E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Waste Gate and HPFP Lawsuit

12-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #67
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
I have smoke coming out of my left tail pipe, from turbo failure. I wonder if this will be covered. I am going to call my dealership today and see what they say. I have 67k miles on my car its a 08.
let me know what they say I have to call too I am at 71k on an 07
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #68
kelvin2010
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E82 1M

Sorry guys, English is not my first language..
I don't quite understand what the letter is about in detail ...
Can anyone make the story short? Thank you very much!

I have a 2008 CPO 335i, when I purchased my car it already has done the HPFP recall...So am I effected in this case?
And my friend just blew a turbo on his car, and he got the turbo replaced under CPO warranty today....But he even doesn't have to pay for $50....I don't know why...is it because of this lawsuit??

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #69
Eko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

I have a 08 335xi.. dont see on my letter anything about the 335xi. does it qualify as a 335i? :P it does have a n54

i know to us it would make sense that it would qualify as a 335i. but law can be a bitch/very petty with language.
      12-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #70
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr06evo View Post
anyone out of warranty have success getting their turbos replaced??
This is a PROPOSED settlement. They havent even approved it yet so you wont be able to get service or anything replaced u nder it. The delaerships may not even be aware.
      12-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #71
mr06evo
Private
Rep
Drives: none

^got it thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #72
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok Folks I Contacted BMW NA in regards to the case for the turbo chargers specifically.
  1. Turbochargers were not originally included in the emissions warranty and if the case gets approved will be.
  2. If approved, the turbochargers will be warranty for 8 years from the in services date or 82k miles which ever comes first.
  3. The 1 Year / 12k miles will be an add on to the emissions warranty for the specific component wastegates / turbochargers.

In my case my wastegates were already determined to be the cause of my Turbo boost Low problem, which I never fixed since they wanted 6k, the women Paige from BMW NA said so long as I keep the mileage below the 82k miles I will be good to go if the case is approved.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #73
jokergerm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Ok Folks I Contacted BMW NA in regards to the case for the turbo chargers specifically.
  1. Turbochargers were not originally included in the emissions warranty and if the case gets approved will be.
  2. If approved, the turbochargers will be warranty for 8 years from the in services date or 82k miles which ever comes first.
  3. The 1 Year / 12k miles will be an add on to the emissions warranty for the specific component wastegates / turbochargers.

In my case my wastegates were already determined to be the cause of my Turbo boost Low problem, which I never fixed since they wanted 6k, the women Paige from BMW NA said so long as I keep the mileage below the 82k miles I will be good to go if the case is approved.
^^
this is only for califorina right? its a 1 year extension and in cali its 70k +12k=82

Everyone else is fucked at 62k right?
      12-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #74
Quisp
United_States
Rep

thats a bit messed up if it is true. Shouldbe the same acorss the board and what if the car was bought from someone in california but no longer driven there?
      12-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #75
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokergerm View Post
^^
this is only for califorina right? its a 1 year extension and in cali its 70k +12k=82

Maybe not. There are several other states that follow the Ca emissions warranty. Check your book to see if your state is included.

However, in the fine print of the settlement agreement, the turbos are covered due to defect in wastegate. Is this a possible loop hole for BMW to say turbo failure was caused by something else and then make us pay?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #76
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokergerm View Post
^^

I am located in NY, and BMW NA is telling me 82k miles, They did ask for my vin to verify. I should have asked if it was across the board. Now they did reference the site. My suggestion is the call BMW NA, I still plan on sending an e-mail so I have something in writing to pledge my case in march.

http://www.gilardi.com/hpfpsettlement/FAQ.html#12

Quote:
If I want to speak to BMW of North America regarding my car, the recall, or my HPFP extended warranty, who do I contact?
You should contact BMW Customer Relations at 1(800) 525-7417 or through e-mail customerrelations@bmwusa.com.

Please do not contact the Court or BMW NA about the settlement. As a putative member of the Settlement Class, you are represented by Settlement Class Counsel, and BMW NA cannot provide you with legal advice pertaining to your rights under the settlement.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #77
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkkvv5 View Post
Maybe not. There are several other states that follow the Ca emissions warranty. Check your book to see if your state is included.

