E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just bought 325i. Have questions.

03-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Just bought 325i. Have questions.

I will start by saying this is my second BMW. I previously had a 335i Coupe loaded with all the options. Getting through the Tech of that was easy because of the screen and iDrive.

Now my budget and vehicle needs have changed a bit and I find myself in a 325i sedan. I private party purchased the vehicle so dealerships are not offering me much in the way of advice. I don't know if I just bought the most base line version of this car to ever hit the road or if I just don't know how to navigate the menus without the iDrive.

Current Questions:

1. I have a telephone button on the steering wheel and the head unit, but cannot find anywhere that allows me to sync my phone. is it possible that the buttons remained to keep symmetry but do not actually function?

Note: When audio is set to Aux. I get a Tel-Vol menu on my radio that allows me to change the volume of what I believe to be a telephone that I don't know how to connect.

2. Trying to find out if I have satellite radio capability is proving harder than expected. Do you know where the stock unit would be installed? There is a box on the left side of the trunk under a plastic tray labeled "CD". Obviously may be the brain to the CD player - Just seems bulky for a cd player brain. but there are no other distinguishing markings that would indicate it is the SDARS unit or the CD unit.

3. In the audio menu WTH is S-Vol? If it's subwoofer it's the size of a thimble and hidden somewhere.

4. I have this HUGE red thing hanging from my rear view mirror that seems to just turn left and right to adjust for high beams from behind. Is this really just the Glare Reducer? It seems like an Air Traffic Controller device attached to my mirror.

Potential Upgrade Questions:

1. My 335i had the Xenon’s that lit up perfectly, this 325i has the yellow bulb, do I need a special ballast to get that nice white glow I am seeking or can I just get some bulbs. (Not looking to do any purple ebay crap).

2. Does this car have the Fiber Optic wiring for the stereo requiring a complete overhaul if I want to put a new system in?

Thank you guys for looking and any answers you may provide!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Nice username= No love from me
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got you to click the thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also this post has been around for years, I wasn't up for trying a million variations of e90 + BMW + 325 + etc... to find a username. I knew MercedesFan1 wouldn't be taken.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

If you want help, my advice would be change your name first and try the researching the issue first. There's plenty of answers out there.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
If you want help, my advice would be change your name first and try the researching the issue first. There's plenty of answers out there.
You guy are really snobs about the whole Mercedes vs. BMW thing. I have owned two of each. High end and base line, personal preference is Mercedes over BMW, I didn't come here to debate that though. The Username is one part joke and two parts not wanting to search endlessly for a BMW related Username that wasn't taken. If you prefer I can repost this under my old username AlpineWhite335i, but that doesn't seem appropriate considering I no longer have that car. I came to ask some questions regarding the current 325i that I purchased. If you are going to be a snob, don't bother replying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesFan1 View Post
You guy are really snobs about the whole mercedes BMW thing. I have owned two of each. High end and base line, personal preference is Mercedes over BMW, I didn't come here to debat that though. I came to ask some questions regarding the current 325i that I purchased. If you are going to be a snob, don't bother replying.
So why wouldn't you buy a Mercedes like the ugly looking kompressor?
Btw I'm Mercedes worst fan....
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.

Last edited by gunnerxq; 03-04-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Quote:
I will start by saying this is my second BMW. I previously had a 335i Coupe loaded with all the options. Getting through the Tech of that was easy because of the screen and iDrive.

Now my budget and vehicle needs have changed a bit and I find myself in a 325i sedan. I private party purchased the vehicle so dealerships are not offering me much in the way of advice. I don't know if I just bought the most base line version of this car to ever hit the road or if I just don't know how to navigate the menus without the iDrive.

Current Questions:

1. I have a telephone button on the steering wheel and the head unit, but cannot find anywhere that allows me to sync my phone. is it possible that the buttons remained to keep symmetry but do not actually function?

Yes, you can still have the phone connect buttons without actually having it as an option.

Note: When audio is set to Aux. I get a Tel-Vol menu on my radio that allows me to change the volume of what I believe to be a telephone that I don't know how to connect.

2. Trying to find out if I have satellite radio capability is proving harder than expected. Do you know where the stock unit would be installed? There is a box on the left side of the trunk under a plastic tray labeled "CD". Obviously may be the brain to the CD player - Just seems bulky for a cd player brain. but there are no other distinguishing markings that would indicate it is the SDARS unit or the CD unit.

3. In the audio menu WTH is S-Vol? If it's subwoofer it's the size of a thimble and hidden somewhere.

Yes it is subwoofer volume. They are located under both the driver and passenger front seats 8" in size.

4. I have this HUGE red thing hanging from my rear view mirror that seems to just turn left and right to adjust for high beams from behind. Is this really just the Glare Reducer? It seems like an Air Traffic Controller device attached to my mirror.

Some call it the clown nose lol! It adjusts the mirror and if you have a factory alarm the LED indicator is located in there. If you have the auto dimming mirror the red dome is smaller.

Potential Upgrade Questions:

1. My 335i had the Xenon’s that lit up perfectly, this 325i has the yellow bulb, do I need a special ballast to get that nice white glow I am seeking or can I just get some bulbs. (Not looking to do any purple ebay crap).

Yes any h7 halogen bulb of your choice should work if you have halogens. Ive ordered from this site in the past. http://www.halolightstore.com/defaul...=platinumwhite or you can upgrade your xenon bulbs if they come with HIDs.

2. Does this car have the Fiber Optic wiring for the stereo requiring a complete overhaul if I want to put a new system in?

