E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > SAN FRANCISCO/LA trip advice

02-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep
Drives: your mom wild!

SAN FRANCISCO/LA trip advice

Hey folks

Planning a trip with some friends to San Francisco then a Road trip to LA then end it in Las Vegas.

Wondering what and where is the place to stay in San Francisco and LA to access the local places with ease?
Hotel/Home rentals/etc.

not looking to spend crazy amount for a hotel, barely gonna be in the rooms anyway.

places to hitup, things to see etc. (night spots mostly)

planning to rent a SUV for the trip...so traveling wont be a problem.

any suggestions, recommendations, or ideas is I be more than appreciated!

Cheers!

-Bobby L.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

Damn...no love here?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I haven't been in the night scene for a while now so I'm sure others will chime and let you know where the hotspots are in sf nowadays. As far as where to stay, a good central place would be somewhere in the Union Square area. A pretty nice place that didn't cost a fortune to stay at was the Union Square Hilton. I think when I stayed there it was about $150-170 per night and it was close enough to be able to walk to the san francisco center shopping mall and union square shopping area. From there you can take a short cab ride or cable car to Pier 39 which is another touristy area.

As far as places to eat there's a ton of places to go in SF. It all depends on what type of food you are looking for. If you throw out a particular cuisine I'm sure others will throw out suggestions.

Depending on how long you will be in the SF area, a few places to see if you've never been here before is Downtown/Union Square area, Pier 39, Alcatraz island, Golden Gate Bridge and park, China Town area.

I don't go to socal too much and when I do I stay at a friend's place so can't really offer suggestions as to what hotels to go to. Hopefully some socal guys will chime in but the Hollywood area is a good tourist spot and at night there's a lot going on on Hollywood blvd...at least it was when I went clubbing down there a couple times.

There's been a few threads from people in the same situation as yours so try doing a search as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

SoCal, stay at the W on Hollywood and Vine. You can pretty much walk to all the bars/clubs/restaurants around. Pasadena and DTLA are also good choices.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Are you looking at the clubbing night life or the bar night life. Dive? Lounge? There's a lot to do out here, you need to be a bit more specific.

At night there's really on clubbing and drinking, all the tourist stuff needs to be done during the day.

You're also gonna have one hellavua time finding parking for your SUV if you plan on using it for transport in SF. I used to drive a jeep cherokee and it was pretty rough.

Nick's suggestion for hotel is pretty good too though.
      02-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Priceline.com - bid for a room.
Use this forum to see what region/prices people use:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...-San-Francisco

I have booked a few times at the Hilton Financial District which is pretty close to China Town. A short walk away from everything else and a pretty decent rate. Only thing is parking is expensive, but that's what happens in the city. $45 a day or something. I think there are cheaper, close lots. Parking is generally $35-45 a night at all the Hotels in the area and by Union Square.

I think it's the Embarcadero District, 4 star.
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...ornia/index.do

Think I got rooms for like $85/night when the rooms would cost $250-275/night. I have stayed there twice.

View from room:

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
SIEAIN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

tons of things to do at night in LA/Hollywood...depends on where you want to go...clubs/lounges/bars? and also what kind of scene you are into...Asian? Mix Crowd?

let me know if you are into all Asian scene haha
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
well, Make sure you hit me up Bobby! I'm in SF now, and know a TON of HUNNIES!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
SIEAIN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
can I hit u up too if I am going to SF?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@DetailAddict View Post
I haven't been in the night scene for a while now so I'm sure others will chime and let you know where the hotspots are in sf nowadays. As far as where to stay, a good central place would be somewhere in the Union Square area. A pretty nice place that didn't cost a fortune to stay at was the Union Square Hilton. I think when I stayed there it was about $150-170 per night and it was close enough to be able to walk to the san francisco center shopping mall and union square shopping area. From there you can take a short cab ride or cable car to Pier 39 which is another touristy area.

As far as places to eat there's a ton of places to go in SF. It all depends on what type of food you are looking for. If you throw out a particular cuisine I'm sure others will throw out suggestions.

Depending on how long you will be in the SF area, a few places to see if you've never been here before is Downtown/Union Square area, Pier 39, Alcatraz island, Golden Gate Bridge and park, China Town area.

I don't go to socal too much and when I do I stay at a friend's place so can't really offer suggestions as to what hotels to go to. Hopefully some socal guys will chime in but the Hollywood area is a good tourist spot and at night there's a lot going on on Hollywood blvd...at least it was when I went clubbing down there a couple times.

There's been a few threads from people in the same situation as yours so try doing a search as well.

Sweet thanks! ill look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
SoCal, stay at the W on Hollywood and Vine. You can pretty much walk to all the bars/clubs/restaurants around. Pasadena and DTLA are also good choices.
ill look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
Are you looking at the clubbing night life or the bar night life. Dive? Lounge? There's a lot to do out here, you need to be a bit more specific.

At night there's really on clubbing and drinking, all the tourist stuff needs to be done during the day.

You're also gonna have one hellavua time finding parking for your SUV if you plan on using it for transport in SF. I used to drive a jeep cherokee and it was pretty rough.

Nick's suggestion for hotel is pretty good too though.

thanks for the tip.
Clubbing, Lounges, etc. night scene...even a strip joint be fine...lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIEAIN View Post
tons of things to do at night in LA/Hollywood...depends on where you want to go...clubs/lounges/bars? and also what kind of scene you are into...Asian? Mix Crowd?

let me know if you are into all Asian scene haha

Any scene is fine with me bro....but def. asian scenes are a plus if u know any good ones...lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
Def. for sure ill hit u up!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

double post
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Priceline.com - bid for a room.
Use this forum to see what region/prices people use:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...-San-Francisco

I have booked a few times at the Hilton Financial District which is pretty close to China Town. A short walk away from everything else and a pretty decent rate. Only thing is parking is expensive, but that's what happens in the city. $45 a day or something. I think there are cheaper, close lots. Parking is generally $35-45 a night at all the Hotels in the area and by Union Square.

I think it's the Embarcadero District, 4 star.
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...ornia/index.do

Think I got rooms for like $85/night when the rooms would cost $250-275/night. I have stayed there twice.

View from room:

I just checked it out....

Rooms are like $280 and up!!! lolz
dont know where u got $85/room...wanna share? lolz
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
not sure what days you plan on being in sf but try looking up the rates for the union square hilton on o'farrell. I think it's about a hundred bucks cheaper per night
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@DetailAddict View Post
not sure what days you plan on being in sf but try looking up the rates for the union square hilton on o'farrell. I think it's about a hundred bucks cheaper per night
thanks!

and SAIEN...i got ur PM..thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
Maui Boy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i JB Coupe

Try the JW Marriott on Post and Mason - across the street from Ruby Skye. I just booked a room for two nights in March for $189/night.
Or try the Kabuki Hotel in JapanTown - not as expensive and reasonable parking.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
LTBMW!
      02-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Boy View Post
Try the JW Marriott on Post and Mason - across the street from Ruby Skye. I just booked a room for two nights in March for $189/night.
Or try the Kabuki Hotel in JapanTown - not as expensive and reasonable parking.
thanks...I heard about the hotels in Japan town....ill look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
LTBMW!

car scene is gonna stay on the east coast...im there for bitches, money, and narcotics!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
dsantos08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Donatello hotel on post and mason. Really nice hotel and decent prices. Right by everything. Clubs and union square are about a block away and its in a safe area. Bart (subway) is 3-4 blocks away so you can take it to anywhere in the bay area.
Appreciate 0