E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > JB4 Update

08-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
JB4 Update

For anyone that hasn't seen it yet there is a new 7/22(22/7) Firmware update.

Probably my fav yet. It spools up massively faster. Getting a lot closer to stock smoothness unlike 5/23 which felt closer to old school 80s 90s boosting.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Wow really? I did one back in about May - so this one is a July update?

I am off to the Ring on saturday so it sounds like I NEED this!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yep, confusing yanks with there back to front dates!

There was a 23rd May release 5/23 (FW only)

then a 23rd June release 6/23 (FW and UI)

now a 22nd July issue 7/22 (FW only)

+1 5/23 (23rd May) was very brutal, hard to modulate properly, but I was getting a solid 17psi of boost on Vpower and a cool, clear summer morning, flippin flyin!. (although this issue rasied the max boost target was to 17psi on map 5, terry had forgotten to raise the boost cut limit from 17 to 18, this means you wouldn't get 17, so you need to increase the boost limit to 18 yourself)

I've got 7/22 (22nd July) on my laptop ready to load up, just not done it yet!

Glad to hear it spools up quicker, i'm getting my DPs put back on next week too......

Last edited by doughboy; 08-14-2012 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You know I actually didn't mind the May map (which is what I am still running) and I have noticed the biggest improvements to linearity and spool came after adding the intercooler and DP's, so if the new JB4 update improves that even more I will be very happy.

Are you saying that Terry has now corrected the 18psi boost limit? I had wondered why I never hit 17psi (I've not changed anything manually) and had always put it down to warm weather and my inconsistent use of V-Power/FuelSave depending on what I would be doing the following week. If so, I guess I have yet more fun to come with the new map. Perhaps this also explains why I didn't find it overly agressive?

It's now sat on my laptop ready to apply later as well. I'm looking forward to it!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I need to get involved in the JB4 fun and games I think!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I try to keep up with the updates so you have experienced the last 4. Agree 5/23 was/is brutal and i was get at least 1psi more than the previous FW update but wasn't as pleasant to drive.

The new one seems to spool very very quickly. I find town driving, which is where i spend most of my time, at lot easier.

The 5/23 spool lag is very noticeable around town. e.g. if you pottering along at 25-35mph in 3rd i would notice approx 1 second of lag whereas now it feel about half that.

RagingKileak - I would recommend you get it on I ran 5/23 @ the ring a couple of months ago and even though there was a noticeable spool delay it worked pretty well there if you are 'ring'in' :-) the neck of it! BUT i definatly had a few instances where i could notice the delay especially some of the slower 3rd gear corners. You notice you don't get the instant drive you would expect so try 2nd gear which is of course too high a gear..... so maybe 7/22 is the solution.

+ If you take you laptop you can have both Hex's on there and try both to see which is better for the track!!!

Im going back out next June. :-) can't wait.
8:14 incase you didn't read my write up a couple of months ago
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
I need to get involved in the JB4 fun and games I think!
A non mapped/JB4'd 335i is a zzzz-fest! lol. But seriously when i take the jb4 off for servicing and repairs etc its like a completely different car, such is the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
You know I actually didn't mind the May map (which is what I am still running) and I have noticed the biggest improvements to linearity and spool came after adding the intercooler and DP's, so if the new JB4 update improves that even more I will be very happy.

Matt
No doubt your experience is different to mine, as i don't have DP's or upgraded intercooler which i bet make a HUGE difference to the lag. But i would imagine that yours should feel like instant boost with the new FW update and those mods.

How do you find your car on Shell fuel save?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAnt335i View Post
A non mapped/JB4'd 335i is a zzzz-fest! lol. But seriously when i take the jb4 off for servicing and repairs etc its like a completely different car, such is the difference.
How easy is it to remove the JB4 and would it be noticeable by a dealer if they looked? My car is under warranty and I am most likely going to renew it this year but I don't want to be knocked back by the dealer for warranty claims (if any) because of a remap.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I have only recently fitted the hardware mods you see.

