E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB/AUX issue and MULF2

11-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Wacky
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d msport business

USB/AUX issue and MULF2

Hi, I have a 2008 e90 my usb and aux are not working, each time I Click on aux via idrive it just says no external audio found and jumps to the radio, I have checked the connection on the aux/usb in the centre console it seems fine, I have a MULF2 unit in the trunk I have opened it and seen one blue clip, one black slot in adaptor, a thick black adaptor plugged in and next to that is another port which is empty nothing is plugged in it.. Also when i purchased the car the previous owner (twat) took out the TCU so there are a bunch of wires in the boot.. I have the bmw Y cable but still no luck it does not recognise aux or usb. Can someone please help?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

you need to give more info

you say previous owner removed TCU, not that big a deal with your current configuration (done right) and they go wrong lots.

once you add the MULF 2 a TCU is almost useless as the only extra features you'd get are pay services...

1) What head unit do you have and is it as per the original fitment?
a) MASK (non widescreen0
b) CCC (looks like above but is widescreen and actually a lot better)
c) CIC (looks like current)

2) Does your Bluetooth work?
3) Did You ever have the USB working?
4) How do you know it had a TCU?

if someone's played and swapped TCU for the MULF, I guess TCU broke and if BT and USB never worked you need to check wiring and coding is correct...

there's a bod I think http://www.ebay.ca/usr/navtvman very good in Birmingham, bit pricey but he sorted my MASK to new I drive controller... knew his stuff!

Last edited by BOTUS; 11-04-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Wacky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
you need to give more info

you say previous owner removed TCU, not that big a deal with your current configuration (done right) and they go wrong lots.

once you add the MULF 2 a TCU is almost useless as the only extra features you'd get are pay services...

1) What head unit do you have and is it as per the original fitment?
a) MASK (non widescreen0
b) CCC (looks like above but is widescreen and actually a lot better)
c) CIC (looks like current)

2) Does your Bluetooth work?
3) Did You ever have the USB working?
4) How do you know it had a TCU?

if someone's played and swapped TCU for the MULF, I guess TCU broke and if BT and USB never worked you need to check wiring and coding is correct...

there's a bod I think http://www.ebay.ca/usr/navtvman very good in Birmingham, bit pricey but he sorted my MASK to new I drive controller... knew his stuff!
Well i think the previous owner removed it not sure as i found a few bolts in the trunk, I have the CCC head unit idrive but not the widescreen one. My bluetooth is not working I am aware it did work for the previous owner as his phone is saved in the system, the usb does not work neither does the aux each time i click on aux it will say no external device found, The sos malfunction warning also comea up at each start up of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I'm just going off memory here, but if your Bluetooth doesn't work and your USB doesn't work, that seems to indicate that you either have no MULF, or the MULF is broken or not wired correctly. Having added bluetooth and USB to my car, I learned that the MULF2 Hi does both of these functions. Cars with TCU also have bluetooth, but no USB. As the above poster stated above, the TCU also provides some pay for functionality (I think some kind of emergency service (SOS) or something to that effect).

Question, when you look in the trunk is there anything else besides some loose bolts?
      11-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Wacky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I'm just going off memory here, but if your Bluetooth doesn't work and your USB doesn't work, that seems to indicate that you either have no MULF, or the MULF is broken or not wired correctly. Having added bluetooth and USB to my car, I learned that the MULF2 Hi does both of these functions. Cars with TCU also have bluetooth, but no USB. As the above poster stated above, the TCU also provides some pay for functionality (I think some kind of emergency service (SOS) or something to that effect).

Question, when you look in the trunk is there anything else besides some loose bolts?
Well i have some loose wires which connect to the tcu, with the mulf2 i have a 54pin blu connector connected, a thick black cable connected, a slot in wire connected, next to the black thick connection is a empty port which take a cable but i thinks its for the antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

wow it's pretty easy to look for images to see if its wired right

the TCU can do basic internet if you pay. I suspect it broke (that's what they do) and maybe that's why you see some BT menus / info.

SOS was only a feature of TUC. If you see any of that I doubt the MULF has been fitted right,

sounds like (assuming its is a Mulf) someone tried to fit it but never connected right and never coded anything
Appreciate 0