E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6AT Trans Upgrade options

03-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #375
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
I have a cable , that has the mod done to it plus I used the Mprog to configure the cable to work perfectly with INPA. I have a late version of the INPA installed and working.

I also have all the other programs for BMW installed needed for this job. But I would prefer someone who have done it a couple of times before to nanny me thru it , dont want to mess things up.

All I need to get is upgraded AT , mine is a old 9/2006 ZF6HP21 or what ever it was named , not the 19 version. The mechatronic is whats need to be upgraded only .... Enrita gonna skin me alive now , I know its been said somewhere , but have me excused , I have a small toddler running around here , try set of time to read......
we all have the same trans. the 21=19TU. your problem is the mechantronic which includes the TCU. change that and it will work probably.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #376
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
we all have the same trans. the 21=19TU. your problem is the mechantronic which includes the TCU. change that and it will work probably.
Thats bloody great news I say , I get these transmissions dirt cheap when I am in Poland ...

So if I mess up the flashing of the TCU , I could just install the next one ... ?

Or put my old back in if it turns all bad.

But still for future mod , I want to do the DCT retro fit ....

Just need to find all the requirements for the job.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #377
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Thats bloody great news I say , I get these transmissions dirt cheap when I am in Poland ...

So if I mess up the flashing of the TCU , I could just install the next one ... ?

Or put my old back in if it turns all bad.

But still for future mod , I want to do the DCT retro fit ....

Just need to find all the requirements for the job.
you wont mess anything. if the flash fails you just retry till successfull but you need a post 03/07 mechatronic .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #378
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Damn I got keen on trying this out...
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #379
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Damn I got keen on trying this out...
Once you flash you will never go back to OEM flash software. It makes it so refined it that words are hard to describe...Have to drive it to really understand!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #380
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Once you flash you will never go back to OEM flash software. It makes it so refined it that words are hard to describe...Have to drive it to really understand!!!

Oh shut up , you are not helping here

I dont doubt its a huge change , want it real bad....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #381
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeah View Post
Here's the link to my S2->S1 issue.

The car's completely warm and have been driving over 30 minutes by then.

http://youtu.be/H9R2I4qGfhg

Sorry for the shakiness. You can hear it kind of faintly at 33 seconds in. Or the second to last second.
It makes a slight clunk sound and it feels like the car's motion locks up momentarily like a split second before it rolls to a stop.

I don't think the adaptation is going to fix this and I'm afraid it's actually somehow stressing the transmission in a bad way.

Maybe I should have it reflashed since I don't think I've heard anyone on the forum with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #382
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

There is no way of verifying the flashjob other than physical test?
I would think its common that application that performs the flash also verifies afterwards.

Is that not the case with software used for this flashjob?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #383
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
It makes a slight clunk sound and it feels like the car's motion locks up momentarily like a split second before it rolls to a stop.

I don't think the adaptation is going to fix this and I'm afraid it's actually somehow stressing the transmission in a bad way.

Maybe I should have it reflashed since I don't think I've heard anyone on the forum with this issue.
It's not an issue with the flash. It's possible you're hearing the valve body, or something that was already there that you didn't pay attention to and now that you're listening for stuff it's amplified. You can cycle the valves with INPA, try that and see if it makes the same sound you're hearing. I know I was actually surprised at how loud they were when the car wasn't running. If that doesn't do it for you, put the back end of the car on jack stands and see if you have something going on with your drive line. I've seen it before and it will happen again. You make a little change to the car and every little noise is amplified... Like the injector ticking. LOL Check it out and go drive your car like it was stolen.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #384
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
There is no way of verifying the flashjob other than physical test?
I would think its common that application that performs the flash also verifies afterwards.

Is that not the case with software used for this flashjob?
Yes you can enable to test checksum
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #385
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:

sigh, like i told you on the other forum, GIVE IT 600 MILES. been there, done that, your video confirms what I'm thinking.
      03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #386
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
sigh, like i told you on the other forum, GIVE IT 600 MILES. been there, done that, your video confirms what I'm thinking.
Alright. I just needed some confirmation. Nature of a test engineer. :P
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #387
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright. I just needed some confirmation. Nature of a test engineer. :P
Give it a little bit of time I guess but if you want to see for sure, since you flashed it yourself why not flash it back to stock OEM software and see if the problem still persists...I do find it weird though because I dont think adaptation is a factor here as the cars I have flashed have not shown any signs of this and I have not reset any adaptation values whatsoever....I go out with every car that I flashed to test it so I know...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #388
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Ya, no adaptation needed here. Only "odd" thing I noticed today was using D mode that it seemed to automatically downshift to 2nd quicker than before when coasting to a light causing a lot more engine braking. Not that it's a bad thing, the downshift was so smooth, I didn't feel it, just surprised when the rpms shot up like that.

Everything else has been great the more miles I put on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #389
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Ya, no adaptation needed here. Only "odd" thing I noticed today was using D mode that it seemed to automatically downshift to 2nd quicker than before when coasting to a light causing a lot more engine braking. Not that it's a bad thing, the downshift was so smooth, I didn't feel it, just surprised when the rpms shot up like that.

