E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > BT line

02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

BT line

Do you have to have BT to install your telephone line?

Just moved house, needs a new line installing apparently as the last owners of 10years never had a phone or broadband - bet their life was exciting.

BUT, BT have failed to show twice now to install, reset, implement the new connection (or whatever it is they need to do)

Any ideas/guidance?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Yes you need BT to activate the line.
I believe it's around £130 or if you go with BT for home phone/broadband then the fee is waived.

Had loads of problems with BT when trying to set my line up in a new build property and their customer service is shocking. As soon as my contract with them is up I will be off!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
Do you have to have BT to install your telephone line?

Just moved house, needs a new line installing apparently as the last owners of 10years never had a phone or broadband - bet their life was exciting.

BUT, BT have failed to show twice now to install, reset, implement the new connection (or whatever it is they need to do)

Any ideas/guidance?
The line will be installed by Openreach regardless of who you buy the line off unless you are in an area covered by Virgin Media
      02-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

so after 2 no shows, yesterday the wife was about to walk out the door to work only to see a bloke hanging round outside, she asked him if she could help (she said he looked quite shifty) to which he replied he was from BT and waiting for a colleague with a cherry picker (she didnt know what this was)
whilst she was around, he quickly drilled a hole into the porch from outside, fed in some cable, tacked it round, put the box in the place we wanted and made it neat, asked her to plug the phone in, then said she could get off to work, she said he held her up all of 10mins.
I get home last night to find out that they have run a new line from the house to the connection on the street (neatly), and theres a message on the house phone from said bloke to say that all is done and sorry for the delay.

makes you wonder how they manage to make it so damn hard work, when it can be this easy.

thats the difference between BT and contractors I guess!
Appreciate 0