E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Pls help CIC "Format Unreadable"

05-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
Dave320d
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Pls help CIC "Format Unreadable"

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone has addressed the issue of playing DVDs in the CIC. After inserting the DVD into the drive it writes "" Unreadable format "and what I found so I have to change region code from 0 to 1 or vice versa but I do not know where, so I wanted to ask if someone would not think how to and where the region Can change.

Thank you for your help
Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009-335D Pack M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave320d View Post
Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone has addressed the issue of playing DVDs in the CIC. After inserting the DVD into the drive it writes "" Unreadable format "and what I found so I have to change region code from 0 to 1 or vice versa but I do not know where, so I wanted to ask if someone would not think how to and where the region Can change.

Thank you for your help
Dave
To reset the counter to 0 of your DvD region change code? So from another thread and thanks to him:
Using a D-Can or ICOM (choose OBD_ab625) with Tool32 (German):

tool32 cicr STEUERN_INITIALISATION_COUNTER_REGION_CODE

info: name : STEUERN_INITIALISATION_COUNTER_REGION_CODE
comment : Initialize (or reinitialize) to 0 the value of the change counter for the DVD region code.

result : JOB_STATUS
type : string
comment : "OKAY", wenn fehlerfrei

result : _REQUEST
type : data
comment : Hex-Auftrag an SG

result : _TEL_ANTWORT
type : data
comment : Hex-Antwort von SG

If you only need to change: Google unless you find with Tool32 knowing the german language.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Dave320d
Rep

Hello, thanks for your help and info. But I have a Tool32 but I'm a beginner and I do not know what and how to choose and what to do next, nothing at all, so I wanted to ask if someone would write to me the exact steps to do it. I'm sorry but I'm learning a beginner.
I know that I read somewhere on the net saying that if you insert "DVD Format Unreadable" so you just change somewhere region and DVD will play.

Thank you for your help
Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so start from the beginning that is reading what you have:
assuming that it is a factory fitted CiC start NCS Expert and read your VO in CAS and THEN in FRM (or NFRM automatically chosen by NCS) on EACH step save your FSW PSW trace file (next you will read in them with Notepad)
While reading the CAS and the NFRM what are the FA displayed above ?
Most of the FA meanings:
$697A Area-Code 1 for DVD -> is north America
$698A Area-Code 2 for DVD -> is Europe
$699A Area-Code 3 for DVD -> is Asia
(options codes are up to $702A for 4-5-6)
See in Wikipedia typing in google ''DvD area code list''
Note that some DvDs have an another shit, the RCE (regional coding enhancement)
Well see what you need and what are in your trace file, open and search for AREA_CODE_DVD.
If you need to change the number, see in google ''NCS Expert changing VO'' or ''FA write'', step by step sample:
http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-...vehicle-order/

Can't try it as my car goes to the dealer for at least 10 days to be repaired.

Last edited by Pierre26; 05-29-2017 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Dave320d
Rep

Hello, thank you for your help and for the information regarding my problem, but I have a little lost in it. So I have to make a change in Tool32 or NCS Expert? Probably it will be annoying for you but I needed to advise what to open, where to open, where to change what Job name, where to click, just step by step if you understand me.

Regarding the program, I have Tool32, version 4.0.3. - English version, NCS Expert, version 4.0.1. And I still have NCS Dummy version 0.6.0.7. For an overview of what to use.

Thanks Dave

Last edited by Dave320d; 05-29-2017 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

Shortly: Reset to 0 DvD code area = Tool32 - Changing of code area = NCS.
Each one has a step by step so read try and report.
If you have some fear begin with NCS, no risk of brick.
With Tool32 follow exactly what is said before sending a command if you use it with DCan cable instead of Icom. (eg: flashing with Dcan will take a while with high risk of error, then brick the CiC and you will need Icom to possibly recover it).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Dave320d
Rep

Ok, thanks for the explanation now i know so Tool32 for Recovery and NCS to change the code. Thank you once again for your explanation. Yes I will try and write what I came across and where the problem was. Meanwhile, I know somehow the beginning of the procedure and it's like this:
Opening NCS expert - Load profile - expertmode - FG / ZCS / FA - ZCS / FA f.ECU - E89 - and now I do not know what to choose - CAS, FRM or NFRM? Then it should be chosen - Process ECU - and here I am somehow finished, what to choose? CIC?

I understand that I'm a little bit annoyed by such basic things but I have to start somewhere. I was looking for more info on the internet but I did not find anything, certainly some help would help me as well as other BMW owners as they will find more questions on the Internet asking where to do this. So the guideline would fit for others. Surely you have a lot of experience with it and maybe make a short video about how to change the region code would certainly not be a problem for you, so if I could ask you both for yourself and for others if you did it.

Thanks for the help
Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave320d View Post
Ok, thanks for the explanation now i know so Tool32 for Recovery and NCS to change the code. Thank you once again for your explanation. Yes I will try and write what I came across and where the problem was. Meanwhile, I know somehow the beginning of the procedure and it's like this:
Opening NCS expert - Load profile - expertmode -Password = repxet- FG / ZCS / FA - ZCS / FA f.ECU - E89 - and now I do not know what to choose -first read your ECU (CAS/FRM) and you will know (Liesen)- CAS, FRM or NFRM?known after you red ECU, if not NCS will tell you error so choose the other (NFRM if you have a CiC car) Then it should be chosen - Process ECU - NO first choose the job before processand here I am somehow finished, what to choose? CIC?Why ? when it is NFRM
Here only need to highlight yours FA/VO showed after your ViN, these are $xxxA and gave you those about area code DvD, if wrong double clic on it in the column to delete it, to add type the $number and clic add. Then with your new FA go to CAS then NFRM to code these 2 ECU (SG Codieren) Right ?

I understand that I'm a little bit annoyed by such basic things but I have to start somewhere. I was looking for more info on the internet but I did not find anything, certainly some help would help me as well as other BMW owners as they will find more questions on the Internet asking where to do this. So the guideline would fit for others. Surely you have a lot of experience with it and maybe make a short video about how to change the region code would certainly not be a problem for you, so if I could ask you both for yourself and for others if you did it.

Thanks for the help
Dave
in Text.

Last edited by Pierre26; 05-31-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Dave320d
Rep

Hi, thank you for the info I will try and see where I will go according to your instructions. I've been thinking about it yet, I see you're doing pretty well, and you're probably a great expert, so I kind of want you to ask if TeamViewer can help us deal with time and day and you'd be remotely connected to My laptop and I would connect it with a diagnostic cable attached to my car and you would change my region code. I know it's a big pleasure, but you're a smoker and you should be in a few minutes and I'd see how it's done.
Do you think I could ask you to have such an option?

Thank you, Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #10
Pierre26
Private First Class
Rep

Ctrl+P = print once the FA is opened, you have ALL the steps for that !
Take some time first to try and then report back if you met problem but I don't think as it is quite simple.
Don't have enough time and don't have TViewer, last way is to ask a local coder near you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Changing VO in CAS.pdf (1.56 MB, 253 views)
Appreciate 0