E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Key doesn't work?

01-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
razer8724
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C55 AMG

Key doesn't work?

Hey everyone, I also posted this in the DIY/Maintainence section since I didn't know where it was supposed to go! After installing my tvandnav2go unit for the 2nd time (and being successful this time!) I came across a small problem. Mid-way between the install, my key stopped working. I have comfort access so I generally never put the key fob in the slot but I had to today. All the buttons on the remote would not work as well, so I couldn't lock, unlock, or pop the trunk with either of my two key fobs. The only way I can lock the car is using the manual key on the drivers side and can only drive the car by inserting it into the key slot. I have an 08 E92 335 xi if it makes any difference. Anyone have a solution to this? I read some past threads and I don't think its the actuator or anything since it doesn't make any noise and the keys dont work at ALL on either side. Any help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
razer8724
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C55 AMG

Problem solved! I un-installed the entire unit to see if that was the cause. After seeing that it was, I carefully re-traced my steps and re-installed the unit except this time I used the cigarette power as the ACC power. My tvandnav2go unit only came with a black ground wire and red ACC wire, no yellow wire as indicated on the original DIY. So for anyone experiencing this problem with a similar installation, check your mini fuse taps or change the power source! Also, tapping from the fuse box almost killed my entire battery so be careful to make sure your box is powered off (green light is off) after you lock the car and leave!
Appreciate 0