E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > nissan gtr

01-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
^^^^ This

Or M6 - try either one, they're insanely good.
Andrew, you do crack me up sometimes.

Anyhow, fair point. Can't believe how 'cheap' they are, had a looksy and done some comparing!

Never understand car pricing tbh.........bloody mystery sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #24
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

palm nuts
just seen the number of your posts is that real?
      01-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_330i View Post
My brother in law has been looking for one, and found that only certain Nissan dealerships can service them. I think the closest one to him was around 2 hours away.
True and False

There are plenty of Indy's too.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #26
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesum View Post
i know they have to be serviced at a nissan hpc but litchfields are cheap for servicing _ im after any real life stories
are the back seats usable, can you fit golf clubs in boot etc
Back seats are usable, but not for any length of time. Had 4 x 6 footers in it for an hour.

2 sets of golf clubs in the boot easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
MisterS3 has a GTR and plays golf. Could be helpful
Fast Datsun owner at your service
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Charlie, you need help wanting to change your car so often. I just don't understand it!

Anyway, heres my opinion on my admittedly limited experience of driving a couple of variations (on a 2 hour'ish test drive).

Firstly, the good bits:

Gearbox - very fast and efficient and way better than the TC in the AMG. I don't however think it's as effective as the PDK in the Carrera S that I recently drive but on the whole, I loved the 'box.

Performance - it certainly felt quick, quicker than my C63 did in acceleration terms from a standing start. Once on the move...not so sure, it wasn't night and day quicker thats for sure.

Handling - was pretty good in the fact it went round corners quickly and there were no traction issues. It wasn't exactly brimming with feel and you could tell it was a weighty car but on the whole, it was a good handler.

Now to the other bits....most of which were deal-breakers for me:

Ride - far too hard for the UK, even in it's softest mode it was just too much to use on a daily basis. It never settled down even on the motorway and the Porsche in comparison really shows how it should be done for a road car.

Build quality - it didn't feel an overly robust car in all honesty - lots of rattles both from the interior and the drivetrain. I've never been in a new car that rattled and buzzed so much in fact!

Driving position - too high and the seats were OK at best. Should be better in a purpose-built sports car like this as it's not hampered by being based on a normal car.

Space - if you need it for four useable seats...forget it. The rear seats are no better than the shelves in the back of the 911 and given the size of the car, it's a little odd how small it is inside.

On the whole, I did see the appeal of it as an occasional car but as something to use everyday, on our roads, I thought it was just too harsh and too unrefined.

This probably explains why there are so many newish ones for sale with low mileage - people have them for a short while then when the novelty wears off, the bad points that I've highlighted simply make it an unappealing car to use as a daily drive.

One more thing....just go and look on the GTR forum and have a read of the problems owners have! I know you'll read such things on any forum but over there, it seems to be a whole lot worse!
Not a bad summary.

I'd disagree with the problems. (touching every piece of wood going )
Also the rear seats are not great but better than benches in Porsches.

Had my 65 year old mum and 70 year old dad in mine (picked up from airport), and they were okay for the hour journey.

It is rock hard suspension - but i'm used to it. Makes the E70 Msport feel more comfortable

Chipping to 580bhp is easy too

I don't have any rattles or buzzes in my car...there are mechanical noises. eg diffs, gearbox, calipers. But again it's all part and parcel of that charm for me.
Saying that, i've put dynamat in mine at the back to compliment my sound system.

There are lots for sale because of the speculators and guys who can't afford to keep them due to economic downturn. Saying that there are people changing for the new model.

It returns 20mpg easily. 12 when really pushing on, but it's impossible to really give it beans.

Handling...i raced a motorbike and he couldn't get away from me because it corners are amazing speeds.

Colin Hoad who writes for Evo has done a piece on the car.

As for parts and servicing. You can provide your own oil and fluids. I also negotiate avoiding stupid stuff like changing the pollen filter based on time. All approved by nissan.

Saying that as a daily driver tyres and brakes are not cheap.

Best bet is to get an extended test drive.

BTW - mine is a 2nd car only because i don't want to take it to my work and show off. Which is bizarre if you consider i drive an X5 40D - but it just doesn't attract any attention. The GTR STILL gets tons of attention and there are dozens around Glasgow.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #29
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

many thanks mister s3 - guess id better go and look at one
westover in poole area have a few to view
      01-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #30
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
many thanks mister s3 - guess id better go and look at one
westover in poole area have a few to view
Oh and as for dealers the guys down south have varying opinions. Some are very poor. I'm kinda lucky in that i've built up a pretty good relationship with Nobles in Edinburgh. eg I got 370 Roadster courtesy car last time (which is not that far off a GTR in terms of feel and handling minus the power when you consider the price).

It's definitely not a no brainer like some would say, and maybe say an M5 Touring is

Maybe i'd feel different about it if it was my Daily Driver although i know plenty who have chipped, tracked and still use theirs on a daily basis.

It'll be the ride that puts you off as said by Palmster or the handling that will suck you in.

