E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > waterspots from rain

06-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
trauma2020
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328

waterspots from rain

the first time i washed my car i gave myself waterspots from washing it in the afternoon - in the sun, but that came off when i re-washed it later that evening.

this time i got rained on 2 days ago.. it was pretty dusty before that too, so you can imagine it looked like a mess. so i let it sit in the garage for 1 day, and then i go to wash it this morning but this time the waterspots aren't coming out with just a normal wash.. so then i went over the whole car with a QD which made it a little better, but the spots were still visible. then i tried an AIO on half of my trunk which successfully took off the waterspots..

but my questions is this: i only let the waterspots sit for a day.. why are they so much harder to get off this time? and i am i really going to have to use AIO and then re-seal every time it rains just to get rid of the waterspots?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
http://crspotless.com/

If money is not a big issue. NO water spots. It works great!

If you are a Costco member: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
      06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Rain spots or etching is from mineral deposits from the rain water and the atmosphere or already on your car. It will happen it just all depends.
      06-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
trauma2020
Private
Rep

is the problem maybe that the paint didn't have a good sealant on it yet? i've only had the car for 2 months and had not done an AIO/sealant yet, just a regular wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

This is something that we repair very frequently, especially after those teaser rains here in Orange County followed by sunshine.

A great way to explain whats happening here is as follows.......

Do you remember when you were a little kid and you would take a magnifying glass and burn a leaf using the glass. The reflection of the sun thru the glass magnified the intensity of the heat, therefore burning the leaf.

Paint reacts in the same way, just not as extreme as a leaf. Rain spots or etching is from mineral deposits from the rain water, combine this with the heat of the sun on these water spots, and you get immediate spotting.

It is unfortunate, and inevitable regardless of what protection is on your vehicle this can occour. Depending on the the type of paint some are more prone to staining then others.

The positive is that this is usually reversable if you know the technique.

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
blackpepper
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi coup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
http://crspotless.com/

If money is not a big issue. NO water spots. It works great!

If you are a Costco member: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
Great Idea, yet the problem is water spots not from washing, but from random splashing, rain etc. I find it impractical to wash my car every time it rains, it is just unrealistic. So the question is, is there an everyday simple way to clean these spots, or should one consider them as inevitable, and just live with them.
I personally just wait for my semi annual car treat, and do the wash-clay-aio-seal thing again, and hopefully get read of these spots.
BP
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P194/16-oz-S1/

Your welcome.

You can get those spots at any time so you can use this stuff to take them all off at ONCE. It takes some time to do a whole car though but it works great!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

What you need to understand is that these waterspots created by the rain.....ect..... are usually irreversable by means of a spray on chemical. The damage is usually into the paint, not above the paints surface.

You will need to either use a rotary polisher, depending on the severity of the defect left by the rain or if they are light stains maybe a D/A will take them out.

But believe me, dont get smoke and mirrored by products claiming to remove these spots with a simple spray and wipe product......It aint going to happen...

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
trauma2020
Private
Rep

thanks for the replies guys. went over the whole car with an AIO and got rid of most of the spots for now..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
blackpepper
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi coup

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P194/16-oz-S1/

Your welcome.

You can get those spots at any time so you can use this stuff to take them all off at ONCE. It takes some time to do a whole car though but it works great!
has anyone used this product ? how safe is this product to the clear-coat layer ?
Appreciate 0