E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Which setup is better? Desperately need expert help!

05-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #45
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

ok thanks, will probably use logic 7 though. Ive tried listening without it for a couple of days but i think i prefer it with logic 7.

Do you think i should amp the vibe, 2 morel components and underseat woofers (use up 5ch on jl amp)? It will feel kinda weird using only 5 channels....or do u think i should leave the centre vibe on ms-8 power, and bridge for the morels and use all 6ch? FYI i tend to turn the centre channel down as when the level is in the middle, it seems too narrow of a front stage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cant you biamp the vibe? I think its designed to do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #47
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

From day one ive said to amp the center. Remember. I started off focusing on my front doors. The center is the most important speaker in the car. You will get used to it, and moreover you will love it
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #48
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
ill have to carry on doing more research i guess

Unless anyone else knows if the soundstream would be better than the XD?
Soundstream is not what it used to be. They make good stuff, but nothing like JL. I carry both brands, and have no issues installing either of them, but your goals seem to be more toward clarity, than SPL. With the Morel components (some of my personal favorites) the XD amp will be perfect for you.

Focal makes a sub that fits under the seat that will truly surprise you. The XD600/6 will fit nicely behind a panel in the trunk, and you won't need to lose any trunk space.

When it comes to signal adjustment (line output converter from the factory amp to low level) I recommend the AudioControl LC8, for an economic choice that sounds great. If you want to upgrade to something more serious, use the MoBridge MOST preamp in front of your MS8.

My question is this: Why not use Vibe speakers all around? I love the Vibe line (we sell FliUnderground here), and think you'll be impressed with the Space line from them. They sound very similar to the Morel, and are priced a little lower. Plus, you'll be supporting a company local to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
From day one ive said to amp the center. Remember. I started off focusing on my front doors. The center is the most important speaker in the car. You will get used to it, and moreover you will love it
Yes i remember u saying that the centre is the workhorse.

Im guessing biamping the centre will be a lot better than amping it normally. To do that i will need to separate the tweeter from the woofer and then run another wire down wont i? Do u know how to separate the tweeter so i can wire it separately from the woofer?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

use a passive crossover. 6spdcoupe carries them. This will allow you to send one signal wire from the amplifier, then split it into the correct signals from the crossover to each speaker
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #51
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

i dont think i need a passive xover as i have an ms-8
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #52
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

if you are using 2 outputs from the MS8 to run the center then you are correct. However, if you are only using ONE output from the MS8 then you will need a passive crossover.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #53
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Send an email to vibe and ask them
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #54
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
if you are using 2 outputs from the MS8 to run the center then you are correct. However, if you are only using ONE output from the MS8 then you will need a passive crossover.
I am using one ms-8 channel with a coaxial which has its own crossover
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #55
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
lol i dont think so, what a waste of time that would be. plus im sure people on here know.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #56
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
Ok. Thought u would have a spare ms8 channel
If. Not just run 5ch
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #57
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
did I misread what you typed? I understood you to say you wanted to bi-amp the mid and tweeter in the center, which would require 2 amplifier channels, and 2 channels from the MS8
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #58
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
lol i dont think so, what a waste of time that would be. plus im sure people on here know.
C'mon man, this is classic 'paralysis by analysis'. You've asked the questions, received the answers from several knowledgeable people, now make your decision & pull the trigger.

Dreaming up even newer, more elaborate configurations sounds cool, but still doesnt improve the sound in your car.

Save yourself the time of investigation: use one amplifier for each driver, all actively crossed-over, study the crossover points for years; add DSP, and it won't sound 2% better than any of the recommendations that you already have in this thread.

It's your system & your choice, but I'd rather be listening to it than still talking about it.

Hope you come up with something you like.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #59
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol i knoww mann i really want to get this over and done with. i never thought it would take this long but i want to have the best system for my budget. im not really a guy to go rushing in and buying stuff, and then get my hands burnt.

on the flip side i know myself that im just naturally bad at making decisions. but at least i've finally decided on the amp! thats impressive for me

The only thing left to decide now is whether to amp centre, or bridge for morels. this, i think, i will have to try out the suggestions and listen to them.

Before i started this project i looked at car audio being a science. but its clearly an art.

Last edited by mob17; 05-05-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #60
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol i knoww mann i really want to get this over and done with. i never thought it would take this long but i want to have the best system for my budget. im not really a guy to go rushing in and buying stuff, and then get my hands burnt.

on the flip side i know myself that im just naturally bad at making decisions. but at least i've finally decided on the amp! thats impressive for me

The only thing left to decide now is whether to amp centre, or bridge for morels. this, i think, i will have to try out the suggestions and listen to them.

Before i started this project i looked at car audio being a science. but its clearly an art.
The decision to amp the center has been made for you

Yes, im serious
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #61
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

you have an MS-8....each channel needs to be amplified
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #62
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Amping the center is much more important. Just try it out and if it doesn't get loud enough then you can try bridging. Might as well pick up a hearing aid while your at it if you need to do that. Don't worry about only using 5 channels.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #63
seanarms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

The notion of center amplification is interesting. I am in the process of designing my system. My installer plus one forum member contend good staging can be achieved without a center channel and with a proper tune (assuming one has a good processor).

I find the center in the logic 7 to be more of an annoyance than anything else and tend to agree. How much better does the MS-8 correct this? I don't know. It seems to me, even though the center is amplified it has no more presence than rear fill which many debate the usefulness of also.

I will probably start with a strong left-right front stage with a sub and processing (much like my home system) listen/ evaluate then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #64
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanarms
The notion of center amplification is interesting. I am in the process of designing my system. My installer plus one forum member contend good staging can be achieved without a center channel and with a proper tune (assuming one has a good processor).

I find the center in the logic 7 to be more of an annoyance than anything else and tend to agree. How much better does the MS-8 correct this? I don't know. It seems to me, even though the center is amplified it has no more presence than rear fill which many debate the usefulness of also.

I will probably start with a strong left-right front stage with a sub and processing (much like my home system) listen/ evaluate then go from there.
The center in an ms8 system is the workhorse. Its not an annoyance

Yes, you can achieve a good soundstage (for one seat only) by time aligning that seat. My center isnt hooked up right now (waiting on parts) but still sounds like its there.

Do you have oem l7? People seem to agree that the ms8 does a better job than oem, but oem can be improved significantly by addition of a tweeter
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #65
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The decision to amp the center has been made for you

Yes, im serious
If only u could make all my life's decisions...

Serious about....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Amping the center is much more important. Just try it out and if it doesn't get loud enough then you can try bridging. Might as well pick up a hearing aid while your at it if you need to do that. Don't worry about only using 5 channels.
I think i will probably need a hearing aid later on in life. But my decision to bridge is not about getting the morels to play super loud, its more to do with gettig better sound quality. But i will probably do what u have said, try without bridging first. My gut feeling is that i will be happy as no one really has bridged the morels wih the xd on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanarms View Post

This is exactly what i've heard from vpelectricity. I guess its a personal preference. Personally i dont like a really narrow centre stage but this is something u can still overcome in my experience. since actually listening to logic 7 and having a centre speaker, im growing to like it. I admit, at first it was really weird for me, but thats because ive always been used to music coming all around me. To componensate i just turn the centre level down a touch and the front stage seems to get wider.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #66
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

No Offense to vp electricity but i dont think hes gotten the best possible results from
Ms-8. I have nothing to back this up but you really have to buy into the AndyW mindset to get the most from the unit...and ive gotten amazing results.

Fyi i am spending a lot of money to go from an un-amped center to an amped center.
Appreciate 0