E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What cleaning products to buy?

01-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
rayoflight82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i XDrive

What cleaning products to buy?

Ok, so I just got a BMW and I want to keep it in good condition..
Any suggestions on what type of towels I should use to wash/dry?
And for leather protection?

I KNOW there are threads already created, but I just wanted direct answers for the "average"" BMW owner.. also something that is practical...

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Jkiech
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 X5 N6TU & 05 E46 M3 Comp

Microfiber towels work well....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Autogeek.net and Detailedimage.com

Both have excellent instructional information on how to properly maintain your car and offer a wide variety of auto care products.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Congrats on the new BMW! I'd be happy to help you with your detailing needs. Washing and drying is a critical step, because that is where most swirls come from so good technique and quality products are critical. For washing and drying I'd suggest one of the washing kits we have (see below), each of them contain the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel. This towel is very absorbent and paint safe! I generally wash with either Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge or the DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt. Both are very safe and help ensure the paint is cleaned thoroughly. To make sure you are using good technique for this step and all steps I'd suggest reading our detailing guide.

DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit

For almost any other detailing task I recommend the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. If you want a really thick and plush towel check out the DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel. Both are safe on the paint and do a great job on virtually any other detailing task.

For the leather you can care for it by cleaning and conditioning it a few times a year. Even for new leather I really love the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. It helps keep the leather strong yet soft and flexible. If you want some UV protection check out the 303 Aerospace Protectant or the Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus.

One other step you didn't mention is I'd highly recommend applying a sealant or wax to the paint. It helps protect the surface and enhance the shine. I generally recommend a sealant over a wax because they last so much longer and they are so easy to use. I'd highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger , which looks amazing on all colors and protects for months not weeks.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Also don't forget about the 10% off with the e90post coupon code.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
MatchesMalone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

I'd highly recommend Detailed Image as well. I've had 4 or 5 separate orders from them since getting my 335 about two months ago (I keep reading this forum and finding something else I want to get, it's starting to turn into a problem) and I've been very happy with them.

And as you can see ^^^ they're very helpful.

Just go browse around their site for the current daily/weekly/monthly deals, and you'll be dropping a couple hundred bucks in no time!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

detailed image is awesome. check out the website... they carry great products.
      01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

+1 on Detailed Image.

Detailersdomain.com is very, very good as well. Lots of products, a detaililng forum, and information there.

Autogeek.net also is very good with very good explanations of the products.

Can't go wrong with these three and the packages they offer. They also have different coupons and specials from day to day and week to week. You have to keep an eye on them (keeping in mind how shipping and tax affect you depending on where they are and you live) to see which has the best specials at any given time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

You can't go wrong with DI or DD. Both have great staffs to help you, and this forum has great feedback on all of the products.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
+2 on Detailedimage, very pleasent experience with them and OUTSTANDING products.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
You can't go wrong with DI or DD. Both have great staffs to help you, and this forum has great feedback on all of the products.
Exactly my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

detailedimage.com for 99% of my orders!!!!

their WW drying towel is amazing and very absorbent
Appreciate 0