E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > This dealer needs a new mechanic!

09-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Angry This dealer needs a new mechanic!

Look at this BS!! Saying my BOV caused oil to get into the turbo housing....no way possible. I would say it is a turbo seal, when the car sits it blows out smoke (burnt oil) then all is good...it is not condensation although I am sure a bit is mixed in. But noway in hell is this caused by a charge pipe and BOV, they would know that if they ven investigated it....they found all this out in 30 mins? The real kicker is I have a nissan warranty and they have no issues with the mods so BMW could do whatever work they wanted and get paid LOL!!
Attached Images

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

All this because you couldn't be bothered to take your parts off? You just made their job easy for them, blame the aftermarket parts.

I understand you have a third party warranty but same story.
      09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
All this because you couldn't be bothered to take your parts off? You just made their job easy for them, blame the aftermarket parts.

I understand you have a third party warranty but same story.
they could care less about the mods, 3 of them have tuned cars. I have had 6 injectors replaced, 2 fuel pumps with all the mods on. If you have a BMW warranty yes they care...if they are going to get paid either way they could careless. The problem is not the parts it was not diagnosed right, but I do see what you are saying. If they don't know they will just blame the parts. The title of the thread still stands, if you think a BOV caused oil to get in the turbo you need a new mechanic.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Last edited by robc1976; 09-19-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
All this because you couldn't be bothered to take your parts off?
Don't have the time, my Dad has stage 4 abdominal cancer so that kinda triumphs taking the parts off (I understand why you said it)...hardly had time to to bring the car in. I expect a mechanic know the car better than me...that is what he is paid for.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
Quote:
All this because you couldn't be bothered to take your parts off?
Don't have the time, my Dad has stage 4 abdominal cancer so that kinda triumphs taking the parts off (I understand why you said it)...hardly had time to to bring the car in. I expect a mechanic know the car better than me...that is what he is paid for.
Im sorry to hear that about your father, however you shouldnt have brought the car to the dealer until you had time to demod it, just bring it to an indy shop and have them look at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Im sorry to hear that about your father, however you shouldnt have brought the car to the dealer until you had time to demod it, just bring it to an indy shop and have them look at it.
I agree but I was actually told by this dealer not worry about he mods lol!! I have to agree though that if the CP was not there they could not have blamed this on it. Does everyone here agree that a BOV could not have caused this? I didn't get a chance to talk to the mechanic because he was gone before I got there, will call him in the morning. The thing that is frustrating is I have taken it there 3x now 2X it was condensation wich I know it wasn't but wasn't to bad but it got worse wich leads me to believe turbo seal. I guess it is time to just get RB's and a motor and say screw it lol!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Does everyone here agree that a BOV could not have caused this?
Sorry to hear about this and especially sorry to hear about your dad. I have been on this forum for a good amount of time and as many members run BOV's this would be the first I have ever read about a BOV causing "oil to collect and burn off turbo housing." But like others have mentioned dealerships will look for any reason to blame non OEM parts. However, I would definitely like to hear the mechanic's explanation of this.

Quote:
I guess it is time to just get RB's and a motor and say screw it lol!!
Or check out the Vargas upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
Sorry to hear about this and especially sorry to hear about your dad. I have been on this forum for a good amount of time and as many members run BOV's this would be the first I have ever read about a BOV causing "oil to collect and burn off turbo housing." But like others have mentioned dealerships will look for any reason to blame non OEM parts. However, I would definitely like to hear the mechanic's explanation of this.

Or check out the Vargas upgrades.
i am calling him today and I am going to get a exact answer. Yeah, this car is me and my Dads project.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Are you talking about smoke out the tailpipe or smoking from the engine bay?

The dealer invoice indicates smoking from the engine bay area - not the tailpipes.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Are you talking about smoke out the tailpipe or smoking from the engine bay?