There is a link from the headunit to the amplifier located in the trunk. Your best option for upgrading the stereo is to get a JBL MS-8

Thank you guys for looking and any answers you may provide!

Answered what I could. Most of your questions can be answered by searching in the section that pertains to your question.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
Answered what I could. Most of your questions can be answered by searching in the section that pertains to your question.
You're the man, Thank you for you reply to my actual questions. It seems that I really have one step above roll up windows here. The car will get done what I need it to but I have a feeling that I'm either going to dump some money into options or have to trade this thing out. I need my bells and whistles.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Thrasher
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

s-vol is NOT subwoofer volume, it is the speed sensitive volume. I'm not 100% sure how it works or what the scale means though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

If you go to a dealer and ask nicely, they may print out a spec sheet with the options your car came with. If not, trial and error!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2006 e90 cars do have MOST bus audio systems. They also came pre-wired for phone, so you will have a phone button even if that option isn't installed. Not sure about SAT radio. s-vol controls how much the volume goes up as the speed goes up. The higher you set it on the scale, the louder it gets as you go faster (supposedly to compensate for the road noise).

Last edited by asus389; 03-04-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
After reading this your car did not come with bluetooth and you have halogens. Xenons were standard on the 335i, but the on the 325i they are a separate option. There is no special ballast you can buy to make your headlights like your 335i's. However, you can do a halogen to xenon conversion and that can get quite expensive. I am not sure about the satellite radio though.
Also, red thing you are talking about is called the "clown nose" and if you had an alarm installed then it would blink when the car is locked.

Here is my conclusion about your car, it is a bare bones e90. I'm assuming you have no premium package, sport package, or cold weather package. Its as base as you can get. I'm sorry to say this, but you really downgraded yourself by going from a 335i to a 325i.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
s-vol is NOT subwoofer volume, it is the speed sensitive volume. I'm not 100% sure how it works or what the scale means though.
Makes Sense. Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

You're like that guy that goes to a Lakers parade party in a Celtics jersey aren't you?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by respectBMW View Post
After reading this your car did not come with bluetooth and you have halogens. Xenons were standard on the 335i, but the on the 325i they are a separate option. There is no special ballast you can buy to make your headlights like your 335i's. However, you can do a halogen to xenon conversion and that can get quite expensive. I am not sure about the satellite radio though.
Also, red thing you are talking about is called the "clown nose" and if you had an alarm installed then it would blink when the car is locked.

Here is my conclusion about your car, it is a bare bones e90. I'm assuming you have no premium package, sport package, or cold weather package. Its as base as you can get. I'm sorry to say this, but you really downgraded yourself by going from a 335i to a 325i.
I appreciate the answers, I knew I was in for an adjustment when purchasing. The deal was unheard of though. It's a 2006 and only had 4,600 miles. yes not a typo, four thousand six hundred miles. Plus the price I paid was roughly 1/3 the cost of what I paid to get that 335i coupe I had. I do tons of mile and needed something respectable yet fuel efficient. Still don't know if I will settle into this BMW "Civic" of mine but I think I will try a few upgrades to get me some of the options I need (Sirius and some upgraded rims) and if it's not cuttin it I will go back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
if you have sat radio, it will show up in the audio menu, when you hit the audio button it will display tuner, sat, cd and aux. i had put an aftermarket radio in my 06 325 with no problems what so ever call crutchfield they will answer any questions you may have about installing an aftermarket radio, but when i took it to the dealer i had to put the original back in so the could read the codes. i dont know about the mirror adjuster i had self dimming mirrors and wasnt aware that the alarm indicator turned. about the bluetooth, i was under the impression that all e90s had it, there should be a menu to search for devices when you hit the phone button. as for the s-vol, that is speed vol, should go from off to 5 or something, at 5 when you are traveling the volume will increase, and when its of the volume will not increase unless you turn it up manually. let me know if i left anything out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
never thought of my 325i as a "civic", Good luck with the search..........................
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the answers, I knew I was in for an adjustment when purchasing. The deal was unheard of though. It's a 2006 and only had 4,600 miles. yes not a typo, four thousand six hundred miles. Plus the price I paid was roughly 1/3 the cost of what I paid to get that 335i coupe I had. I do tons of mile and needed something respectable yet fuel efficient. Still don't know if I will settle into this BMW "Civic" of mine but I think I will try a few upgrades to get me some of the options I need (Sirius and some upgraded rims) and if it's not cuttin it I will go back to the drawing board.
i understand. We were pretty much in the same situation. I got my 325i privately and it had 48,900 miles on it. However there absolutely no options on it, but we make sacrifices. I was still able to do some things to it though. I did an OEM bluetooth retrofit and I am in the process of doing an OEM halogen to xenon conversion. The next thing on the to do list is to get some OEM 17 or 18 inch rims.
The only package that i really wish my car had was the sport package because the sport seats feel amazing and the sport steering looks nice. Also, sport suspension is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #21
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Try reading the owners manual........
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
MercedesFan1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by respectBMW View Post
i understand. We were pretty much in the same situation. I got my 325i privately and it had 48,900 miles on it. However there absolutely no options on it, but we make sacrifices. I was still able to do some things to it though. I did an OEM bluetooth retrofit and I am in the process of doing an OEM halogen to xenon conversion. The next thing on the to do list is to get some OEM 17 or 18 inch rims.
The only package that i really wish my car had was the sport package because the sport seats feel amazing and the sport steering looks nice. Also, sport suspension is a plus.
Do you have any threads showing your install describing cost and process for the the bluetooth and Xenon conversions?
Appreciate 0