So basically I ran the 23/5 FW for probably a full month, then put the DP's on, then maybe 2 weeks later the intercooler, then maybe another week after that (last Tuesday) I fitted the downpipes. I had plenty of time to experience lag with the 23/5 map and I didn't find it too bad, so I guess what I am saying is that the car should feel epic now with the mods as well.

As for shell Fuel Save, I always run map 5 and to be honest it feels fine. There is no poor running or lumpiness etc, so I have never for a second 'worried' that I was doing the car harm. It's undoubtedly quicker after a mile or two following a top up with V-Power though, which I guess is the map adapting rather than the 'raw' difference that the extra octane makes.

The problem I have is that I get a work fuel card and am not allowed to fill up with premium, so when I do it's my own money I am spending.

When we head to the Ring, I will be filling up in the UK at the last garage with standard fuel (I don't think the last one at Maidstone is a Shell so even FuelSave won't be an option) and then once that runs out (probably around about as we enter Germany, I will be topping up with premium. I also have 5 litres of a decent +8 octane boost which I plan to split between two tanks on the actual day of the track day. Might help, might not.

Pace is not the issue to be honest lol!!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
How easy is it to remove the JB4 and would it be noticeable by a dealer if they looked? My car is under warranty and I am most likely going to renew it this year but I don't want to be knocked back by the dealer for warranty claims (if any) because of a remap.
It's a good hour (at least) to fit or remove it to be honest.

BUT you can just set the JB4 to 'map 0' which is basically a passthrough. Because your cars ECU file has not been changed, it's very tough for BMW to tell that there is anything untoward going on, unless they either know about how to play with a JB4 OR they happen to open the ECU compartment (unlikely.)

What I would say is.... If you have a MAJOR problem (like a turbo blown) then you would want to invest the hour in removing the JB4, but if you have a minor issue like an exhaust bracket breaking something else more or less unrelated, just set it to map 0 and take it in.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine is also under warranty and since January i have had no less than 8 warranty claims. Including; Coil pack, o2 sensors, battery, brake sensors and replacing the wastegates and linkages. So i have had no issues with claims. I can easily take it off in less that 20mins now and put it back together in 25mins, so always take it off before going it Thats without rushing.
Infact the time before last started miss-firing and went into limp home mode and i removed the JB4 road side in about 15mins as i didnt know how long it would be before BMW showed up :-)

Last edited by DarkAnt335i; 08-14-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Matt

Ahh fair enough with the fuel card. I have only ever had to run Fuel save over V power twice. No problems with the car but definitely notice the lack of urgency and power. Also and obviously its not accurate as i didn't do the same journeys but both times i got less miles to the tank. Approx 20miles less. I might have another go to see if i notice the difference now.

I always take the nice scenic drive down the 'mountain' so i can get a healthy dose of the 102 octane straight from the pump. IIRC the local fuelling station only does 98 ocatne. Obviously not always ideal during a track day but if you can get half a tank at a time worth it a think. :-)

Defiantly interested to hear you views on the latest map with your mods. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Matt on a completely separate non car related note. I just clicked on the link in your sig and noticed you have the Onkyo 609?
Do you still have it and if so what you think and what speakers is it powering?
Also did you exclusively use the set up mic to do the speaker calibration? As i found it wasn't very accurate and needed a Db metre to get it right, especially for the centre distance/volume.

Last edited by DarkAnt335i; 08-14-2012 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAnt335i View Post
Mine is also under warranty and since January i have had no less than 8 warranty claims. Including; Coil pack, o2 sensors, battery, brake sensors and replacing the wastegates and linkages. So i have had no issues with claims. I can easily take it off in less that 20mins now and put it back together in 25mins, so always take it off before going it Thats without rushing.
Infact the time before last started miss-firing and went into limp home mode and i removed the JB4 road side in about 15mins as i didnt know how long it would be before BMW showed up :-)
Good to hear you can switch it to map 0 or remove it relatively quickly if required. However could they still not interrogate the standard ECU and see that you were running at much higher boost than standard? I guess judging by your experiences they don't bother.

