E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Warranty VOIDED. Now What.

03-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #67
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Long View Post
It's people like you that give this forum a bad name. Your post is totally filled with animosity and is completely useless. The guy had his warranty voided and you come in here acting like his mother.
I'm sorry, let me try again.

so sorry your warranty got yanked. It's not like you completely set yourself up for this - you opened the door, they just stepped through it.

Useless? how about realistic. BMW is hurting, looking to cut costs. Every employee at BMW feels the pressure, and realizes that every cent payed to cover a repair under warranty hurts the company. This guy trusts a bmw or dealership employee? Please - GROW UP.

Now what? Bring a copy of the Magnuson act? So what if the SA tells you to sit and spin? Get a lawyer ? How many of you have actually gotten a lawyer and sued a corp like BMW??

Useless? What's useless is the crap spewed here by the uniformed and inexperienced. I've been through a PUMA case with BMW NA, I know how hard core it gets. I'm not knocking the OP. I'm knocking the idiots who post here about how it wont be a problem going in for warranty work with a broken t-map connector, or downpipes installed. I'm knocking the person that says "no way they can prove it was caused by the mod!", or "show them the Magnuson act". Again, what are you going to do when they tell you "so what", are you prepared for that?

Bottom line - assume they are out to get you, assume they are not above lying, assume you are at their mercy - and act accordingly.

Or be prepared to possibly deal with the consequences if your car rolls into the shop all modded out like the OP's - no matter what the SA or anyone here tells you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #68
krnshinsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

OP did you have your jb3 on while you took it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #69
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post

so sorry your warranty got yanked. It's not like you completely set yourself up for this - you opened the door, they just stepped through it.

Useless? how about realistic. BMW is hurting, looking to cut costs. Every employee at BMW feels the pressure, and realizes that every cent payed to cover a repair under warranty hurts the company. This guy trusts a bmw or dealership employee? Please - GROW UP.

Now what? Bring a copy of the Magnuson act? So what if the SA tells you to sit and spin? Get a lawyer ? How many of you have actually gotten a lawyer and sued a corp like BMW??

Useless? What's useless is the crap spewed here by the uniformed and inexperienced. I've been through a PUMA case with BMW NA, I know how hard core it gets. I'm not knocking the OP. I'm knocking the idiots who post here about how it wont be a problem going in for warranty work with a broken t-map connector, or downpipes installed. I'm knocking the person that says "no way they can prove it was caused by the mod!", or "show them the Magnuson act". Again, what are you going to do when they tell you "so what", are you prepared for that?

Bottom line - assume they are out to get you, assume they are not above lying, assume you are at their mercy - and act accordingly.

Or be prepared to possibly deal with the consequences if your car rolls into the shop all modded out like the OP's - no matter what the SA or anyone here tells you.
Well said, I don't trust anyone at my dealership and I remove everything but my CAI.

Of course, I don't have any mods I'm just saying that to be accepted by my fellow peers

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #70
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnshinsa View Post
OP did you have your jb3 on while you took it to the dealer?
Yes it was towed, but like I said, the Assistant Service Manager told me not to worry about the tunes and mods, that they'd just hook it up and see what was going on.

I called the Sales guy first, and he then called me back with the ASM on the phone. Basically the Sales guy was running interference for me, because he owes me his job. But it's the ASM that told me to come on in. So, I told the flatbed truck driver to take us on over to the dealership.

When I got there, they set me up with a loaner, and the ASM said he would call me.

Point is, I've learned everything I know from this forum, and I didn't just blindly take it to the dealer with all my tunes. First, they'd already seen it all when it was there for repairs from the wreck, and second, the ASM told me to bring it in. So, why wouldn't I?
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #71
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

To the OP: I'm sorry this happened to you. This is useless to you now, but this is the reason that when anything happens...rather than tow the car to the dealer..I'd rather tow it back home and sit and think of a proper course of action. Even if it means putting everything back to stock, the cost of doing that is cheaper than the result of having your warranty voided.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #72
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

That sucks, but its the risk you take.
      03-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #73
curamie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i SG

I wish my jb+ wouldn't cause HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #74
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by curamie View Post
You can be completely stock (as I was) and still get a defective HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #75
Bimmeration
BEEMDUBLEW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' Tesla Model S 85kw

Quote:
Originally Posted by curamie View Post
no, it won't. but your hpfp will fail on its own.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #76
curamie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmeration View Post
no, it won't. but your hpfp will fail on its own.
I had HPFP issue around 7k miles on it. But everytime I re-started the car, it was gone automatically. I brought it to dealer couple times, they said no problem at all. I remember at that time, car had hard time to start up.

