has been a nightmare. I've had the seat in and out a couple of times -- but I just can't get the side bolsters and lumbar to work. My wiring is very different from yours -- but from wiring diagram -- I can see that a red/violet wire powers the side bolsters and lumbar. This also matches what I see in the seat -- as a red/violet wire goes to the side bolster switch. I have no 'big red' wire coming in -- but I do have a big red/brown wire coming in --which appears to be power. I've tried jumpering this to red/violet wire -- but still no side bolsters or lumbar.

I've given up for the night -- but any suggestions will be welcome.

Tomorrow, I'll probably do a few more diagnostics -- to make sure that I really have good connections. I suppose it is possible that the side bolsters/lumbar have a different ground path -- which is not hooked up in my old harness -- but I find that doubtful.
Well I finally got back to this after driving around for the week with the Lumbar support painfully misadjusted. The problem was that the ground for the bosters/lumbar was not hooked up. I hadn't looked closely at the connector -- which had 2 large brown wires not just one.

So in summary, what I needed to do was to splice:

Red/Violet wirt to Red/Brown wire -- this provided power to the bolsters and lumbar.

Brown Wire to Brown Wire -- both large wires coming from the connector.

I still find it odd that the passenger's side just worked, while the driver's side required splices. Oh well -- now to enjoy my heated, bolstered, sports, leather (my old ones were leatherette), seats.

- andy
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #51
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

reviving this thread...

but can anyone tell me what is the differnce in wiring on a heated sports seat and a non heated sports seats, basically how can u tell if seats have the heated function prior to fitting them any special wiring??
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #52
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf555 View Post
reviving this thread...

but can anyone tell me what is the differnce in wiring on a heated sports seat and a non heated sports seats, basically how can u tell if seats have the heated function prior to fitting them any special wiring??
Well there are a pair of wires in the connector that provide the on/off control to the seat heaters as well as temperature sensor feedback:

Green = Heat on/off
Orange/Green = Temperature Sensor

These wires are fairly narrow gauge (.35 mm diameter). If you see these wires in the seat half of the connector -- I'd guess the seat has heat.

The wires should be on connector pins 2 and 3. The big red/brown power wire is pin 4.
Appreciate 0