Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Deep dish question....

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Deep dish question....

On deep dish style wheels, does the ET (offset) effect the depth of the dish?

Since I'm in China, there aren't many knowledge people about these types of stuff... I tried asking a few but they said they don't know or will get back to me but never does).

Choices locally are limited so I plan on buying online (within China). One of the sizes I'm looking for is 18 x 8j with ET of 35 or 45.

Will the 35 dish be deeper then the 45 dish? I want that staggered look but they don't have different width, only different offset...

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
It really depends on the maker of the wheel.

For example cheaper cast wheels offsets really don't affect how big the lip is.

More expensive (forged, etc) wheels allow bigger lips and custom offsets.

PM some of the wheel vendors here and they should be able to answer your question much better.
      02-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocomppro View Post
On deep dish style wheels, does the ET (offset) effect the depth of the dish?

Since I'm in China, there aren't many knowledge people about these types of stuff... I tried asking a few but they said they don't know or will get back to me but never does).

Choices locally are limited so I plan on buying online (within China). One of the sizes I'm looking for is 18 x 8j with ET of 35 or 45.

Will the 35 dish be deeper then the 45 dish? I want that staggered look but they don't have different width, only different offset...

Any ideas?
It all depends on the type of construction.

for japanese companies, usually, they have preset disks with preset depths.
If you weld them to a barrel (2pc wheel), a smaller offset will mean a deepr dish (as long as same disk type).

if they are 3pc wheels, the the combination on outer rim, inner rim, and disk type will determine offset. Again, if they are the same disk, then the lower offset will have deeper dish.

but if this is a 1pc, deep dish, there is no way of telling unless the manufacturer specifies. Sometimes, they take the same casting but shave the rears for different offset, or they have totally different castings for every offset or part number.

i don't know if this helps but the guys that sell you the wheels should know.
      02-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Thanks for the answers. On the contrary, the people selling things here don't know that much. Most of the time, if they don't have something I exactly want, they'll suggest an alternative that makes them the most money. Then they'll give some excuse on why I shouldn't get the one I ask for. This is how the way Chinese are. The land of excuses. Or maybe it's just a bait and switch tactic.

Since there are too many variables, I think I'll just go with a good old M replica.

I'll post pics after I get them...

Last edited by turbocomppro; 02-14-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Depends, but..
Appreciate 0