E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > From 2007 335i to 2012 328i

04-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
DriveSchnell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

From 2007 335i to 2012 328i

Hey all,

I'm tired of the maintenance costs on my 07 335i plus dealing with some buggie issues. I'm considering moving into a 2012 328i. I'm hoping I won't miss the power of the 335i too much. And, looking forward to the warranty and included maintenance on the new car. In addition, I like that the 328i that I have located comes with the sports package and the other cosmetic and technology improvements. I'm a little unsure about the red.

Where I'm torn:
-Will I miss the power of the 335i?
-Will I like the red exterior

Here's the car. Whatcha think?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...69161989&Log=0
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
bill1718
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i ///Msport

i like it i think financially its a smart move as far as maintenance costs once these cars are out of warranty, service seems to be more and more money but you will miss the power i personally like the red exterior good-looking car
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Check the insurance - red might make it a little pricier.

Test drive first if possible. Personally I'd miss the power (mainly the torque).
      04-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Blacksage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Check the insurance - red might make it a little pricier.

Test drive first if possible. Personally I'd miss the power (mainly the torque).
They did not ask me for color when I insured my car.

Turbo 4? Maybe a dinan chip can increase the HP a bit. You can't get an older 335i in warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

OP, is your car stock or modded? I drove a loaner 328i and missed the power right away. Will you be making payments towards the 328i? How much have you spent on recent maintenance and "buggie issues"? Like someone stated you can also get a CPO 335i. You'll be trading maintenance cost fees over monthly payments for years...I rather not have monthly payments, but it's your choice in the end.
Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
E93FTW
BMW Über Alles
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert'

Garage List
2010 E93  [10.00]
I say go for it! That car is really nice!
      04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveSchnell View Post
Hey all,

I'm tired of the maintenance costs on my 07 335i plus dealing with some buggie issues. I'm considering moving into a 2012 328i. I'm hoping I won't miss the power of the 335i too much. And, looking forward to the warranty and included maintenance on the new car. In addition, I like that the 328i that I have located comes with the sports package and the other cosmetic and technology improvements. I'm a little unsure about the red.

Where I'm torn:
-Will I miss the power of the 335i?
-Will I like the red exterior

Here's the car. Whatcha think?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...69161989&Log=0
Will you miss the power? Hell yea!

The big question you need to ask you self is this... Do you like the back in the seat feeling and enjoy racing at the track? If its a yes you'll dislike your decision if you switch.

You also have to look at the reasons behind you switch. Your claiming its because of maintenance, well maintenance on any bmw is expensive so once your out of service its back to your pocket again.

How much do you owe on the car and how much of a trade in are you getting? Depending on those values it could be a lot cheaper to keep your car and pay for maintenance. There are many owners out their with well over 150k. I helped someone recently clean their intake valves that had 140k miles on his 335 and that car drives like a champ.

Before you switch, why don't you rent a 2012 bmw 328i for a few days and see if it fits what you need.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Ph3n0m
Pheens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Money - do you currently make payments on thru 335 and will you finance the 328? Maintenance is usually les than car payments

Power - what kinda car owner are you? Do u track ur car? Do you care about it? racings in my blood. I had two "non-performance" cars nd getting the 335 fixed me.

In the end this is ur call. I hate red cars lol. Is I fire truck Crayola red? Or is it darker, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Ph3n0m
Pheens
United_States
Rep

Autocorrect fail
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph3n0m View Post
Money - do you currently make payments on thru 335 and will you finance the 328? Maintenance is usually les than car payments
^ This.

I can't believe how many folks wont bat an eye to spend $15k-$30k more on a newer car to dodge a few thousand in maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
DriveSchnell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies!

I have currently had my car for 1 year. It is a 2007 with 70,000 miles. I bought it for $21,000 and owe about $17,000. I am about to have the turbos replaced under warranty. I need new rear tires and need to replace the windshield due to a crack. Thermostat needs to be replaced. The car bumpers are in poor shape. The rear needs a repaint while the front has a rip underneath and needs to be replaced. Wheels need to be fixed (curb rash and dents). I would rate the interior a 9/10. I might end up slightly upside down and have to roll into new loan.

The buggie issues I am having include:
-After market Weischleit angel eye (drivers side) doesn't always turn on especially in cold weather. The bulb has been replaced and same issue.
-Heated seat: There is no difference between high, medium, low setting. I can only stand having it on for about 5 minutes.
-Rear window: Doesn't always role up. It somehow gets stuck and I have to keep working the button to get it to move.
-Right front tire: Weird tire wear on 1.5" of outside tire on drivers side tire only. I am worried that it could be frame damage to a non-reported accident. The alignment was done about 3 months ago. That wheel was slightly out of alignment before. Wear seems to continue to get worse after alignment fix.
-Throwing code that engine is too cold. I think that I need a new thermostat and that it is failing open.
-Radio reception is awful when charging phone.
-There's probably more but those are what come to mind right now.

Also, I don't like that my car is black since it shows dirt compared to lighter colored car.

