E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Worth Certifying (CPO) car coming off lease?

07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Hachi
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Worth Certifying (CPO) car coming off lease?

I am buying my lease (a 2009 e92 w/35k miles) and am thinking about getting the car certified. Dealership quoted $1,600 ($300 of which is what their shop charges to look at the car). I have babied the car so i dont think I should be charged any additional fees. As I plan on replacing the car within 1.5 to 2 years is it worth it as I still has 1yr left of factory warranty left. Is there any significant value for resale? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
There is. It is a valuable resale tool and will slightly increase the value of your car as well as provide you and the future buyer some reassurance. Go for it.
      07-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
It's a waste of your money. If you plan on selling the car in 2 years, you will never see that money again. You have already babied the car and have all the receipts for all the work done. If the car hasn't been in any accidents or doesn't exhibit any body damage, your better off selling the car as is. People who buy CPO cars do so at dealerships not from individuals.
      07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
It's a waste of your money. If you plan on selling the car in 2 years, you will never see that money again. You have already babied the car and have all the receipts for all the work done. If the car hasn't been in any accidents or doesn't exhibit any body damage, your better off selling the car as is. People who buy CPO cars do so at dealerships not from individuals.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Waste of money? We had our X5 cpo'd after the lease was up and made that money back over and over again. If the car was babied that can be a good and bad thing a part can fail at anytime no madder what. 1,600 is a small price to pay to have protection if anything goes wrong with the car for only a 50 dollar deductible. People who are buying a USED car even from an individual will see the value of the car being CPO'd. One water pump, oil leak, and a set of coils will pay for your cpo. Plus you don't have to worry if something is going to break... And when you go to sell that car and it has warranty left you will get considerably more especially if you keep the miles low.

Last edited by e92oholic; 07-10-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Waste of money? We had our X5 cpo'd after the lease was up and the made that money back over and over again. If the car was babied that can be a good and bad thing a part can fail at anytime no madder what. 1,600 is a small price to pay to have protection if anything goes wrong with the car for only a 50 dollar deductible. People who are buying a USED car even from an individual will see the value of the car being CPO'd. One water pump, oil leak, and a set of coils will pay for your cpo. Plus you don't have to worry if something is going to break... And when you go to sell that car and it has warranty left you will get considerably more especially if you keep the miles low.
Naw, the dumbest thing I ever heard of just came out of your face.
      07-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

$1600 sounds like a good deal, CPO is the same as BMW silver extended warranty + the initial inspections, are the dealer going to fix/change anything that is not up to spec for you too? or are you going to pay for them if anything needs works, e.g. brakes, tires and all those stuffs.

there is definitely a plus to resale value, may not makes much different if you trade your car in, but if you are trying to sell it yourself, i would say yes for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Make sure this is still possible. My dealer told me they are no longer allowed to certify a leased car if the car is being purchased by the current leasee.
      07-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

I would, especially if you plan to keep the car past factory warranty. 1600 is not that expensive for a better safe than costly future scenario.
      07-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Hachi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuppiOne View Post
$1600 sounds like a good deal, CPO is the same as BMW silver extended warranty + the initial inspections, are the dealer going to fix/change anything that is not up to spec for you too? or are you going to pay for them if anything needs works, e.g. brakes, tires and all those stuffs.

there is definitely a plus to resale value, may not makes much different if you trade your car in, but if you are trying to sell it yourself, i would say yes for sure
I was told I might have to pay for whatever needs to be brought up to code however I told the dealership I would not be willing to do so since I have 1yr left of factory warranty anything required should be covered under it. I understand they focus on tires (I added aftermarket once I got the car so the OEM are 100%) and brakes (I had them swapped at 28.5k miles, im at 35k, so I hope they have at least 4mm). This being the case I hope not to encounter any issues either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Hachi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Make sure this is still possible. My dealer told me they are no longer allowed to certify a leased car if the car is being purchased by the current leasee.
I think the dealer rep. you spoke to misrepresented unless he is getting very technical on you because as I understand it the dealership actually buys it and certifies it and then sells it right back to you. In this scenario you are able to get a much lower interest rate and the selling price should be under the residual (at lease in my case like $1k less or so).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

CPO will give you an added peace of mind after that one year. If you are going to trade it in after 2 years for another BMW the CPO will help you get another grand out of it. If you plan on selling it yourself it will be easier to sell than a non CPO and you will get at least half of the CPO money you invest into it, if not all and then some. If you plan on trading it into say a Subaru dealer like I did they didn't give a shit about CPO and even after I told them a few times they still sold it "As is no warranty."
Sold: 2007 MB E92 335i, 2011 BSM E92 335i, 2014 EB M235i
Appreciate 0