E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone in California pass smog with catless downpipes and downpipe fix?

09-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #45
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Not really sure, but I have to do it sometime before 12/8.
      09-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
You should leave yourself some extra time in case you fail smog and need to modify your car back to stock in some way for a re-test.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #47
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Wise man... I failed, but realized after the fact that I was a dumbass and forgot to change the map beforehand. Bottom line, Cobb's OTS E30 map sprays way too much fuel to pass even when the cats are hot and cracklin' as I went for an hour drive through the Malibu Canyons before I smogged.

I've been driving around on the Valet map all week (RPM limited to 4000 with turbos disabled and fuel trims very lean) and will resmog for free this weekend. At least I found a place with a free resmog.

Key Info / Notes listed below:
- AR catless downpipes (installed for the last 12,000 miles - I mention only b/c it impacts the burn-out rate of the secondary cats)
- OEM pipes and secondary cats (72,000 miles) w/ Magnaflow Performance Mufflers
- BMS V3 Downpipe Fix - did its job as you can see that the OBD check passed
- Cobb E34 tune (it's just the OTS E30 map with the fuel scalar adjusted)
- OEM LPFP w/ 72,000 miles
- N54 engine w/ 29,000 miles
- I let the car idle the 10 min or so while I waited
- Tech commented about the BMS DCI and said that he was technically supposed to fail me just b/c they didn't have some special stickers on them, but he was cool about it and just speculated that maybe that's why I failed... yeah, that's why

PS - the tech messed up the details below as my car's a 6MT and has a quad exhaust

Last edited by SneakyDeeky; 10-31-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #48
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Check this link http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...%209.17.13.pdf it talks about the new OBD testing for CA smog. It looks like they will start beta testing the new way to smog for cars 2000 or newer early november and hopefully they will implement it soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #49
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
Wise man... I failed, but realized after the fact that I was a dumbass and forgot to change the map beforehand. Bottom line, Cobb's OTS E30 map sprays way too much fuel to pass even when the cats are hot and cracklin' as I went for an hour drive through the Malibu Canyons before I smogged.

I've been driving around on the Valet map all week (RPM limited to 4000 with turbos disabled and fuel trims very lean) and will resmog for free this weekend. At least I found a place with a free resmog.

Key Info / Notes listed below:
- AR catless downpipes (installed for the last 12,000 miles - I mention only b/c it impacts the burn-out rate of the secondary cats)
- OEM pipes and secondary cats (72,000 miles) w/ Magnaflow Performance Mufflers
- BMS V3 Downpipe Fix - did its job as you can see that the OBD check passed
- Cobb E34 tune (it's just the OTS E30 map with the fuel scalar adjusted)
- OEM LPFP w/ 72,000 miles
- N54 engine w/ 29,000 miles
- I let the car idle the 10 min or so while I waited
- Tech commented about the BMS DCI and said that he was technically supposed to fail me just b/c they didn't have some special stickers on them, but he was cool about it and just speculated that maybe that's why I failed... yeah, that's why

PS - the tech messed up the details below as my car's a 6MT and has a quad exhaust
Please do post after retest. I am so interested in getting rid of the catted down pipes. If you can pass with those installed, on a stock map, then, hell yea! Can't wait to see the retest with passes.

Mark

Last edited by MandMs335Msport; 10-31-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3ss View Post
Check this link http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...%209.17.13.pdf it talks about the new OBD testing for CA smog. It looks like they will start beta testing the new way to smog for cars 2000 or newer early november and hopefully they will implement it soon.
If this gets implemented, do you think our cars with cat**** downpipes can pass since the tailpipe test is no longer being used? I run cat**** downpipes without any check engine light because I'm running the Stage II Cobb AP. I'm just not sure when Smog goes to do the test if I will automatically fail when they plug their device into my OBD II because their device can see that the Cobb AP has disabled the check engine light for cat**** purposes. (I have a feeling I would still fail)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #51
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
If this gets implemented, do you think our cars with cat**** downpipes can pass since the tailpipe test is no longer being used? I run cat**** downpipes without any check engine light because I'm running the Stage II Cobb AP. I'm just not sure when Smog goes to do the test if I will automatically fail when they plug their device into my OBD II because their device can see that the Cobb AP has disabled the check engine light for cat**** purposes. (I have a feeling I would still fail)
You will still fail. The only way to pass the OBD test with carless downpipes is if you install the BMS Downpipe Fix into the ECU. Autoclearing tunes like the JB4, Proceed or Cobb don't prevent the signal from being generated, they just delete it before it's displayed on your dash. The OBD test portion of the smog check will detect this.

