E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Aftermarket Clutch?

10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335i coupe FBO JB4/Meth

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Aftermarket Clutch?

What is everyone's thoughts on aftermarket clutch? I am running FBO's with meth and JB4 and don't plan on doing much else. I don't want something too racey that chatters and I want engagement to feel like stockish? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

We just installed the ACT Street clutch on a 135i that has FBO's and a custom Cobb tune and he is very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@PRS View Post
We just installed the ACT Street clutch on a 135i that has FBO's and a custom Cobb tune and he is very happy with it.
Had a couple of people tell me that the ACT engages very close to the floor and makes it harder to drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

I may be looking into this option when my ACT dies

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753877

And yes, My ACT engages almost on the floor. It does everything else great, but the low engagement point would've been a deal breaker had I known before.

A lot of others are trying Spec 2+. I haven't seen any reviews with the stock DMFW yet, but I've heard its good. Still waiting on a review. Although I'm not sure I could ever recommend Spec to anyone after the experience my brother had with them on a different platform. Check the technical forum, you'll get a ton more results for clutches.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

HPF supposedly has stock like engagement point and great clamping force. It is priced much higher than most other clutches though.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately I was not able to drive the 135i with the ACT, but I have driven an HPF clutch on a 335i and thought it was horrible. The SPEC clutches are great with the E60 M5's they we have worked with, but every car is different.

If you want to try out the ACT clutch you are welcome to come by the shop next TIME our 135i customer comes in with it and I'm sure he won't mind you trying it. He will be back soon for M3 suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I may be looking into this option when my ACT dies

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753877

And yes, My ACT engages almost on the floor. It does everything else great, but the low engagement point would've been a deal breaker had I known before.

A lot of others are trying Spec 2+. I haven't seen any reviews with the stock DMFW yet, but I've heard its good. Still waiting on a review. Although I'm not sure I could ever recommend Spec to anyone after the experience my brother had with them on a different platform. Check the technical forum, you'll get a ton more results for clutches.
That was a great write up, keep me posted if/when you decide to do anything... I think ACT is definetly off the table for me, at least for now. How about clutchmasters? My research thus far is leaning towards them, but now that write may have changed it? Getting new tires next week, Michelin Super Sports so clutch will be in the next month. If I can figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@PRS View Post
Unfortunately I was not able to drive the 135i with the ACT, but I have driven an HPF clutch on a 335i and thought it was horrible. The SPEC clutches are great with the E60 M5's they we have worked with, but every car is different.

If you want to try out the ACT clutch you are welcome to come by the shop next TIME our 135i customer comes in with it and I'm sure he won't mind you trying it. He will be back soon for M3 suspension upgrades.
Thanks for the info, I am still on the fence. At least for now, are you Will that is friends with Jack Adams from Fields in Daytona? He told me about you and your shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billt335 View Post
Thanks for the info, I am still on the fence. At least for now, are you Will that is friends with Jack Adams from Fields in Daytona? He told me about you and your shop.

Yes I am, Jack is a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That was a great write up, keep me posted if/when you decide to do anything... I think ACT is definetly off the table for me, at least for now. How about clutchmasters? My research thus far is leaning towards them, but now that write may have changed it? Getting new tires next week, Michelin Super Sports so clutch will be in the next month. If I can figure it out!
Another forum member down in SOFLA will be getting the Spec 2+ and using it with his DMFW in the very near future. His name is JMARS. Be on the lookout for a review. I've already talked to him about it, so he will give me his feedback on how it works. I can relay that info to you too.

BTW, let me know if you ever want to try my ACT to see the engagement point for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
Another forum member down in SOFLA will be getting the Spec 2+ and using it with his DMFW in the very near future. His name is JMARS. Be on the lookout for a review. I've already talked to him about it, so he will give me his feedback on how it works. I can relay that info to you too.

BTW, let me know if you ever want to try my ACT to see the engagement point for yourself.
Will do! Probably soon, what's your schedule usually like for the week? I work nights and am off Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You ever go to that UCF meet by the campus on Wednesday nights? Maybe I could just meet you there or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Will do! Probably soon, what's your schedule usually like for the week? I work nights and am off Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You ever go to that UCF meet by the campus on Wednesday nights? Maybe I could just meet you there or something?
I work from home, so I'm there most of the time (Baldwin Park). I do have to go to meetings fairly regularly, but during the day I can usually make time to screw around. I have law school at night, usually starting at 6.

I would like to go out their on Wednesdays at least once, but I have class from 6-9 so it would be tough.

In 2 weeks, I'll have a few extra ponies under the hood that might interest you and the other BMW guys there.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:
I work from home, so I'm there most of the time (Baldwin Park). I do have to go to meetings fairly regularly, but during the day I can usually make time to screw around. I have law school at night, usually starting at 6.

I would like to go out their on Wednesdays at least once, but I have class from 6-9 so it would be tough.

In 2 weeks, I'll have a few extra ponies under the hood that might interest you and the other BMW guys there.
Turbo Upgrade? I have only been there once myself, let me know if/when you head out there?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
JonCo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I've had the ACT for about 3k miles now. Love it. Yes lower engagement point and it was weird for the first couple of days. I don't even notice it now, and almost prefer it this way.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Billt335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [8.50]
Quote:

Went down to PRS today, heard you got the Spec2+ installed? How you like it? I am thinking the same route! Did you go with billet steel or aluminum flywheel? Thanks in advance!
JB4/ETS FMIC/Ultimate Racing Downpipes/MagnaFLow exhaust/ECS crank pulley/Dinan oil cooler/Dinan carbon fiber intake/Dinan Strut bar/VIS racing carbon fiber hood/CPE charge pipe w/Tial BOV/Meth/Spec Stage2+ clutch
Appreciate 0