E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Coolant temp sensor...

08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Angry Coolant temp sensor...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This issue keeps coming back, and causing my car to lose significant power without triggering a CEL. When it happens, the radiator fan kicks in high blast, I lose power, the oil temps drop really fast, and I have to pull over and restart the car. When I restart the car the rpm kicks in and maintains 1000 solid at idle for about 20 seconds, then it starts to come back down to a normal 6-700. This issue happens to me both with and without my procede rev 2.5 installed.

I've looked at other threads regarding this issue, and it seems no one has really come up with a solution or knows exactly what is going on, so I'm starting this one to get some fresh input on the subject as I know there are some people out there still experiencing this same problem.

Would the best thing to do be go to the dealership and have them replace the sensor? From what I've been reading, it has nothing to do with the sensor itself..

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I am getting the same issue but only with the procede installed. My symptoms are 12000 code(2ee0 - Engine coolant temp sensor) and extreme power loss, slower than stock.

I have a buzzing from the front of the engine bay with the car on accessories mode but not started. Once I start the car, the radiator fan sounds like a jet turbine and it does not stop running.

From what the Bentley manual states, with a bad ECT sensor, the car runs but assumes worse case scenarios for the coolant temps and restricts aggressive timing levels or afrs hence the possibility for reduced performance.

Now with the Procede uninstalled, my car does not throw the code and the fan functions normally but I still have power loss.

It appears that you're still under warranty and its only like a $15 part even if you weren't and I think it's pretty easy to change. I'd take it to the dealership, even if they don't change it, they'll give you an explanation as to why the problem is occurring.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

had the same problem with the procede, this was about the time there was the high rpm misfires. I replaced the temp sensor 3 times in that span, in the end I sold the procede as it caused too many problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
had the same problem with the procede, this was about the time there was the high rpm misfires. I replaced the temp sensor 3 times in that span, in the end I sold the procede as it caused too many problems.
You got the buzzing and fan issue also like I am?

I have a Bentley manual but can't get a good judge of where the ect sensor is.

Can you give any insight in respect to its location on the car.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
rustyrotors
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

This issue has been discussed here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=12003

If you are running a Procede, try adjusting the wastegate setting from the default 90% to 30%. Worked for me
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrotors
This issue has been discussed here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=12003

If you are running a Procede, try adjusting the wastegate setting from the default 90% to 30%. Worked for me
I will give that a shot. I'll report back

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200
I am getting the same issue but only with the procede installed. My symptoms are 12000 code(2ee0 - Engine coolant temp sensor) and extreme power loss, slower than stock.

I have a buzzing from the front of the engine bay with the car on accessories mode but not started. Once I start the car, the radiator fan sounds like a jet turbine and it does not stop running.

From what the Bentley manual states, with a bad ECT sensor, the car runs but assumes worse case scenarios for the coolant temps and restricts aggressive timing levels or afrs hence the possibility for reduced performance.

Now with the Procede uninstalled, my car does not throw the code and the fan functions normally but I still have power loss.

It appears that you're still under warranty and its only like a $15 part even if you weren't and I think it's pretty easy to change. I'd take it to the dealership, even if they don't change it, they'll give you an explanation as to why the problem is occurring.
Thanks for the info, for me the issue only occurs when I'm on the freeway maintaining around the same rpms for a long period of time, then when I go to get on it to blip the throttle to downshift, the revs don't shoot up as they should and that's when I look as see my engine temps way lower than they were.

Then I have to pull over off the freeway just to restart the car, pretty scary but I'll try adjusting the wastegate comp and see what happens

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Definitely some sort of Procede bug.

Here's another thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395973
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You can shut off the engine while moving down the road, but be careful, of course. I put it in neutral, hold the Start button down until the engine shuts off, then push in the clutch and restart. Back in gear, rev match, continue on. This is, of course, dangerous and should only be done if you're comfortable with shutting off a car moving at speed. Braking and steering may be compromised, so only do it if you're by yourself, not in traffic, and going straight.
      08-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had same issue. After adaptation reset and procede reset the correct way, the problem has disappeared for the time being. Definitely had something to do with Procede as I threw a 2EE3 code I believe
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm getting 2ee0, not 2ee3. Anyone know what the difference is??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Had this happen again on way to Bimmerstock. I have no clue what the hell is going on here. It only happens when I am cruising on the highway and all of a sudden I see the oil temps drop and drop. Have to pull over and shut off car and on and then far is back to normal. Read the codes and again it's this damn 2ee3 code. I just reset the procede again and see if this happens again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Had this happen again on way to Bimmerstock. I have no clue what the hell is going on here. It only happens when I am cruising on the highway and all of a sudden I see the oil temps drop and drop. Have to pull over and shut off car and on and then far is back to normal. Read the codes and again it's this damn 2ee3 code. I just reset the procede again and see if this happens again.
Dropping my wastegate comp helped me out with this problem, I also think it might have to do with my habbit of always switching between map 0 and map 1, I think the change in signals from doing so, multiple times, may cause this same issue, I just stick to map 1 now