As for the OBD only testing, that laws been in place for a while now, but trust me as I did a fair bit of research and everyplace is still doing the sniffer test for ALL cars b/c they can charge more. Nobody even offers the OBD only test. If they did, I would have passed.

I plan on retesting tomorrow.
      11-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #52
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Quote:
You will still fail. The only way to pass the OBD test with carless downpipes is if you install the BMS Downpipe Fix into the ECU. Autoclearing tunes like the JB4, Proceed or Cobb don't prevent the signal from being generated, they just delete it before it's displayed on your dash. The OBD test portion of the smog check will detect this.

As for the OBD only testing, that laws been in place for a while now, but trust me as I did a fair bit of research and everyplace is still doing the sniffer test for ALL cars b/c they can charge more. Nobody even offers the OBD only test. If they did, I would have passed.

Very helpful, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #53
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMs335Msport View Post
Please do post after retest. I am so interested in getting rid of the catted down pipes. If you can pass with those installed, on a stock map, then, hell yea! Can't wait to see the retest with passes.

Mark
Thank you for sharing your results!

I have to do my smog next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #54
lep911
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Son of a B***. Failed smog today.

Just my luck to find a thorough inspector. I passed the sniff and ODBII test. But, left my BMS DCIs on and I guess that tipped the inspector to do a very very thorough visual inspection of my cats.

Well, I have the AR catless DPs so he'd never find them. He even took a mirror that was mounted on a broomstick (like the ones you see the bomb squad looking under vehicles).

This is what I had on the car when I smogged it today.

BMS DCI
AR catless DPs
BMS DP fix
JB4
aftermarket axle back exhausts

The only thing I failed was the visual inspection. I drove the car home from work, about 45 min highway, so the engine was nice and warm. Guess I have to find a shop where visual inspections and inspectors aren't as anal.

If anyone has a suggestion on shops in SOCAL, please PM me. here are my results:

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep911 View Post

Just my luck to find a thorough inspector. I passed the sniff and ODBII test. But, left my BMS DCIs on and I guess that tipped the inspector to do a very very thorough visual inspection of my cats.

Well, I have the AR catless DPs so he'd never find them. He even took a mirror that was mounted on a broomstick (like the ones you see the bomb squad looking under vehicles).

BMS DCI
AR catless DPs
BMS DP fix
JB4

The only thing I failed was the visual inspection. I drove the car home from work, about 45 min highway, so the engine was nice and warm. Guess I have to find a shop where visual inspections and inspectors aren't as anal.

If anyone has a suggestion on shops in SOCAL, please PM me. here are my results:

He marked you down for modified PCV, Missing catalytic converters, and modified emissions.

In situations like this you get flagged from the dmv and could be force to see a referee or forced to smog the car every year. A friend of mine got caught with an X pipe on his mustang and the smog shop reported him, a month later he got a notice saying that if he hasn't passed smog he needs to see a referee. Then he was shocked to find out the following year that he now needs smog every year. I'm not sure how long it sticks but hopefully dmv doesn't see that.

Missing cats is a Huge Flag in CA and they despise it. Also all the fails show up on the car fax report, but I'm not sure how that would affect the value on the trade in.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #56
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good luck finding smog shops to not care about mods. They are getting cracked down on HARD by the government.
Going rate is $300-$400 for the old fashion way of passing lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #57
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

For those who say that catted DP's wont pass, I have a OLD, OLDDDDD set of Riss Racing (yea, remember them?) Catted Pipes and passed with an o2 sim mounted. My emissions were slightly high but well below the max numbers...

