E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Parking in Manhattan

09-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Parking in Manhattan

Probably going to end up moving to Manhattan’s Upper East Side.

I’m not sure if it’s going to be long term thing, so I’m pretty set on keeping my car.

I was curious what people do for parking in NYC… since I’m going to be commuting people have said that I should be fine doing alternate side parking, but I still wonder if it would be better to leave the car at my parents or essentially make an extra payment for a monthly garage.

Does anyone have experience in this area?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

If you appreciate the look, shape or color of your bumpers then you better cough up to pay for the parking garage. Even that isn't guaranteed but it is way better than leaving it on the street.
      09-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
335itis
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335i

dude I would never take my car to manhattan.
leave it at your parents place.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

I park indoors @ 31st and 3RD.. GMC Parking. Only $260 month w/tax
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyXL View Post
Damn, that's not bad at all... Is it the kind of thing where you have your own spot and park it yourself or they pull it up for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
Damn, that's not bad at all... Is it the kind of thing where you have your own spot and park it yourself or they pull it up for you?
i would start calling companies around and see what rate you can get.

I'm pretty sure all of their systems are pull up
      09-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Chocolatethunder
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've seen people play bumper cars trying to get in and out of parking spots. And as far as the whole pull up parking i don't want anyone driving my car but me lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
lukkyp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 black 335i

Save your headaches and look for a cheap garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
SpunkyXL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynyny View Post
They park it for you..good lot. Been with them for 2 years. It's a big place. Has 3-4 levels of parking
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Alternate side parking sucks. Unless you were lucky (or patient) enough to park on the correct side the night before, you have to get up at the crack of dawn to try and beat the other drivers to a parking spot.

Or you have to sit in your car while double parked on the right side and wait for the street sweeper to pass so that you can then park again. F that!

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing how often you'll need your car and where your parents are. But if you're staying in Manhattan most of the time, I'd say leave it at your parents. It's free (I assume)! You will never really need it in the city. You'll take the subway/cab everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
Alternate side parking sucks. Unless you were lucky (or patient) enough to park on the correct side the night before, you have to get up at the crack of dawn to try and beat the other drivers to a parking spot.

Or you have to sit in your car while double parked on the right side and wait for the street sweeper to pass so that you can then park again. F that!

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing how often you'll need your car and where your parents are. But if you're staying in Manhattan most of the time, I'd say leave it at your parents. It's free (I assume)! You will never really need it in the city. You'll take the subway/cab everywhere.

Point taken.

Ya, my job and my parents are both in Westchester. I was hoping to be able to drive to work a couple days a week but it's looking less and less likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

The job is in Westchester? Why move to the city? I would think it's easier to drive down to the city on weekends or whenever you're hanging out than to live there and commute to Westchester everyday. You can probably get a nicer apartment for the money, too.

I used to live in Yonkers and worked way down by Battery Park. It was a loooooong ride on the 1/9 train from end to end, but it was still better than living in the city with a car (which I did for some time as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
motoringobsession
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 Jerez Black DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyXL View Post
Wow super cheap. Live in Hoboken thinking of making a move to NYC. Everywhere I looked its $500.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Longdoggy
Master Bates
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

hahaha. Parking in NYC SUCKS!
If you at all care for your car, do not part on the street.
I do recommend buying yourself a bumper bully no matter what. It will save your bumpers.

Parking in a garage is certainly no guarantee that your car will come out scratch free either.

I drive into the city 5 days a week from the burbs, but I drive my Jeep pretty much all the time. E90 stays home. My Jeep's bumper is totally fucked now. They also somehow put two large dents in the top of the trunk hatch.
If you park on a street, get ready for some of the most disturbing effects on a car you can imagine. With the NYC Parking laws, if you are one inch over a line or too close to anything your not allowed to park near (curb, hydrant, driveway, commercial zone, etc...), you will get a ticket. You get a few tickets, and before you have a chance to pay them NYPD will tow and impound you. They do not give a crap about your car. I have had some horror stories with NYC impounding. If your lucky you will just get the boot.

Check out the iphone app (probably have for droid too) called Best Parking. I found my garage for 250 tax included in midtown. Don't pay list prices the garages display. Use this app, let them contact you then negotiate. You can get a garage for 250-300, indoor and valet. This is the best you will do and is no guarantee they wont scratch your car.

If you really want to park on the street, buy a beater car. If you do get a garage, nice thing about it is if you come into the city on the weekend, you have free parking.
If you are working in the city, then look into doing pre tax parking contributions. You can have up to $250 taken out of your paycheck pre tax which will in effect lower your taxable income when it comes time to pay Uncle Sam.

RETIRED: 2011 E90 335i xDrive — Cobb AP3, PE Exhaust, Alpina TCU Flash, VRSF Charge Pipe
2017 Estoril Blue X1 M Sport — JB4
Appreciate 0