I tend to drive around in auto most of the time but if i do go manual i put it in race mode for fast changes (i wish this was default).

Another thing that is crap is the paint on them. Really thin and cheap.

And the speedo is useless - i have the digital speedo up on mine in the DIS (or whatever nissan call is)

The BOSE stereo is shockingly bad.

Don't pay for rear parking sensors - get the rear camera solution (aftermarket.)

Steer clear of the early (May 2009) models - although they should have all had their engine recall. But you really want a Sept 2009 onward Sat Nav version.

It's not a track car in my opinion as tyres as the moment are expensive. Although some have gone down the route of 2nd set of tyres. And aftermarket brakes (Nissan's are too expensive)

All said and done, i'm not selling mine EVER. Well maybe for that electric Jag when it's £8 a gallon

After your test drive if you've got any questions, i'll try my best to answer.

I've subbed to this thread. If you lived closer i'd come down with you to have a look at it. Or let you have a close look at mine.

Best of. Hope you like, but it's not the be all and end all, although i like it

Ramble over
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #31
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
You need to be at least 6'2" to run one otherwise you look like an Oompah Loompah.

The road tests forget that bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #32
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
You need to be at least 6'2" to run one otherwise you look like an Oompah Loompah.

The road tests forget that bit.
Wee man syndrome again Matt?

@CharlieSum - the seat height is electrically adjustable. And most people complain it's too high (as Palmnuts has said)! Again i'm used to X5 so it's fine for me. Oh and a little known point, is that if you give the rear view mirror a good shove (i mean a good hard shove) it goes up so you can see for hairpin lefts.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #33
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nope Mister - I just saw a shortar5e (yes, much shorter than my 5'8.5" towering form) in one the other day and he looked like he was about 7. Such is the size of the GTR.

Oh and technically, I'm just on "overweight" for BMI ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Awesome car end of.
      01-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #35
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
After two pages of chat I thought it would be nice to have a look at the beast in question (just in case it helps with your decision )...

(oh, and I do wish those damn 370Z Roadsters would come down in price a little; they seem to be stuck )
Attached Images

Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #36
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Awesome car end of.
When are you getting yours?

With the new one coming in at £70k the old one should hold it's price a bit.

Plus you could get it tuned to a 9 second car

If you go on Nagtroc, there are tons of people running 800bhp plus!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #37
charliesum
First Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=335diesel;
Oh and technically, I'm just on "overweight" for BMI ;-)[/QUOTE]

PAH!
your not anyone til you are OBESE on the BMI!!!
      01-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #38
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
When are you getting yours?

With the new one coming in at £70k the old one should hold it's price a bit.

Plus you could get it tuned to a 9 second car

If you go on Nagtroc, there are tons of people running 800bhp plus!
Not yet mate, next car is likely 335i, then M5.

Then maybe after that mate One came up behind me at 3am Sun morning. Loved it! Wish he had nailed it!
      01-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #39
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
After two pages of chat I thought it would be nice to have a look at the beast in question (just in case it helps with your decision )...

(oh, and I do wish those damn 370Z Roadsters would come down in price a little; they seem to be stuck )
I'd probably for go the soft top personally, but the 370Z is a very good car and one i'd be happy with even after the GTR. The steering feel is very similar and pointing one round the twisties is pretty easy. Love the rev matching.....but i'm getting sense of deja vu
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #40
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
PAH!
your not anyone til you are OBESE on the BMI!!!
I'd need to do a lot more weight lifting and drink more horrible protein drinks - YUCK.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #41
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not yet mate, next car is likely 335i, then M5.

Then maybe after that mate One came up behind me at 3am Sun morning. Loved it! Wish he had nailed it!
M5 all the way!! Get the older one E53? (i can never remember)

Awesome cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #42
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M5 all the way!! Get the older one E53? (i can never remember)

Awesome cars.
Nah mate E60/61 all day long! Love the V10!
      01-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #43
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nah mate E60/61 all day long! Love the V10!
Sorry yeh that's the one...about £25-30k

Mate who had M5 and GTR at same time- now sold both and has M3 CSL now - which is another car that's not far off a GTR in terms of handling and sound etc. I'd also happily take one of those!

His M5 was mint and if i had the space, i'd have taken it off him. Beautiful tubi exhaust. He works off shore so hardly around to drive his cars. But they get used for Rio Prestige so well looked after when he's not around.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry yeh that's the one...about £25-30k

Mate who had M5 and GTR at same time- now sold both and has M3 CSL now - which is another car that's not far off a GTR in terms of handling and sound etc. I'd also happily take one of those!

His M5 was mint and if i had the space, i'd have taken it off him. Beautiful tubi exhaust. He works off shore so hardly around to drive his cars. But they get used for Rio Prestige so well looked after when he's not around.
Sounds lovely. What a dream garage. I spoke to an owner of a GT-R at the 'Ring, who had a M5 previously.

He said from 100mph-200mph the M5 would keep up with the GT-R easy. No way from a standing start!! Which we all know

On track, well its gave over for the bm LOL.

I will get a 335i first. have that a year or so.