E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Recommendation on Angel Eye LED and HID Bulbs

09-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
mspaint
Rep
Drives: E90 pre-LCI

Recommendation on Angel Eye LED and HID Bulbs

hi there
I am driving 2006 E90 pre LCI..
I would like to change my angel eye from stock halogen to Super white LED, as well as for HID ..

any recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

There's a pretty nifty sticky thread over in the cosmetic/exterior forum that shows pics of a bunch of them so you can pick which one you like the most.

What's your budget? You can spend anywhere from low 100's to 600's depending what you want to do. If money is no object, check out OSS.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

:::

Check out the Cosmetic and Lighting forum. There's LOTS of information on Angel Eyes and HID temps.

AndyR83 is right. For a good set, you're looking at that price range. On that forum you can also see people's posts to see how bright you want it and how even each set gets to both rings.

In order of price ($-$$$): HPB, MTEC, LUX, OSS, are the 4 big names I'd say.
      09-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
There's a pretty nifty sticky thread over in the cosmetic/exterior forum that shows pics of a bunch of them so you can pick which one you like the most.

What's your budget? You can spend anywhere from low 100's to 600's depending what you want to do. If money is no object, check out OSS.
I spent $45 on mine. lol.
///cheap
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
I spent $45 on mine. lol.
///cheap
Same I grabbed the HPB ones for about $50 and I'm perfectly happy. I know it will come down to budget and personal preference for most people.
      09-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
Same I grabbed the HPB ones for about $50 and I'm perfectly happy. I know it will come down to budget and personal preference for most people.
Yeah I'm in high school so my mods so far have been as cheap as possible. I wouldn't say I'm perfectly happy. You can't see my angel eyes in direct sunlight at all. I'm itching to get Umnitza's though or oneeighty's...Two expsenive AE's almost identical to the newer 3 series' angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChase View Post
Yeah I'm in high school so my mods so far have been as cheap as possible. I wouldn't say I'm perfectly happy. You can't see my angel eyes in direct sunlight at all. I'm itching to get Umnitza's though or oneeighty's...Two expsenive AE's almost identical to the newer 3 series' angel eyes.
If you want to see them in direct sunlight, I would look at MTEC's. My buddy bought them for his 135 and I can always see them if I'm in front of him. They really do look great. If you're in high school I think this will be the best for price.
      09-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

I have MTEC. V3. Very bright. Very happy.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Thrash
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

For the money IMO HID's are the way to go, I spent $179 over at Alpine. During the daylight hours the regular replacement bulbs are difficult to see, and lets face it we do most of our driving then. Some members complain of the "blob" look with HID's, I noticed a bit of this, I put on a 3M light smoke tint and the lights are now perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
ragenitro6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i pre LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
I have MTEC. V3. Very bright. Very happy.

what lights are those on your pre LCI? Did you have the stock halogens before getting those? may I ask what you spent for them?
ALL the threads about lights, preLCI, halogens, xenons, angel eyes...man, it's very tiring reading about all the options, things to do, kits to buy, expensive, etc.....makes my head spin
I have '07 328i with the crappy stock halogens that I hate...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenitro6 View Post
what lights are those on your pre LCI? Did you have the stock halogens before getting those? may I ask what you spent for them?
ALL the threads about lights, preLCI, halogens, xenons, angel eyes...man, it's very tiring reading about all the options, things to do, kits to buy, expensive, etc.....makes my head spin
I have '07 328i with the crappy stock halogens that I hate...
His are OEM Pre-LCI Xenons. If you have halogen headlights, your best option is to invest into LCI Xenons and upgrade the angel eye bulb in that using LUX H8 V3.

You could upgrade to Pre-LCI Xenons, but you will have the amber reflector in the headlight still, so for the same price you might as well get the LCI Xenons (Which have brighter AE's as well). If you go with the Pre-LCI Xenons, I reccomend the MTEC V3 just as Pete runs. If you go with an OEM Xenon route, coding and rewiring are required to make everything work properly. With the aftermarket options off Ebay/DEPO/etc, I would avoid those as you will end up with moisture problems/flickering/bad HID output.

Your last option would be to pick up a set of LCI Halogens. This will probably be cheapest as they go used on here quite often, it's a plug and play install, OEM quality, and you get angel eyes with no amber reflector (Get LUX LCI Halogen AE's if you go this route). Only con is you are still stuck with halogen headlights. As far as HID fog kits go, be sure to get a 35W kit as 55W kits melt the housings. I would reccomend a 5000k or 6000k color temp for the fogs. You could also go with 4300k to match OEM Xenons if you go that route. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
His are OEM Pre-LCI Xenons. If you have halogen headlights, your best option is to invest into LCI Xenons and upgrade the angel eye bulb in that using LUX H8 V3.

You could upgrade to Pre-LCI Xenons, but you will have the amber reflector in the headlight still, so for the same price you might as well get the LCI Xenons (Which have brighter AE's as well). If you go with the Pre-LCI Xenons, I reccomend the MTEC V3 just as Pete runs. If you go with an OEM Xenon route, coding and rewiring are required to make everything work properly. With the aftermarket options off Ebay/DEPO/etc, I would avoid those as you will end up with moisture problems/flickering/bad HID output.

Your last option would be to pick up a set of LCI Halogens. This will probably be cheapest as they go used on here quite often, it's a plug and play install, OEM quality, and you get angel eyes with no amber reflector (Get LUX LCI Halogen AE's if you go this route). Only con is you are still stuck with halogen headlights. As far as HID fog kits go, be sure to get a 35W kit as 55W kits melt the housings. I would reccomend a 5000k or 6000k color temp for the fogs. You could also go with 4300k to match OEM Xenons if you go that route. Hope this helps.
Yup. Pre LCI OEM Xenon's with aftermarket LED Angel eye bulbs. And if you are going to invest in a set of after market Xenon's, go LCI. I HATE my amber reflectors but am not willing to spend the money on new ones or tackle the project of clearing them. I also agree about the Halogen's. I hate the fact that BMW even offers them any more. Friggin civics and accords have Xenon's now!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
mspaint
Rep
Drives: E90 pre-LCI

Thanks all for the comments. I think I will go for mtec v3 led and also mtec d1s 6000k hid.
Lux seems gd too but at additional cost
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspaint View Post
Thanks all for the comments. I think I will go for mtec v3 led and also mtec d1s 6000k hid.
Lux seems gd too but at additional cost
Do you have HIDs already? Or are you looking to do a halogen to HID conversion? If you already have xenons, then the best bulbs you're gonna get with no problems is Philips. I grabbed some $80 ones and I'm happy but if you want to be sure, Philips is the best way to go. If you're going for a conversion look at the above comments.