E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My in-car streaming install

09-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My in-car streaming install

After almost a year, I finally decided to take the gear I removed form my e90 and have it installed in my F30.

Many thanks to Don aka 6spdcoupe for putting up with my constant tinkering and for doing such an excellent job.

I moved from an MS-8 to a Helix PP82DSP, moved my Morel mids, tweets, and sub over.

Since I was putting in the system, I decided to install a streaming solution. After going back and forth a hundred times, I settled on the following:

A Raspberry Pi running the Volumio distro
A tiny WiFi router (Hootoo Tripmate)
An external SSD
A Nexus 7 tablet for control.

The SSD is connected to the RasPi and has all of my music on it. The Pi is connected to the Helix DSP via Toslink. The RasPi and the Nexus tablet are connected vi WiFi so I can control what music is played, pause, scrub, choose a different track, etc. I can playback files in basically any format up to 24/192 uncompressed (even DSD files).

I can also stream to the Pi via Airplay and UPNP/DLNA.

And anyone that's in my car can connect to my WiFi network and stream as well.

There's an HDMI out incase I ever want to go nuts and run video.

It took a little tweaking, but I'm very happy with the result. I was worried about how everything would fit, but Don and team did a great job fitting everything in while providing access in case I need to adjust anything.

I'll post some pictures later.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Do you have any popping issues with the helix optical input?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I'd love to see/hear about more information on this

Does the wifi output to the vehicle's Aux?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
If I start up in optical I do. If I switch over after everything is up, I don't. Seems like there is a pop when the Helix locks on the optical signal.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
I'd love to see/hear about more information on this

Does the wifi output to the vehicle's Aux?
I don't have anything going in AUX. I could connect the PI to a DAC and go into the AUX. I thought about doing that but decided to just go optical.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon3
Quote:
If I start up in optical I do. If I switch over after everything is up, I don't. Seems like there is a pop when the Helix locks on the optical signal.
Could you explain further how to avoid the pop?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon3 View Post
I don't have anything going in AUX. I could connect the PI to a DAC and go into the AUX. I thought about doing that but decided to just go optical.
I'm confused as I'm used to choosing between Radio/Satellite/CD/Aux/USB on my head unit. So, how do you get to choose Wifi? I would have thought the Wifi would need to be piped into the Aux (of which my Aux port is relatively noisy)...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Could you explain further how to avoid the pop?
When i start the car, if the input is set to the OEM system, I don't get a pop. If I switch to optical 10 seconds or so after starting, I don't get a pop.

I get the pop if I have the input set to optical when I start up the car, I get a pop when right before the sound plays.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused as I'm used to choosing between Radio/Satellite/CD/Aux/USB on my head unit. So, how do you get to choose Wifi? I would have thought the Wifi would need to be piped into the Aux (of which my Aux port is relatively noisy)...
I'm only using the Wifi to control the Pi Music server. The Music server is sending an optical signal to the optical input on the Helix. I use the Helix remote to switch between the optical input and the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm only using the Wifi to control the Pi Music server. The Music server is sending an optical signal to the optical input on the Helix. I use the Helix remote to switch between the optical input and the OEM system.
Ahhhh, Gotcha!
So basically, to avoid the pop, always keep in switched to the OEM system until after the car has started
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhh, Gotcha!
So basically, to avoid the pop, always keep in switched to the OEM system until after the car has started
Yep, that seems to work for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

assuming you tested airplay after you left us? i know i was finally able to lock on, but you were just about to leave because of the time constraint, so we never got to test it at Don's.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, it's working fine now. Sounds great too. You guys did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sweet. Thank you!
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

My pleasure George and always glad to hear positive results !

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Why use a Pi with a N7 frontend rather than just letting the N7 control the whole show? It'd be easy enough to plug the SSD straight into the Nexus, as well as a DAC (or, since you've already got the helix, a TOSLINK out).
      10-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just got the helix urc-2a remote and it works to eliminate the pop in my system too. Just use the mode button to switch back and forth between head unit and optical from airport express with no pop. Bonus I now have a separate volume knob for the underseats with both inputs.

Where did you mount your remote, I am not seeing a real good spot, thinking about the little odiments tray that would house the idrive controller that my non idrive car has.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Why use a Pi with a N7 frontend rather than just letting the N7 control the whole show? It'd be easy enough to plug the SSD straight into the Nexus, as well as a DAC (or, since you've already got the helix, a TOSLINK out).
I don't have the tablet permanently mounted and didn't want a ton of wires running up front. I wanted the abilty to stream from my phone or if someone else had some music to share, for them to be able to stream as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
emoon3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just got the helix urc-2a remote and it works to eliminate the pop in my system too. Just use the mode button to switch back and forth between head unit and optical from airport express with no pop. Bonus I now have a separate volume knob for the underseats with both inputs.

Where did you mount your remote, I am not seeing a real good spot, thinking about the little odiments tray that would house the idrive controller that my non idrive car has.
There is no good place to mount it so I just ran mine up front and I keep it in the center console when I'm not using it until I figure out a better idea for it.

I'm really hoping that one day they'll make a bluetooth controller.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

pics? id love to see this set up
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

there really isn't much to show. the tablet is mounted in a cupholder mount and the PP82, Pi, hard drive, and wifi router are mounted where the factory amp location is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
pics? id love to see this set up
Appreciate 0