Now I am on 12k miles on it with jb+, until now I have no issue with HPFP anymore...and the car starts in less than second now.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #77
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mote View Post
You can be completely stock (as I was) and still get a defective HPFP.
+1. It's Russian Roulette with this thing.

I've said this when the problem was first detected, but mass action will not be taken unless there is an example..in this case sadly, a serious accident and/or a death. Not that farfetch when the car just randomly stops working on the highway.

With BMW's plan on releasing more twin turbo models, this will surely get more interesting as time passes.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #78
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post

I agree- you gave them a ton of reasons to void your warranty. They did. Next time have something in writing - none of the things said over the phone or in person can help you in court.

For those of you who want him to hire a lawyer- They'll be glad to take his case and his money.

Think of this as lesson learned and don't take shortcuts.

I'm sorry to be so direct, but we all make mistakes and we need to accept them and learn from them.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #79
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

looks like you have a lot of tunes that are tightly integrated with your car. removing all the tunes to bring back to the dealer would be quite some work and I understand why you left them on there and delivered your car to the dealer. I'm sure if you were able to remove most of the tunes you'd probably be able to fly by the radar...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #80
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

About getting a lawyer, there's no way you're going to win against BMW. Well never say never, but the lawyer fee will definitely cost more than your 335i at the very least. I'm sure BMW has a team of hungry lawyers that are going to eat up the case waiting.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #81
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

ya my stock car has and i think still has hpfp problems...

anyways man that fucking salesmen should have gone out of his way to save your warranty after what he did even if the ASM was involved....whats asshole...these people are all connected
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #82
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

This is why I still have AAA in spite of the BMW Assist. I will tow the car to my house first and then remove the mods. Along with the BT tool now, there's just no excuse not to have it if your car is modified.

I would agree that the HPFP issues is endemic to stock cars BMW put out, so if you are truly hankering to get it fixed, you could hire a lawyer to fight it out. Tune or no Tune, BMW has no position to refute the known defects of the HPFP. That doesn't mean they'll void your engine/turbo warranty due to tune detection but they can only do that when you present warranty work for them to deny.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #83
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that you had over 50 initial codes or 10 codes still visible after clearing them that were caused by modifications.
Because he left the tune in.
If he took the tune out and then cleared the codes with a BT tool, he would have no problems at all.
It's just pure stupidity on the OP's part. There have been plenty of cars that have gone in with the piggyback removed and have had high priced warranty work performed.

Tip to the OP. Keep a Ratchet and tool set in your trunk.
8mm and 10mm wrench or ratchet, alont with a eyeglass screwdriver. that way if your call takes a shit on the road, you can remove your tune before the tow truck gets there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #84
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

another thing is that the SA can be your father for Christ sake, if FASTA is hooked up and the codes are sent to BMW (there is no way around this, unless you uninstall the mods and delete the codes prior to taking the car in) Then BMW has the final say, no matter what your SA or salesman, or general manager tells you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #85
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
imo to be safe i would have towed it home first, taken out the mods then towed it to BMW...

sucks to hear though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #86
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
get in touch with a lawyer....

the mere threat of legal action may make them reconsider....this IS bullshit....the MF'in Sales associate shouldn't have told you to keep the mods in......

Contact a Lawyer.
Lawyers cost money. Although these fuel pumps are known to fail on stock cars. Good luck OP.
      03-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #87
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_335xi View Post
Because he left the tune in.
If he took the tune out and then cleared the codes with a BT tool, he would have no problems at all.
It's just pure stupidity on the OP's part. There have been plenty of cars that have gone in with the piggyback removed and have had high priced warranty work performed.

Tip to the OP. Keep a Ratchet and tool set in your trunk.
8mm and 10mm wrench or ratchet, alont with a eyeglass screwdriver. that way if your call takes a shit on the road, you can remove your tune before the tow truck gets there.
Even if he left it in, it would not show any codes. This is from my own experience with BT. His catless DPs without the O2 simulators are the reason why they saw some of the codes. The reality is until they disclose to him and he shows us what codes they found, then we really don't know what exact modifications caused all the codes. The numbers 50 and 10 codes could just be exaggerations anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #88
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Perhaps I've been overly cynical. There is also very good info on this forum. Examples in this very thread:

- spend the $$ and have the car towed to your house
- carry an 8mm wrench with you at all times
- get it in writing
- never go in for warranty work with engine mods
Appreciate 0