Everything else has been great the more miles I put on the car.
Nice! BTW thanks for taking care of that kid and finding a solution for him
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #390
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 CZP,07 e90 335 FBO

No adaptation issues for me as well.

Garage///2013 e92 M3 ZCP ///2007 e90 335 FBO///
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #391
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

Just had flash done today! Big thanks to Steve! (Cn555ic)! He was very helpful and knowledgeable and did a great job! On the two hour drive home I got quite a bit of driving done some city, some back road, some highway and I must say it is very refined I was speculative as to whether it would be worth it but there was no way to know unless I tried it! And I must recommend this to every AT driver it makes the car a whole new animal! And the rev match is amazing as well! Thanks again Steve!
      03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #392
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
It's not an issue with the flash. It's possible you're hearing the valve body, or something that was already there that you didn't pay attention to and now that you're listening for stuff it's amplified. You can cycle the valves with INPA, try that and see if it makes the same sound you're hearing. I know I was actually surprised at how loud they were when the car wasn't running. If that doesn't do it for you, put the back end of the car on jack stands and see if you have something going on with your drive line. I've seen it before and it will happen again. You make a little change to the car and every little noise is amplified... Like the injector ticking. LOL Check it out and go drive your car like it was stolen.
Wedge,

Were you able to make it by HPF? I know they told you to hold off for a few days. The New Mani is going back in this week and should be making power.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #393
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
Wedge,

Were you able to make it by HPF? I know they told you to hold off for a few days. The New Mani is going back in this week and should be making power.

Was over there yesterday and the turbo is out and it's all pulled apart. So until they get it all put back together I won't be able to flash it. But once they do I'll hook you up brother. It's going to be sick as hell. Everyone is saying the flash is holding power now and DTC is actually track worthy. Can't wait to see how your car is putting down the power with a twin scroll and COBB tune. Should be out of this F'n world. You probably need to get an HFS-4 to manage meth injection and a LPFP upgrade with inline booster.

Word is they are going through another revision of the manifold to move the humps away from the block to help with heat transfer. A heat shield can be fabricated to prevent the humps from heating up the valve cover then.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #394
Thyrus
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: F36 430xi Moonstone

Haha nice to see you guys getting some Alpina love this way. As an owner of an Alpina maybe I can contribute a bit now...

Re: some of you guys losing manual shifting mode with paddles. You need to post which steering wheels you have and which paddels. Remember the sport steering wheel had the option to down and upshift
using either of the pedals right? I recall that alpina changed the wiring to the modules (the ones sitting in the multi button steering wheel) too. Basically using the default ugly buttons Alpina uses they implemented "left down and right up modes" the same way it is implemented on the M3.They use the normal sports steering wheel as a base (the non-m one) and then rewired it to work like the m-models with left-down and right-up. u So if you have the proper M3 wheel with shifters it should work fine once programmed.

Or in other words: the reason why some lose shifting via paddles ould be down to which mpdule /steering wheel your car has. If you have the standard sports steering wheel with both pedals shifting up or down you should have issues due to the rewiring alpina did.

Just a thought.... Let me know if I can help somehow given I drive the real thing to compare..

Edit: OK looks like to solved it via coding :-) so I will shut up now.

Last edited by Thyrus; 03-06-2013 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #395
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Was over there yesterday and the turbo is out and it's all pulled apart. So until they get it all put back together I won't be able to flash it. But once they do I'll hook you up brother. It's going to be sick as hell. Everyone is saying the flash is holding power now and DTC is actually track worthy. Can't wait to see how your car is putting down the power with a twin scroll and COBB tune. Should be out of this F'n world. You probably need to get an HFS-4 to manage meth injection and a LPFP upgrade with inline booster.

Word is they are going through another revision of the manifold to move the humps away from the block to help with heat transfer. A heat shield can be fabricated to prevent the humps from heating up the valve cover then.
Yeah, as for now the mani was coated and will be wrapped. The changes will accrue after the kit is tuned and done. Its minor and they don’t want to hold it back any longer.

Did they say COBB decided to tune it? I haven’t herd that yet, you might know more.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #396
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
Yeah, as for now the mani was coated and will be wrapped. The changes will accrue after the kit is tuned and done. Its minor and they don’t want to hold it back any longer.

Did they say COBB decided to tune it? I haven’t herd that yet, you might know more.
I hope so, it will be a good step for all if COBB steps up to the plate and is able to provide a solution for ext waste gates and tuning for upgraded cars. I think a lot of people are just sitting back until this happens because they don't want to switch to Vishnu.

Even Terry made a comment like now that the transmission issue is resolved he might look at upgrading to a ST or Stage 3. Seems to be the only way to really make power now. Nothing against Rob, but RB turbo's are just a small stepping stone for our platform as we look for 600+ whp. Rob needs to step up his game because Tony is making waves. Regardless, I think ST TS or SS is the way to go. If HPF gets their $hit together and makes this work, without putting the price through the roof like they do with everything else, it will be a game changer.
Appreciate 0