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Dropping my wastegate comp helped me out with this problem, I also think it might have to do with my habbit of always switching between map 0 and map 1, I think the change in signals from doing so, multiple times, may cause this same issue, I just stick to map 1 now
You may be right about switching maps. I will just keep on map 4 and that's it. I have been running the engine and having to switch to map 0 to use INPA to read how the car is running. I will try that first before I raise my wastegates. I don't want to lower the WG % as it makes exhaust sound horrible
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You may be right about switching maps. I will just keep on map 4 and that's it. I have been running the engine and having to switch to map 0 to use INPA to read how the car is running. I will try that first before I raise my wastegates. I don't want to lower the WG % as it makes exhaust sound horrible
I know what you mean, my exhaust sounds sooo janky right now

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
I know what you mean, my exhaust sounds sooo janky right now
It has to be a bug in Procede as too many people are experiencing this. Lowering the wastegate % is a bandaide. If this keep happening I will be pissed but I rather not have my exhaust sound like crap by lower WG. I have mine at 90% maybe next I will try reducing it to 80 and take it from there. This sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
I have had the same issue and its absolutely a Procede issue. I have the BMW electric wheel and my coolant temp is bouncing around by 3-5 degrees all the time when i have the Procede installed. Without the Procede installed the temperature is way more calm without the fluctuations.

What happens is the coolant sensor gets a false reading and hits maximum temperature ( in my case 205C ). This causes the fan to kick in unnecessarily which cools the oil and coolant below the setpoint.

I have no idea what is causing it, i have screwed with the wastegate settings with no solution. I believe it has to do with a voltage that is interfering with the coolant sensor.
Reason i think this, is because when i rev the engine the temperature swings. When its at idle, its more consistent. When the engine is revving higher, the alternator is putting out slightly more voltage so somehow that is causing issues with the Procede and the coolant sensor.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
It has to be a bug in Procede as too many people are experiencing this. Lowering the wastegate % is a bandaide. If this keep happening I will be pissed but I rather not have my exhaust sound like crap by lower WG. I have mine at 90% maybe next I will try reducing it to 80 and take it from there. This sucks
Keeping WG position value high (80-90%) closes the wg more than the stock DME would. But in some cars, the extra current draw can trigger this coolant code. So lowering it to 40-50 (which results in stock-like wg position) will solve the problem but it may reintroduce wg rattle (if already a problem) and deepen the exhaust note. But that is how the car is supposed to run from the factory.

Dropping the value from 90 to 80 probably wont do a thing. I suggest dropping it to 40 for starters.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
I have had the same issue and its absolutely a Procede issue. I have the BMW electric wheel and my coolant temp is bouncing around by 3-5 degrees all the time when i have the Procede installed. Without the Procede installed the temperature is way more calm without the fluctuations.

What happens is the coolant sensor gets a false reading and hits maximum temperature ( in my case 205C ). This causes the fan to kick in unnecessarily which cools the oil and coolant below the setpoint.

I have no idea what is causing it, i have screwed with the wastegate settings with no solution. I believe it has to do with a voltage that is interfering with the coolant sensor.
Reason i think this, is because when i rev the engine the temperature swings. When its at idle, its more consistent. When the engine is revving higher, the alternator is putting out slightly more voltage so somehow that is causing issues with the Procede and the coolant sensor.
I can understand if the fan kicks on but once it does it doesn't stop until you shut off the car. If u don't it will make oil temps drop as low as 160 degrees and the car runs like total shit. Fuking dialing wastegate to 30 % is BS and bandaide. JB4 and cobb users I asked have never experienced this strange issue
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is this an issue with the current maps. When has this started happening, is anyone able to pinpoint it if they go back to previous maps.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
I can understand if the fan kicks on but once it does it doesn't stop until you shut off the car. If u don't it will make oil temps drop as low as 160 degrees and the car runs like total shit. Fuking dialing wastegate to 30 % is BS and bandaide. JB4 and cobb users I asked have never experienced this strange issue

I agree. I have encountered the same exact thing, restarting seems to fix it temporarily. I find it always happens to me at WOT.

Must be a map thing because i never had this issue before. I am on the Rev II 12-17 maps.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
I agree. I have encountered the same exact thing, restarting seems to fix it temporarily. I find it always happens to me at WOT.

Must be a map thing because i never had this issue before. I am on the Rev II 12-17 maps.
Just drop the wg position value to 40. The only relevant difference between older maps and the map you are running is WGDC during cruise. Raising it was an attempt to alleviate the WG rattle problem.
Appreciate 0