E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got a ticket, but the record shows a wrong plate number..

09-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #23
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
this is a false assumption.
maybe it's just northeast cops then because that's what happened to all my friends who have gotten speeding tickets.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

What did you get the ticket for?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #25
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
What did you get the ticket for?
he parked in a handicapped spot.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #26
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
he parked in a handicapped spot
Then he should pay up and stop being an asshole...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #27
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
don't pay it. what's the worst that could happen?
Great advice: He will lose his License.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #28
Username18
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

At my university you can appeal to the dept. of transportation. They give you one freebee per car, I dont know if that applies to a handicapped spot, but I know it applies to all other fines. Also if you appeal you may want to mention that you thought the parking was only in affect until 5pm. Most universites ive been to the parking zones are reserved for special permits till 5pm(but its also labeled like this). Anyway these suggestions are all longshots because you obviously should never park in a handicapped spot and that is common knowledge, but you dont have much to lose. Just go to the university website and see if they have a transportation link. You should find info and maybe even appeal it online(depending on how modern the institution is).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #29
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sapphire Black

DRFLUID. pay the damn ticket. I cant believe you are trying to weasel out of this. You should not be worried about the small amount of money you are paying. Think about the poor disabled or sick person which these spots are dedicated to. Stop being selfish and think of others. My brother died last year of cancer and in his final months he was less mobile which meant that everytime a bloody selfish person like you parked in the blue zone or disabled parking we had to drop him off with my sister and then find a park. You guys are truely selfish. Not one of you have looked at this from the perspective of the person that really needed that park. Even if it is for 30 seconds. For the record i never park in a disabled or no parking zone. One last thing you drive a BMW as if the ticket is something you cant handle....or is it?????

PS. I hope you guys dont ever have to go through what my brother and whole family went through because if you do this sort of behavior would never be acceptable.

Apart from that dont be too hard on yourself DRFLUID just take this and learn from it, im sure with this insight you may look at things in a new light. Keep smiling its only a ticket and im guessing you are an able bodied person otherwise no ticket.
      09-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #30
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Thanks for all the opinions. I'll pay up the ticket..
I've learned a lesson; never park at a handicapped spot.

It's the most expensive 10 minutes parking ever.
      09-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #31
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username18
At my university you can appeal to the dept. of transportation. They give you one freebee per car, I dont know if that applies to a handicapped spot, but I know it applies to all other fines. Also if you appeal you may want to mention that you thought the parking was only in affect until 5pm. Most universites ive been to the parking zones are reserved for special permits till 5pm(but its also labeled like this). Anyway these suggestions are all longshots because you obviously should never park in a handicapped spot and that is common knowledge, but you dont have much to lose. Just go to the university website and see if they have a transportation link. You should find info and maybe even appeal it online(depending on how modern the institution is).
They did that at my University too. My University cop dept let me off with a warning.

But don't call or e-mail. If I were you, I'd go in person and try to talk to their director or someone with the power to let you off with a warning. Tell them you were gone for 5 minutes and had the car in sight all the time. Besides point out the fact that they've got the wrong license plate to somewhat put them on the defensive during your argument.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #32
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
don't pay it. what's the worst that could happen?
Jail. That's what. I imagine a judge would overlook the typo of the license number considering there are so many other facts correct: VIN, make & model, oh, and I'll be they have your driver's license number - right? If you don't pay the ticket there will be a warrant for your arrest.

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, but don't do that to yourself. These are all great people on this forum, but this isn't the place to come for legal advice.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #34
Ioman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 C4S

Show up to court and tell the judge that you have a similiar car but that the license plate number is not yours. There is a high chance it will be thrown out on a technicality unless they got your driver license number, and most likely they didn't.
      09-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #35
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed. One of my biggest pet peeves (that reminds me, I have to take my pet peeve for a walk) is perfectly healthy people parking in handicap spaces. The fine should be twice that high. The only one higher should be for littering.

Or, just gain a couple hundred pounds. Seems that being fat and lazy is now considered a legal handicap. Judging from the lard asses I see waddling from their special spaces.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #36
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
I got a ticket on the other day, but couple days later when I checked up the status of the ticket and the exact price, I found out that my plate number was WRONG.

On the paper ticket I've got shows all the information including last 4 digits of VIN, registeration expiration mo/yr, car make, color.. etc...

Only the plate number on their database shows a wrong plate number

SHOULD I STILL PAY THE TICKET??

It's the most expensive ticket I ever get, over $300.

Yeah go to court, the cop usually won't bother to attend court. My friend was speeding going 90 in a 30 mph zone. He was in his silver E-320 Mercedes Benz. The cop wrote on the speeding ticket that it was a silver mercury. He went to court and the cop never showed up and the ticket was dropped, especially for the car make mistake.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #37
Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sapphire Black

Good one DRFluid... thats the best option mate. Be honest and take responsibility for you actions... you are proof that there are more good people in this world than bad... dont listen to all these people giving you weasel options... Its about time everybody took ownership of their actions.
      09-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #38
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

i still say try and find someone that have a handi-cap parking pass. call your relitives, grandparents, mom dad whoever u think knows someone with a pass. its a guarentee get off.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #39
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
Its about time everybody took ownership of their actions.
Could not agree with you more. To bad most people don't.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #40
bingstarr
Private
Rep
Drives: alpine 2006 325

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
if they have your registration number and vin#, regardless of the lic plate#, they know it's your car and can find you. if you dont pay it with in the 30 to 60 days, you will definityly get a notice in the mail from the dmv saying, "unpaid ticket". worst thing that can happen is an increase in fines or a boot on your car.
      09-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #41
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
What you are asking is:
Am I an Honest or dishonest person?

If you don't pay it, and you end up feeling guilty, it's because YOU ARE.
      09-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #42
BiMMa b0i M3
Rep
Drives: 94 E36 325is

im sure that if it is the wrong plate number you should be able to fight the ticket in court.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 01:26 AM   #43
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_E90_SBLACK_325
DRFLUID. pay the damn ticket. I cant believe you are trying to weasel out of this. You should not be worried about the small amount of money you are paying. Think about the poor disabled or sick person which these spots are dedicated to. Stop being selfish and think of others. My brother died last year of cancer and in his final months he was less mobile which meant that everytime a bloody selfish person like you parked in the blue zone or disabled parking we had to drop him off with my sister and then find a park. You guys are truely selfish. Not one of you have looked at this from the perspective of the person that really needed that park. Even if it is for 30 seconds. For the record i never park in a disabled or no parking zone. One last thing you drive a BMW as if the ticket is something you cant handle....or is it?????

PS. I hope you guys dont ever have to go through what my brother and whole family went through because if you do this sort of behavior would never be acceptable.

Apart from that dont be too hard on yourself DRFLUID just take this and learn from it, im sure with this insight you may look at things in a new light. Keep smiling its only a ticket and im guessing you are an able bodied person otherwise no ticket.
hey sorry to hear what happen to your family. here in los angeles ca, you can see people walk fine and still have a handicap permit. everytime i go to the market or the mall i see people getting in and out of the car while parked in the handicap zone and they are fine. believe me, its wrong to park in the handicap zone but people do it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #44
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Hmmm......what would Dr Laura say?????? Something about doing the right thing.

You have learned a valuable lesson. Pay the ticket and move on....just not into another handicap space.
Appreciate 0