I test drove the 328i this weekend. Of course I was disappointed with the power. But, what do I expect coming from a chipped 335i with intake. I have heard that the turbo 328i can be chipped to feel like a 335i.

I ended up deciding I don't like the red and lack of power. I think I will stick with my current car until I find exactly what I want. Which is CPO'd 335i with m-sport package in white or estoril blue. At this point I don't want/need to settle.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Ph3n0m
Pheens
United_States
Rep

Well it sounds like you're pretty unsatisfied with your current car... Some of the items on that list people live with all day others are genuine issues that need attention. Agreed though if you can still get back and forth to wait for what you want. I spent the last two years and a bulk payment of $6k to get out of an upside down car loan and into the BMW (still upside down by about $1200), that is one thing you do NOT want. Make sure you're completely content with what you get. I wanted a manual sedan and got VERY lucky with timing, etc. Get your color, your power, and you won't be disaappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am about to have the turbos replaced under warranty.
Sounds like a blessing to me... Turbos normally last upto 100k so your good for another 100k if running at stock boost. If running with a tune then expect much less, but thats a end user problem not the car. Your waring it down faster by upping the boost. Its not bmw's fault when it comes to them waring out, but if its waste gate rattle that's a different story.

Quote:
I need new rear tires and need to replace the windshield due to a crack. Thermostat needs to be replaced.
Tires being replaced is normal maintenance on ANY car. Cracked Windshilds come with miles lots of highway miles, expect the new car to get one eventually. Thermostat is again maintenance and the new 2011 will require this too.

Quote:
The car bumpers are in poor shape. The rear needs a repaint while the front has a rip underneath and needs to be replaced. Wheels need to be fixed (curb rash and dents).
This is expected with cars that drive on the highway. This is expect with cars that are 8 years old... Look at it as the perfect time to upgrade. Buy the M-tech front and rear, or upgrade to the LCI front and rear.

Quote:
I would rate the interior a 9/10. I might end up slightly upside down and have to roll into new loan.
This actually really good for car thats 8 years old.

Quote:
-After market Weischleit angel eye (drivers side) doesn't always turn on especially in cold weather. The bulb has been replaced and same issue.
Then remove the angel eye and go back to factory? You installed it, this is not a bmw problem.

Quote:
-Heated seat: There is no difference between high, medium, low setting. I can only stand having it on for about 5 minutes.
If you can't notice the difference maybe the seats need warranty work? Or maybe you just ware a lot of clothing so its not easy to tell. I can tell the difference in both my 335i and X5's heated seats. If you don't want heated seats, don't use them.

Quote:
-Rear window: Doesn't always role up. It somehow gets stuck and I have to keep working the button to get it to move.
This could be the actuator, or something inside the window causing it. Not that big of a deal to fix. It could also be window seals.

Quote:
-Right front tire: Weird tire wear on 1.5" of outside tire on drivers side tire only. I am worried that it could be frame damage to a non-reported accident. The alignment was done about 3 months ago. That wheel was slightly out of alignment before. Wear seems to continue to get worse after alignment fix.
If this is the case, take to a shop and have them inspect it. If this is true, contact the old owner and tell them to take it back. It's illegal to sell a car with frame damage without disclosing it (at least in CA).

Quote:
-Throwing code that engine is too cold. I think that I need a new thermostat and that it is failing open.
Like i mentioned before its maintenence. I'd expect to replace these every 80k or so.

Quote:
This sounds like a phone,provider/area reception issue. I put my iPhone 5s in my arm rest in both my x5 and 335 and the reception is fine, although its less than if its not in there. This is not a bmw issue.

Quote:
Sounds like your looking for excuses to justify your purchase.

Quote:
Also, I don't like that my car is black since it shows dirt compared to lighter colored car.
Another reason to justify your purchase. If you hate the color you can pay to paint it, but i do agree this isn't cost effective most of the time if you get an expensive paint job, but imagine the possibilities of colors you can choose? It would be the perfect time to install your m-tech bumpers as well and even a hood.

Quote:
I test drove the 328i this weekend. Of course I was disappointed with the power. But, what do I expect coming from a chipped 335i with intake. I have heard that the turbo 328i can be chipped to feel like a 335i.
You won't ever make the 328i feel a 335i with out major work. Maybe a stock 335i feel with the tune, but never to the level you had with your tuned 335i. If you already miss it when test driving the car, you will be very disappointed a month from now after trading it in. Trust me, i did this as well.

After reviewing all your excuses it sounds like you are reaching out to the community for justification on your switch. I'm not here to tell you what to do, or how to spend your money, but i just want you to see what's going on. If you truly hate the car, sounds like you might then I highly suggest you trade it. Just make sure its 100% what you want. I've been down this road before and trust me the same reasons you had for purchasing the 335i to start with will come back again very soon. The switch to a 328i will only satisfy you for so long.

Honestly, you should like the perfect person to sell your car and switch to leasing. You can lease one for a few years, and upgrade to the newer model. This would probably help you out way more than going upside down on a loan.

