E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Taking car in for warranty work with mods on!

11-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

Taking car in for warranty work with mods on!

Warranty is up Oct 2012 (little less than a yr left)

Recently my car's been misfiring. (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598731)

Changed spark plugs and ignition coils, that did not fix the problem. Been running the same tune (Procede v4 autotune) and mods for a while now, so I know it's not that. Misfires even when on stock map. No OCC, and I'm around 26,000 miles (so it'd better not be carbon buildup).

This all leads me to believe it's fueling, ONCE AGAIN (a/f ratios also seem to point to this, from my uneducated estimates). I've had a couple of HPFPs replaced back when my car was stock, and one when I had tune only. Now that I have a bunch of bolt ons, this HPFP replacement and/or fuel injectors will be interesting...

I've decided it simply isn't worth it to pull off the DPs, FMIC, tune, etc, all for 11 months of warranty (and truthfully fueling issues plague this car, modded or not). Called my SA this morning (have no idea if he's mod friendly or not - I go to him for maintenance mostly) and told him I have some bolt ons, but need him to help me with what I think is a fueling issue. I said please check out HPFP, injectors, LPFP. Please replace whatever is possible. He said to drop it off tomorrow morning.

So...all parts stay on. I'm sick and tired of removing stuff for service. I just want these damn misfires resolved. Valet mode here we go! Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Damn gutsy move 11 months anything can happen, then again its a pain to remove all the parts you listed, good luck man hope the dude is chill about it
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

does the car misfire without the Procede? Also which Maps are you running. I was running the 7/29 maps on the older Rev 2 hardware and I was getting similar symptoms to what you described, I switched to older maps, I believe ones released in May, without any issues. I have since upgraded to the 2.5 procede hardware running the Aggressive Maps, and everything seems ok with the short test drive I did last night.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Good luck. My dealer wouldn't fix my misfires without me putting the stock downpipes back on. After that, it was charged a diagnosis fee plus spark plugs and one coil. Needless to say, I switched dealerships after that. I was able to keep my warranty, but got screwed in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I know guys that have brought cars in full bolt ons even meth and had turbo's replaced and clutches too. Its the luck of the draw. But when in doubt take it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Gd luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
does the car misfire without the Procede? Also which Maps are you running. I was running the 7/29 maps on the older Rev 2 hardware and I was getting similar symptoms to what you described, I switched to older maps, I believe ones released in May, without any issues. I have since upgraded to the 2.5 procede hardware running the Aggressive Maps, and everything seems ok with the short test drive I did last night.
07/29 maps, v4.

If I have time tonight I'll take it out, but I doubt it's the tune. Been running the same map / tune for a while with no misfires and out of nowhere they popped up before I left on holiday. I have misfires on valet mode as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
07/29 maps, v4.

If I have time tonight I'll take it out, but I doubt it's the tune. Been running the same map / tune for a while with no misfires and out of nowhere they popped up before I left on holiday. I have misfires on valet mode as well.
If you have misfire in valet mode, you will have it with the Procede removed as well. Which is great since the dealership won't have a hard timing tracking the problem down and replacing whatever needs to be replaced. Just make sure you remove the tune before going in. Or else they will have reason to give you a hard time.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 11-16-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

gl, ur gon need it

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep

Well, no dice.

(Worst dealership in Northern CA, use them bc of convenience, drop off before work and take a cab to the office): Well sir, it looks like your car's been modified extensively. (proceeds to list mods). In fact, we don't want to diagnose your car even if you pay out of pocket, because of all the aftermarket modifications.

Void my warranty, thats cool, since if you play you must pay. But is that last part even necessary?

Time to be more scientific and figure what's the exact problem. Again, as posted in the first thread - spark plugs and ignition coils have already been changed. Now I'm guessing fueling issues, but which part?

Shiv, if you're reading this - do you know of a shop that you can recommend, since I live near your neck of the woods. (Don't know how to code injectors if indeed that is the problem).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

We don't like your kind son....
Now there's a dealership that takes the performance out of the name BMW, in all respects.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
Well, no dice.

(Worst dealership in Northern CA, use them bc of convenience, drop off before work and take a cab to the office): Well sir, it looks like your car's been modified extensively. (proceeds to list mods). In fact, we don't want to diagnose your car even if you pay out of pocket, because of all the aftermarket modifications.

Void my warranty, thats cool, since if you play you must pay. But is that last part even necessary?

Time to be more scientific and figure what's the exact problem. Again, as posted in the first thread - spark plugs and ignition coils have already been changed. Now I'm guessing fueling issues, but which part?

Shiv, if you're reading this - do you know of a shop that you can recommend, since I live near your neck of the woods. (Don't know how to code injectors if indeed that is the problem).
Did they void it for good - or can you still make your way to another dealer and try again?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the trade, but does that mean that wont even honor the free maintenance with a DP?
      11-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
chinesechicken
S3X DR1VE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i Coupe

They might have flagged your VIN. You next safe bet would be to remove the mods and take it to another service center and try your luck. Maybe they will just push the car through.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the trade, but does that mean that wont even honor the free maintenance with a DP?
I've only had the one experience - but DPs were the first thing they pointed out as a possible issue for not working on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesechicken View Post
They might have flagged your VIN. You next safe bet would be to remove the mods and take it to another service center and try your luck. Maybe they will just push the car through.
Yeah I'll find out on Monday when I pick up my car as to whether or not they flagged my car permanently. Most likely. Whole reason I took the car in with mods is because a) warranty is almost up anyway b) it just isnt worth it to me to take all that crap off. I mean, if it was just an intake and tune, OK. FMIC, DPs, diverter valves, etc.

Any Northern California indy shop recs? tia!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
chinesechicken
S3X DR1VE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i Coupe

You never know. You still have a little less them a year... When it comes to free service and replacement parts for a BMW... I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Wish you the best of luck
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
But when in doubt take it out.