The dealer invoice indicates smoking from the engine bay area - not the tailpipes.

yeah I know lo!! This is the 3rd time I have been there and I told them there is smoke coming from the right exhaust, only does it on warm up (sometimes at the stop light) an does not doe this while driving. 1st & 2nd time they stated it was condensation (never seen blue condensation ) I also stated a bit of smoke coming from the lefts side of the motor exactly where the turbo is...this possibly could be a valve cover leak. So this technician found all of this out by looking at my car for 30 mins, he had to take the strutt bar off and hannaman lip he stated, guess what it was not taken off and least the lip was not that I know. He may have taken the strutt brace and engine cover off but that is it. Going to call him in a few and get a exact reason for his BS therory.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

A little mis-understanding between you too. When you said; left side of the engine where the turbos are. The turbos are in the right side of the engine. When you are going to talk about right or left, you say it from the drivers prospective.

So basically, he forgot you said turbos side and only went for the left side. Only thing on the left side are the BOVs.
      09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
A little mis-understanding between you too. When you said; left side of the engine where the turbos are. The turbos are in the right side of the engine. When you are going to talk about right or left, you say it from the drivers prospective.

So basically, he forgot you said turbos side and only went for the left side. Only thing on the left side are the BOVs.
Left side is the turbo side (when looking at the car) wich is how the service advisor goes by so I stated "turbo side", I agree that it should be from the drivers prospective but didn't feel like arguing with him lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Talked to one of the mechanics (waiting to talk to the one that worked on my car). He stated he has NEVER heard of a turbo seal going out on a BMW? He then said "BMW" makes these turbos strong.....uh....I said they are made by Mitsubishi???? He became totally silent and said he would have the mechanic that worked on my car call me....I am surprised they even noticed the aftermarket parts lol!!

Last edited by robc1976; 09-20-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Either there is a miss communication or laziness.

Cause if they can blame it on aftermarket parts they likely would as this job probably requires them to remove the turbo's and replace them, assuming your turbo's are shot. Since they weren't sure if that would fix it, or didnt want to take the extended hours to diagnose, unsure if they would get replacement parts paid for from the warranty company, they likely just pushed the blame on you.

That's my theory given that I dont have both sides of the story, yet.

I know if anything I would take all aftermarket parts if I'm looking for warranty work, especially on big job's like turbo's.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

I do have a new check valve but has a busted bottom clip (they didn't notice that either) but I doubt this is causing the smoke issue. I also ave the upgraded RB PCV valve.

Last edited by robc1976; 09-20-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

Cause if they can blame it on aftermarket parts they likely would as this job probably requires them to remove the turbo's and replace them, assuming your turbo's are shot. Since they weren't sure if that would fix it, or didnt want to take the extended hours to diagnose, unsure if they would get replacement parts paid for from the warranty company, they likely just pushed the blame on you.

I know if anything I would take all aftermarket parts if I'm looking for warranty work, especially on big job's like turbo's.
It is honestly what I believe to, I dropped my car off...they had it for 2 days and worked on it for a 1/2 hour....BTW I get my car and has to be jumped, battery is dead.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Talked to one of the mechanics (waiting to talk to the one that worked on my car). He stated he has NEVER heard of a turbo seal going out on a BMW? He then said "BMW" makes these turbos strong.....uh....I said they are made by Mitsubishi???? He became totally silent and aid he would have the mechanic that worked on my car call me....I am surprised they even noticed the aftermarket parts lol!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

also Jeff, this would not be BMW paying for this, it would be my 3rd party warranty (they okay anything on the spot...I had 1 bad injector and they actually suggested replacing all 6 lol!!)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
also Jeff, this would not be BMW paying for this, it would be my 3rd party warranty (they okay anything on the spot...I had 1 bad injector and they actually suggested replacing all 6 lol!!)
That sounds like a pretty good warranty? Care to drop the name of the company?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
That sounds like a pretty good warranty? Care to drop the name of the company?
It is a Nissan quality guard plus, they not even ask questions...just pay for what ever.....very hassle free.
Appreciate 0