Hmm one less reason not to have a remap!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to hear you can switch it to map 0 or remove it relatively quickly if required. However could they still not interrogate the standard ECU and see that you were running at much higher boost than standard? I guess judging by your experiences they don't bother.

Too be honest i don't know for sure if it is or isn't possible, with a piggyback. I just take it off and hope for the best. I would guess that if they really wanted to they could find out, if for e.g. i need the whole engine replaced and they were looking for a way out of it.

Mine also has other clearly visible mods but the dealership don't seem to mind, i assume that as long as its an easier part to expense BMW UK for the part and labour they don't really care. They get to charge their silly per/hr rates straight to BMW UK as far as i know, probably completing each job in 2/3rds of the time quoted.

Purely speculation though, i just know i haven't been question yet and i've had it on from the first week of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:

The whole idea with the piggy back (JB4) is that the ECU knows nothing about it.

The ECU still gets standard boost and timing and fueling information corresponding to it standard instructions.

The JB4 intercepts these commands, changes then, but then decreases the feedback accordingly so the ECU thinks all is hunky dory.

So simplisticly the ECU asks for 10psi boost, JB4 intercepts this and requests 17psi of boost, but then the JB4 intercepts the actual boost pressure signal and reduces it back to 10psi so the ECU thinks it is asking for, and getting 10psi.

Of course it also does this for timing and fueling as well, continuously.

clever shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
clever shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak
Well, I have only recently fitted the hardware mods you see.

So basically I ran the 23/5 FW for probably a full month, then put the DP's on, then maybe 2 weeks later the intercooler, then maybe another week after that (last Tuesday) I fitted the downpipes. I had plenty of time to experience lag with the 23/5 map and I didn't find it too bad, so I guess what I am saying is that the car should feel epic now with the mods as well.

As for shell Fuel Save, I always run map 5 and to be honest it feels fine. There is no poor running or lumpiness etc, so I have never for a second 'worried' that I was doing the car harm. It's undoubtedly quicker after a mile or two following a top up with V-Power though, which I guess is the map adapting rather than the 'raw' difference that the extra octane makes.

The problem I have is that I get a work fuel card and am not allowed to fill up with premium, so when I do it's my own money I am spending.

When we head to the Ring, I will be filling up in the UK at the last garage with standard fuel (I don't think the last one at Maidstone is a Shell so even FuelSave won't be an option) and then once that runs out (probably around about as we enter Germany, I will be topping up with premium. I also have 5 litres of a decent +8 octane boost which I plan to split between two tanks on the actual day of the track day. Might help, might not.

Pace is not the issue to be honest lol!!!

Matt
Don't forget map 5 is now suitable for e85. You could pick some up in France/Germany.

Some silly power being made on 50:50 mix...
      08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Are you saying that Terry has now corrected the 18psi boost limit? I had wondered why I never hit 17psi (I've not changed anything manually) and had always put it down to warm weather and my inconsistent use of V-Power/FuelSave depending on what I would be doing the following week. If so, I guess I have yet more fun to come with the new map. Perhaps this also explains why I didn't find it overly agressive?

It's now sat on my laptop ready to apply later as well. I'm looking forward to it!

Matt
No terry hasn't upped the boost limit in the interface you still have to do this manually.

If you dont do this and hit over 17psi jb4 shuts down. I.e. stock psi until you restart the car.. When you are WOT this feels like something went bang - ask me how I know!
      08-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well first impressions are that it feels much more smooth as people have said. A lovely, lovely drive now.

Phil thanks for the info. I'll leave the boost limits as they are I think.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well first impressions are that it feels much more smooth as people have said. A lovely, lovely drive now.

Phil thanks for the info. I'll leave the boost limits as they are I think.

Matt
I'm saying you need to up the boost limit - otherwise that'll happen.