E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension questions

02-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Suspension questions

Sorry, this is long, just trying to give as much info to get the best suggestions.

I've owned my 2010 E92 335i M Sport for about 6 weeks now. It had 49.5k when I bought it, and it's now at 50.5k, so I've had some opportunities to push the car and get to know its characteristics.

I'm not stoked with the suspension. It's stock M Sport stuff, on stock 193s with Michelin PS2 RFTs. Comfort wise, it's hit and miss, depending on the road I'm traveling, but that's not my main issue. My main problem with is how unsettled the car feels cornering over bumps. One of my favorite freeway on ramps, that I get to experience everyday coming home from work, has a bump just passed the entry point and one near the exit of the first curve. When there's slower traffic in front of me, and I cross those bumps at 30-45mph, it's fine, but when it's clear and I can get on it at over 50/60+ mph those bumps really unsettle the car. I've also noticed 2 other things...when I go over a speed bump at low speed with my windows down, I can hear an air leak, hiss type of sound from the rear shocks, but not the front. The other thing is that I put on 15mm spacers on the rears, basically the day that I bought it, and it barely rubbed on occasion...I mean minimal. Coming home last night, I noticed it rubs a lot more now, like almost over every dip/bump I drive over. Otherwise, daily driving, the car feels fine, handles most road conditions ok, steers and tracks straight and without issues.

So, that brings me to some questions.

How long do stock M Sport struts and shocks typically last on the 335i. Suspension bushings? I already know I need to replace the tie rods because I took it in for an alignment shortly after purchase and was told they were seized, a common problem with our cars from what I've read.

Further more, I'm debating between upgraded shocks/struts/springs or coil overs. I've read many reviews on both setups, but not enough to steer me in one direction, or another.

My goals?

Lower the front ride height, I'm happy with the rear on the stock Sport suspension.
Increase handling characteristics, reduce body roll, make the car behave over bumps in corners...
Maintain, or stay close to the ride "comfort" of the stock Sport suspension. This is my daily driver, but it gets its workouts and it will see some track days.

My thoughts?

I'm guessing the 50k mile shocks and struts need replacing.
New tie rods and alignment.
Replace tires with not RFTs.
Bushings...maybe a complete suspension make over?

I could use some suggestions, as the choices are vast from new stock replacements, aftermarket non adjustable and adjustable struts/shocks/springs, coilovers, M3 parts...

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Sorry, this is long, just trying to give as much info to get the best suggestions.

I've owned my 2010 E92 335i M Sport for about 6 weeks now. It had 49.5k when I bought it, and it's now at 50.5k, so I've had some opportunities to push the car and get to know its characteristics.

I'm not stoked with the suspension. It's stock M Sport stuff, on stock 193s with Michelin PS2 RFTs. Comfort wise, it's hit and miss, depending on the road I'm traveling, but that's not my main issue. My main problem with is how unsettled the car feels cornering over bumps. One of my favorite freeway on ramps, that I get to experience everyday coming home from work, has a bump just passed the entry point and one near the exit of the first curve. When there's slower traffic in front of me, and I cross those bumps at 30-45mph, it's fine, but when it's clear and I can get on it at over 50/60+ mph those bumps really unsettle the car. I've also noticed 2 other things...when I go over a speed bump at low speed with my windows down, I can hear an air leak, hiss type of sound from the rear shocks, but not the front. The other thing is that I put on 15mm spacers on the rears, basically the day that I bought it, and it barely rubbed on occasion...I mean minimal. Coming home last night, I noticed it rubs a lot more now, like almost over every dip/bump I drive over. Otherwise, daily driving, the car feels fine, handles most road conditions ok, steers and tracks straight and without issues.

So, that brings me to some questions.

How long do stock M Sport struts and shocks typically last on the 335i. Suspension bushings? I already know I need to replace the tie rods because I took it in for an alignment shortly after purchase and was told they were seized, a common problem with our cars from what I've read.

Further more, I'm debating between upgraded shocks/struts/springs or coil overs. I've read many reviews on both setups, but not enough to steer me in one direction, or another.

My goals?

Lower the front ride height, I'm happy with the rear on the stock Sport suspension.
Increase handling characteristics, reduce body roll, make the car behave over bumps in corners...
Maintain, or stay close to the ride "comfort" of the stock Sport suspension. This is my daily driver, but it gets its workouts and it will see some track days.

My thoughts?

I'm guessing the 50k mile shocks and struts need replacing.
New tie rods and alignment.
Replace tires with not RFTs.
Bushings...maybe a complete suspension make over?

I could use some suggestions, as the choices are vast from new stock replacements, aftermarket non adjustable and adjustable struts/shocks/springs, coilovers, M3 parts...

Thanks in advance.
OEM shocks & struts are toast 50 to 75k

Personally, if money is not an obstacle. I'd do the following :

In the next 25,000 miles -

- Bilstein B12 lowering kit

- M3 controls arms in the front

- M3 Subframe bushings & Differential bushings in the rear

- Hotchkiss adjustable swaybar links front & rear

- Eibach swaybars Front & Rear.

Long Term (between now & say 125k)

- 335IS engine mounts
- Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts

- M3 rear control arms
- New rear trailing & toe arms
- New bushings in the rear subframe for the front lower control arms & main arm in which the shock & spring arm mounted on.
- New surrounding hardware for struts & shocks
- New tie rods.

IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 2500-4000 miles for the B12 lowering kit to settle and break in.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
ttd_zac
Rep
Drives: 335D

Does this look like I'm on the right track? Thanks mweisdorfer! Reading up on your suggestions has been very helpful. Might
Get the ECS front/rear sway combo. Still undecided on shock/struts. This is from FCP.

Cart Reference Number: R371409078
Item Qty. Total
BMW Strut Mount - Lemforder 31306775098 $60.18 ×
BMW Shock Mounting Kit - Monroe 907984 $24.38 ×
BMW Shock Mount Lower - Lemforder 33526768544 $14.09 ×
BMW Shock Bump Stop - Febi 33536767335 $11.78 ×
BMW Shock Mount Sealing Grommet - Genuine BMW 33506767010 $6.70 ×
BMW Strut Bump Stop - Genuine BMW 31336767333 $49.20 ×
BMW 5-Piece M3 Control Arm Upgrade Kit - BMWMCAKIT $328.99 ×
BMW M3 Control Arm Installation Kit - 31106763928KT $44.99 ×
BMW Tie Rod Assembly Left - Lemforder 32106765235 $57.79 ×
BMW Tie Rod Assembly Right - Lemforder 32106765236 $57.79 ×