If it was me, I'd do the maintenance, buy some new rims and tires and buy the m-tech front, rear, and side skirts and a hood and re-paint the whole car. I've pretty much done this with my car already. If your going to be upside down on the loan then why not put that money into fixing what you already have. I'm pretty sure you'll be very satisfied after you do.

Hopefully you do whats truly best for you. If you still feel the same way about your 335i and truly don't want to mess with it I highly suggest you trade it in, or switch to leasing. It doesn't matter what the end result is as long as your happy with your choice.

By the way, I hope this post doesn't come off in a bad way. I'm just expressing to the best suggestions that i have based on my own personal experiences. So good luck with your decision, just make sure you take time to think on it. At the very least, pick up a calculator and see how much your going to be upside down on and decide to you if that amount is worth putting into your current car.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

OP, you're going from the Ultimate driving machine (E90) to the newer not so ultimate driving machine (F30)... I would say fix your baby up and you'll get a lot of miles and smiles out of her . I just replaced a camshaft exhaust vanos solenoid and god is the car running beautiful! 80K miles same model and year as your 335i, black as well! A straight 6 agaisn't a 4 cylinder, you'll gain MPG's but most definitely lose torque, HP, and steering feel as well, because remember the newer F30's come with electronic steering, which hasn't quite gotten to where it needs to be!

Money on new car = 30K +

Money on fixing old car = <10K

Do the math OP
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you can live with a smaller car, I'd check out 135 models in addition to 335 models. Now that you are used to the power of a turbo 6, a turbo 4 will seem anemic. Look for a CPO or a 2011/2012 still under warranty for which you can purchase an EVP. That way you have a warranty to take care of any issues that come up.
      04-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
DriveSchnell
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey all,

I really appreciate all the feedback. Even though it really all comes down to personal opinion, many of the points actually help me to make a better decision.

What I've decided:
Repair and keep current car for a few more years. Probably not going to invest in anything not needed. Then I will begin my search for a 4 door 335i with "m sport" package in white or estoral blue. This is the car I really want and I don't want to settle and be unhappy with another car. The price on these is too high for me at this time especially considering being upside down on current loan. By the time they come down, I will be in a better place financially (some positive things looming with my current job state) and won't be upside down on current car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
So basically thermostat/tire wear... Thats the only issue I would worry about with a 7 year old car lmao.

have you contacted some of the local shops to look the car over... You've got such a great base around us of quality well priced shops that know these cars top to bottom, PTF, RRT, PY Motorsports, local clubs (I could get you in on FB)...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
OP, you're going from the Ultimate driving machine (E90) to the newer not so ultimate driving machine (F30)... I would say fix your baby up and you'll get a lot of miles and smiles out of her . I just replaced a camshaft exhaust vanos solenoid and god is the car running beautiful! 80K miles same model and year as your 335i, black as well! A straight 6 agaisn't a 4 cylinder, you'll gain MPG's but most definitely lose torque, HP, and steering feel as well, because remember the newer F30's come with electronic steering, which hasn't quite gotten to where it needs to be!

Money on new car = 30K +

Money on fixing old car = <10K

Do the math OP

My short stint in a F30 328i Loaner Poverty Spec model was enough to convince me I don't want one... ever.

Trashy engine, cheap interior, vague boosted steering and bigger overall.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

My short stint in a F30 328i Loaner Poverty Spec model was enough to convince me I don't want one... ever.

Trashy engine, cheap interior, vague boosted steering and bigger overall.

Yea I also got to test drive an F30 328i as well when I was looking for my 335i, and the difference is definitely there. The only thing I liked more was the Heads Up display on the windscreen that showed speed and navigation, but that's merely a creature comfort and still doesn't give me the Twin-Turbo'd inline 6 Beast that is the 335i. It's still fair game for you OP if you prefer the newer look and changes then by all means go for it, but the driving experience is definitely better in the E90 (for now atleast )

Good luck none-the-less on your choice and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

There isn't a bone in my body that wishes I had a 335i. I've owned 5 turbocharged cars in my life and I will never own another one, pieces of junk that always break. N52 or S65 only.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
There isn't a bone in my body that wishes I had a 335i. I've owned 5 turbocharged cars in my life and I will never own another one, pieces of junk that always break. N52 or S65 only.
All boosted and Supercharged cars come at a price. You pay more per HP and always will. These cars are pretty good compared to most out there. No matter what car you choose, supercharged and turbocharged cars will always be at a premium when it comes to buying, repairs. This is the cost that comes with owning a fast car. If cost is always going to be the deciding factor then i totally agree, stick to a non turbocharged car.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #22
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
All boosted and Supercharged cars come at a price. You pay more per HP and always will. These cars are pretty good compared to most out there. No matter what car you choose, supercharged and turbocharged cars will always be at a premium when it comes to buying, repairs. This is the cost that comes with owning a fast car. If cost is always going to be the deciding factor then i totally agree, stick to a non turbocharged car.
Like an E92 M3
Appreciate 0