However, in the fine print of the settlement agreement, the turbos are covered due to defect in wastegate. Is this a possible loop hole for BMW to say turbo failure was caused by something else and then make us pay?
Wastegate rattle would be a defect in the wastegate warranting turbo replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #78
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:

I have 32K miles now. but time limit out of warranty. I got turbos replaced due to same low boost issue right before my 4yr mark. BMW sure did monumentally screw up with these Turbo engines. Reliability is complete shit if you ask me. just make shit that doesn't break and keep your money IMO. If its the money I wanted, I wouldn't have bought the car to begin with. So much for ultimate driving machine. Just make it reliable.
      12-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #79
az335idesi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I just contacted a local Bmw dealership, and they had no idea about the proposal..idk if they were BS-ing me..or if they really dont know..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #80
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az335idesi View Post
I just contacted a local Bmw dealership, and they had no idea about the proposal..idk if they were BS-ing me..or if they really dont know..
Contact BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #81
Leebro61
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

For those of you that had the turbos replaced due to "low boost", how did you know that you weren't reaching the target boost pressures... did the ecu throw a code? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #82
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebro61 View Post
For those of you that had the turbos replaced due to "low boost", how did you know that you weren't reaching the target boost pressures... did the ecu throw a code? Thanks
yes code 30ff but they didn't replace turbos I am out of warranty first fix was turbo boost lines which cost me 700 and still didn't resolve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #83
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wastegate rattle would be a defect in the wastegate warranting turbo replacement.
Not always...sometimes you just get new gates or mechanism and not turbos.

And for low boost pressure i did not get a code. I hit the gas and it didnt accelerate like it should...no kick.
      01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #84
Deadwrong
Private
Rep

subbing this thread as I am receiving the same low boost codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #85
Exclusive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i Montego/Saddle

any updates on this?> I am now getting 30ff code for low boost and the wastegates have the rattle. Called BMW USA today and they told me they have no idea wtf i'm talking about, but my parts guy at the dealership knew about it... Anything set in stone yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #86
pdips
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

wait so basically what? im lost...new turbos and wastegate rattle fix even if im out of warranty??
      02-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #87
Exclusive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i Montego/Saddle

Thats the preliminary word... 8 year/82k mile warranty on the associated wastegate parts... But it wont kick in until the final courtroom decision is made. Earliest possible date of that is Mid-April of 2012. So basically, if you have an issue now, you either park the car and wait for the decision (and hope that they decide to cover it), keep driving it with the issues and casue damage to the car, or get it fixed on your dime.

Update on my situation. I had wastegate hoses that were starting to weaken, crack, and pinch (thank god) that was causing my issue. I had all the lines replaced and the car is like new again! Just a public service announcement to all of those that are having wastegate issues, noises, and loss of boost with CEL - check the easiest stuff first! Worn, cracked, or pinched wastegate hoses will mimic some symptoms of a bad wastegate, or one thats going bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #88
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
How many miles on your car when you brought it in to have the wastegates replaced.
59K miles for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
This is BS. What about cars that was produced in late 06? With the extended warranty, we still will be out of warranty
Mine was built in NOV 06 and turbos were replaced due to wastegate rattle.

Quote:
i have 59k right now. hopefully they extend the warranty on the turbos past 60k miles. I just bought my car and have pretty bad rattle at 2500rpm.
Dealer or private sale? I would take it to the dealership and discuss with your SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belal242 View Post
I just talked to my SA and she says they wont replace anything in terms of my Turbos because they arnt seeing any codes. She also stated that if they do replace my turbos the have been using USED turbos to replace my existing turbos.
Quote:
anyone out of warranty have success getting their turbos replaced??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic93 View Post
wait so basically what? im lost...new turbos and wastegate rattle fix even if im out of warranty??
In the midst of this proposed settlement, I brought my 07 335i prior to the end of the warranty (45K miles) and got on record about rattle under my dash that sounded like chipmunks. They could not reproduce it, then.

By the time I brought my ride in for its regularly scheduled maintenance, I was totally out of regular warranty but took it in, anyway, with the intent of getting the HPFP replaced. I also talked to my new SA about checking the chipmunks under the dash, while the car was in for maintenance, so he kept the car overnight to check.

Bottom line, I got new turbos, a software upgrade, and HPFP replacement even though I hadn't had any trouble for the past 56K miles when I had my first HPFP replacement at 2.5K miles.

I also had to pay for my scheduled maintenance since the vehicle was out of warranty, but I like to pay as I go instead of buying some extended warranty...but, that's just me...

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0