Only comment the guy made to me was "I think your cats might be going out"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #58
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Not to mention that, but lep911 has just shown that he passed the "sniffer" portion, so it is possible to pass a CA smog test with catless DPs... so long as it doesn't involve a thorough visual inspection.
      11-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #59
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster
Not to mention that, but lep911 has just shown that he passed the "sniffer" portion, so it is possible to pass a CA smog test with catless DPs... so long as it doesn't involve a thorough visual inspection.
That's true, but it's not worth the risk of getting flagged. If they write down modified or removed on the smog check you'll be forced to smog the car ever year till it passes a certain number of times without trouble.

But that's just me. It's why I didn't care to switch mine out. I'd rather not have to deal with smog ever year that would be the biggest pain in the ass. If you know someone then go for it, if not trying to cheap out may just frustrate you later on if your car gets flagged. On top of that you can only go to test only stations if you get flagged.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #60
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep911 View Post

BMS DCI
AR catless DPs
BMS DP fix
JB4

So what did you do other than the long drive and DP fix to get those numbers?? Also, everyone should at minimum put your stock airbox back on to make at least some effort for inspections. Also it doesn't hurt to pay for a pre test (this way the shop makes a little money and would be less of a dick).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #61
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
So what did you do other than the long drive and DP fix to get those numbers?? Also, everyone should at minimum put your stock airbox back on to make at least some effort for inspections. Also it doesn't hurt to pay for a pre test (this way the shop makes a little money and would be less of a dick).
He hasn't posted ever since he posted in this thread. I'm guessing that he's either extra busy, or dealing with the issues relating to his "tampered" smog attempt since thats what the smog shop put on their. Totally sucks, but if dmv caught up to it, i can only imagine the headache he might be going through and Possibly heavy fines since its illegal to tamper with smog. Hopefully it was as easy as re-smoging it and not getting flagged, but since smog is electronic it makes it a lot easier to get flagged.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #62
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
He hasn't posted ever since he posted in this thread. I'm guessing that he's either extra busy, or dealing with the issues relating to his "tampered" smog attempt since thats what the smog shop put on their. Totally sucks, but if dmv caught up to it, i can only imagine the headache he might be going through and Possibly heavy fines since its illegal to tamper with smog. Hopefully it was as easy as re-smoging it and not getting flagged, but since smog is electronic it makes it a lot easier to get flagged.
Thats about the only good thing about NJ... No sniffer test... And even my older OBD1 car can pass with 660cc injectors with nothing special going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #63
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Thats about the only good thing about NJ... No sniffer test... And even my older OBD1 car can pass with 660cc injectors with nothing special going on.
Thats good. In 2012 the law passed to start smog without the sniffer, but CA shops refused to stop the sniffer out of selfish need to rip off customers by forcing them to pay for a service that the law no longer requires. Its all about money and the shops are ripping everyone one off and since there all working together we've yet to see one shop stop this. CA wrote in the law that the sniffer test is a way for smog shops to make extra income by forcing people to pay for extra labor, giving reasons for smog shops to fail you.

The only way it'll change is when the law isn't suggested, but mandatory.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #64
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Thats good. In 2012 the law passed to start smog without the sniffer, but CA shops refused to stop the sniffer out of selfish need to rip off customers by forcing them to pay for a service that the law no longer requires. Its all about money and the shops are ripping everyone one off and since there all working together we've yet to see one shop stop this. CA wrote in the law that the sniffer test is a way for smog shops to make extra income by forcing people to pay for extra labor, giving reasons for smog shops to fail you.

The only way it'll change is when the law isn't suggested, but mandatory.
Sounds like all we need is a class action law suit against a major smog shop chain and all the others will fall in line. Just need to find a $cumbag lawyer and just put a pool of money together from the forums. All we need is a donation paypal account and someone trust worthy to take on the cause. If a small percentage of forum users in cali pitch in like $5 each... That should be more than enough to get a decent lawyer to take on the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #65
duceswild
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

Quote:

Did you have any success? I hate to see this thread die so close to the end
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #66
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceswild
Quote:

Did you have any success? I hate to see this thread die so close to the end
Seems to me everyone is worried about sniffer test? Why..? it's not required by law. Just go to shop tell them run obd2 test and visual your done. Don't let them do anything else

Could also put e85 in the tank!

Putting the stock airbox in will definitely help out to those anal visual inspectors.
Appreciate 0