E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Customized wiring for meth controller

04-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Customized wiring for meth controller

As many of you know by now, I installed a DevilsOwn progressive water/meth injection system and an oil catch can in conjunction with my Clean Stage 2 tune from BPC. The results are worth the investment.

The progressive meth controller is not what I would consider pretty and really has no mounting provisions, but has to be in the cabin. Like others, I installed it in the glove box and fastened it to the back (removable) panel with velcro tape. I learned the hard way that DevilsOwn's design has a fundamental problem--it fails with the ground circuit closed. This means it will pump water/meth continuously, even with the car turned off. After the second such failure, the manufacturer told me the controller could not stand voltage on the controller from the pump when the car was off. Unfortunately, their instructions do just that.

So, I customized their wiring instructions to include a power switch, blue power monitoring LED, green boost monitoring LED, yellow tank monitoring LED, and a relay that opens the ground circuit when power is removed. I wanted to find a location on the dash to discretely mount these. It wasn't easy, but I succeeded.

Name:  Meth Monitor small.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  76.2 KB

The switch makes me feel better, as I can defeat the meth system at will. When it is turned on, the blue light is on. The green light monitors the pump operation, coming on dim as progressive control starts and getting brighter as boost (and pump duty cycle) increase. The yellow light alerts me when the meth tank is getting low.

Name:  Meth Monitor 2 small.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  79.8 KB

Pointing down toward the console, these lights are almost invisible, but the light they produce is visible as a reflection on the console surface.

If your meth controller turns the pump on by closing its ground (with or without modulation), and the pump is wired directly to the battery, do yourself a favor and install a relay that opens when power is off in the pump ground wire going to the controller.
      04-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I used a relay switch that controls power to my pump and solenoid only when the ignition is on KL15/ Acc. I retrieved the switched power from the cig lighter under the passenger kick panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 03:55 AM   #3
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

How about just going with another manufacturer? That said, nice work. I have been using a Snow kit trouble free and no funky wiring required.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

how did you get that lower trim panel off I wanted to mount my switch there also.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Install is very nice. Good job!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
I used a relay switch that controls power to my pump and solenoid only when the ignition is on KL15/ Acc. I retrieved the switched power from the cig lighter under the passenger kick panel.
Great job--a much smarter approach than mine initially. I was concerned with following the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Buyer beware.
      04-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
How about just going with another manufacturer? That said, nice work. I have been using a Snow kit trouble free and no funky wiring required.
If I had to do it again, I would. Thanks.
      04-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valves View Post
how did you get that lower trim panel off I wanted to mount my switch there also.
Top down. Grab your walnut trim to the left of the start button and pull. It will pull out and you can disconnect the wires and set it aside. Pull the climate control trim from the top with a quick jerk. Do the same with the radio surround. It and the lower panel are one piece. Snap back in starting from the bottom.

It's only scary the first time.
      04-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Install is very nice. Good job!
Thanks man.
      04-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKDZL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valves View Post
Top down. Grab your walnut trim to the left of the start button and pull. It will pull out and you can disconnect the wires and set it aside. Pull the climate control trim from the top with a quick jerk. Do the same with the radio surround. It and the lower panel are one piece. Snap back in starting from the bottom.

It's only scary the first time.
ok I will try it out thanks
Appreciate 0