E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FUEL TANK LEAK---'07 335i factory issue? Anyone had this problem???

09-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
ZondaF355
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport Coupe 6MT

FUEL TANK LEAK---'07 335i factory issue? Anyone had this problem???

Ok this is the craziest thing I have had happen to a car. Long story short I was fueling up with 111 octane fuel and at about 5 gallons noticed gas running out of the bottom of my car! So I stopped, called BMW, all they said is that I overfilled it, which wasnt possible being that I had maybe a total of 7 gallons in the tank before the 111 octane FLOOD. So i ended up towing it to the shop that does my tuning and we put in up on the rack. After 20 minutes of CSI style investigation we could not figure out what had happened. There is a GOLFBALL size hole in my fuel tank. It is on the driveshaft side of the tank about halfway up and appears and feels to be CUT with a sawzaw. Being that this wuld be near impossible, we did some more looking only to find out that the driveshaft had a wear mark approx. 6" long and was showing whiteish rubbing and scrape marks. So our final explanation and only reasonable one is that one of the vents in the tank malfunctioned causing the tank to SWELL. Once the tank swelled and through in alot of powerslides and donuts, the tank shifted. Once shifted and swelled it made contact with the driveshaft. And the rest was history. It absolutley shredded a huge hole in the tank and I never heard anything or felt vibarations...nothing. Has anyone ever heard or experienced this issue? Do you thing this is a manufacturers problem?