E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > hero2 camera

09-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

hero2 camera

just bought motorsport one of these not had a chance to use it, anyobe had experience of them. bought it to use on bike and car
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Tremendous bit of kit!

My son borrowed one, got some good footage whilst surfing (including underwater - he's not very good!).

Did some Mountain biking with it too - helmet mounted. Excellent pictures in HD, no vibration/shake. Wide angle lens means that close things will look quite far away, so not good for distant stuff.
Battery life good - it was filming for most of the day and coped well on a single charge.

Downside: no screen to see what you're shooting, so you need to mount it first and take some test video to make sure you're not shooting sky or ground. Also, the HD files can be extremely huge, so takes ages to load onto the PC/Mac. If you use a card reader, and a large card, make sure the PC/Mac can cope with the large card size. Not an issue if you connect the card the the PC with the camera itself.

He wanted to give it a go on his car, but was frightened of it falling off (no security strap with it) so didn't bother.

Guess what he wants for his birthday now!!!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

make sure it is well attached. ive had mine fall off when mounted on the side of the car. i dont think the surfaces were clean enough, though it seemed well attached at the time. it was recording at the time, quite funny in hindsight as you see the footage of it falling off on a speedbup, people finding it, taking it to a restaurant, wondering what it is, until you see me wander into shot after 5 mins looking relieved to find it!
      09-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've got one, had it for a while and only used it once for downhill mtb, recently just got round to buying a 32gb class 10 memory card too for it, It takes really good video's and is a cracking bit of kit if you have a use for it.

You can buy a screen serperate that attaches so you can view taken vids or to position it but as said a test vid can be easyish enough.

If I was mounting it outside of the car i'd claybar the surface prior to sticking it on for maximum chance of it staying put, or have some sort of safety cord tied round it/the car so it can't disappear completely

Just need to look on youtube to see how good they are and what they can be used for..lists are endless.
      09-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
I've got one, had it for a while and only used it once for downhill mtb, recently just got round to buying a 32gb class 10 memory card too for it, It takes really good video's and is a cracking bit of kit if you have a use for it.

You can buy a screen serperate that attaches so you can view taken vids or to position it but as said a test vid can be easyish enough.

If I was mounting it outside of the car i'd claybar the surface prior to sticking it on for maximum chance of it staying put, or have some sort of safety cord tied round it/the car so it can't disappear completely

Just need to look on youtube to see how good they are and what they can be used for..lists are endless.
some sort of safety cord is highly recommended
      09-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just read your story there ajd, that is pretty funny! at least you got it back
      09-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Tremendous bit of kit!

Guess what he wants for his birthday now!!!!
Any hints on the best (i.e. cheapest reliable) place to get one?
Seen some at sub-£200 new, but not sure about the sellers.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
just bought motorsport one of these not had a chance to use it, anyobe had experience of them. bought it to use on bike and car
I've got one Jeff,and as others have commented it is a terrific bit of kit.

I always use some type of secondary safety leash (if attached externally) to make sure that should the sucker give way I don't lose the camera.

You can get a tow hook mount,not found one in the UK though,but if you're interested here's a link:

http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=982

If you want to preview what you're intending to video,or see what's being recorded,you can get one of these:

http://www.proviationshop.co.uk/shop...BAC-PAC.001%26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Any hints on the best (i.e. cheapest reliable) place to get one?
Seen some at sub-£200 new, but not sure about the sellers.

Mike
I got mine from here:

http://www.proviationshop.co.uk/shop...6O&shop_param=

Not sure Proviation is the cheapest,but the service/delivery was very good.

Prices vary greatly depending on what model you go for.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I've got one Jeff,and as others have commented it is a terrific bit of kit.

I always use some type of secondary safety leash (if attached externally) to make sure that should the sucker give way I don't lose the camera.

You can get a tow hook mount,not found one in the UK though,but if you're interested here's a link:

http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=982

If you want to preview what you're intending to video,or see what's being recorded,you can get one of these:

http://www.proviationshop.co.uk/shop...BAC-PAC.001%26

I got mine from here:

http://www.proviationshop.co.uk/shop...6O&shop_param=

Not sure Proviation is the cheapest,but the service/delivery was very good.

Prices vary greatly depending on what model you go for.
Tony, thanks for that will get one as it looks as though it will be very useful and save time setting the camera up

i bought mine from DigitalRev on ebay for £228 including the card excellent service and reliable
Appreciate 0