E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Xdrive suspension/wheel alignment DIY questions

08-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
l8nit3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328XI

Garage List
Back again E90 fam!

This time I'm being smart enough to ask questions BEFORE diving in and ending up in a predicament

First, info:
-2011 E90 328i Xdrive
-vin: NN85977
-odo: 160k+
-mods: Xdelete AWD to RWD mod
-software available: I have and am familiar with BMW standard tools, as well as both versions of ista and a bimmergeeks obd2 cable, I assume these are useless in this case.
-Issues: none yet, give me some time lol

I am looking at doing some preventive maintenance to my suspension with upgraded parts (likely whatever M parts fit), as I don't believe bushings or anything have ever been replaced and I would prefer to just rebuild new as much as possible. I plan to get every last km I can out of my E90

I've found multiple levels of 'refresh' kits online on turnermotorsports and ECStuning, however realize after doing anything more then direct OEM swap will require an alignment. (And should even with OEM due to age of car)
After searching this and other forums I've found DIY methods using string or laser levels and have some questions.

1- how large of a factor is 'active steering' for this job?
2- how do I ensure I do/don't have 'active steering'?
3- how large of a factor is Xdrive?
4- should just be searching Xdrive specific tutorials?
5- is it possible to simply buy the... I guess scanner... that shops use to get those clean and detailed printouts? (Under 1-2000$ cad)
6-is there some secret, or unknown caveat that a noob like me hasn't even thought of yet?

Any additional light that could be shed on these questions would be Incredibly appreciated

Last edited by l8nit3; 08-20-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0