E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > usb-iPod (6FL) Poll

View Poll Results: when taking delivery did your car come with the 6FL iPod cable?
YES!! 12 34.29%
No. 23 65.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

04-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #45
MIKEHUNTSKI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Sparkling Graphite

Any reason why everyone can't just use the AUX in until the cable shows up? Or turn off the tunes and listen to the engine, that is what you really spent the money for . . . .

As DAYA smartly points out: "I am not going to let this little detail spoil my first BMW experience"
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #46
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
I've also personally ordered 5 (ie I am going to pay for them out of pocket) so that the second the freeze gets cleared I'll have some on the way to me.
Great. You'll eat up all the stock and I won't get mine.

I think you're misunderstanding to some degree, the reason people like me are so upset by this. It is just a little cable, and only effects the use of one little audio option, right? And we all understand that, nor has it dimished my joy of all the other gadgets to play with, etc. It is a matter of expectation and disappointment.

You have to at least admit that the drooling morons at BMWNA totally screwed the pooch on this. The goal should be absolutely NO negative aspect to the delivery experience for the customer. Not having the cable for 6FL forces us to obsess on it... and no information or ETA makes it even worse.

I don't hold my CA or GM responsible at all, but I do expect them to be doing everything they can to help - and to forward on that customers are dissatisfied. That is their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
I am picking up Adriana tomorrow

I just got off the phone with my CA and he confirmed the cables do not come with the car and they are on national backorder, but my name is on the list for the cables once they come in.

Oh well, I am happy that I had a march production and was able to get the factory installed option as opposed to the dealer installed option.

I am not going to let this little detail spoil my first BMW experience

Good things come to those who wait

It's nice to see you all Zen about it. I am too for the most part - except when I'm involved in these threads and I start thinking about the stupidity of it.

It's just a shame, because you shouldn't have to wait.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #47
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHUNTSKI View Post
Any reason why everyone can't just use the AUX in until the cable shows up? Or turn off the tunes and listen to the engine, that is what you really spent the money for . . . .

As DAYA amartly points out: "I am not going to let this little detail spoil my first BMW experience"

See that tiny spec moving high above your head? Yeah, that one. It is the point that we're making. It's okay that you don't get it - but you should keep that to yourself.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #48
MIKEHUNTSKI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Sparkling Graphite

Zep,

I have always thought that your comments have been very helpful and on point, until this issue. I know that it is probably the excitment that your car is almost here that has gotten you a little too excited. I just hope that you are not angry enough to let your ipod not plugging in the way you expected (especially when there is a simple temporary solution) ruin your experience.

Or maybe you could understand me better if I say: I am not DAZED AND CONFUSED about this situation. In GOOD TIMES, BAD TIMES I try not to RAMBLE ON like a FOOL IN THE RAIN especially if THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME. With you car on THE OCEAN and you yearning to BRING IT ON HOME take a break have a TANGERINE with your SUGAR MAMA, DOWN BY THE SEASIDE and HUSH LITTLE BABY, YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #49
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME.

That was a hot tune, we used to jam it in college, Always the same, playin' your game, Drive me insane, trouble is gonna come to you.

Sure, why not use the Aux in, it's more than good enough. And if need be, at a stoplight, pick up the iPod with one's bare hands, and select the tune with the click wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
Sorry, I do not think it is asking too much for the CA to check to be sure that what the customer wants (and pays for) that the customer gets. For $58K and a 12 week availability I expect them to make the buying experience enjoyable and to make sure that my requests are met.

BTW the requests I have made have all been learnings from various threads in this forum. When I asked the CA if he knew that they had to order the 6FL cables separately he said "oh yeah ?". Really surprises me that we (the customers) have to tell them what's going on. But you know what - it's like this with everything not just your new BMW.

By the way I do not care how he checks to make sure that the car ships with the oil cooler - that's his problem. If he has to go to Munich to find out I hope he has god weather !! All I know is that I expect everything to be there when I come to pick it up.
You have a keen sense of entitlement for 58k and 12 weeks. I can't imagine what your expectations are when you buy a home for a million dollars and wait 10 mos for it to be completed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #51
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Zep,

I have always thought that your comments have been very helpful and on point, until this issue. I know that it is probably the excitment that your car is almost here that has gotten you a little too excited. I just hope that you are not angry enough to let your ipod not plugging in the way you expected (especially when there is a simple temporary solution) ruin your experience.

Or maybe you could understand me better if I say: I am not DAZED AND CONFUSED about this situation. In GOOD TIMES, BAD TIMES I try not to RAMBLE ON like a FOOL IN THE RAIN especially if THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME. With you car on THE OCEAN and you yearning to BRING IT ON HOME take a break have a TANGERINE with your SUGAR MAMA, DOWN BY THE SEASIDE and HUSH LITTLE BABY, YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME.

Nice job!!!

No, really I'm fine - but it does piss me off that they are so negligent with this. Honestly, the people I really feel bad for are the ones who are not on this forum, and might not even know they're supposed to get a cable. Think their dealer will tell them? Doubt it.

Let's face it, without the cable it has the same functionality as the old AUX port.

I think we just have a COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN. But, I suppose it's NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #52
wdogan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sedan (as of 4/18)

I sent my CA an email asking whether the adapter cable would be available when I pick up the car sometime next week. CA had the day off, but wrote back and suggested I check directly with the parts department.

I called the parts department, they knew immediately which part I was asking about. They took my name and assured me that there would be a cable "set aside and waiting for" me when I pick up the car next week. Assuming they actually live up to this commitment, this feels like an OK experience -- but only because everyone on here let me know I needed to make this phone call. It is strange that they wouldn't AUTOMATICALLY set aside cables for pre-sold cars arriving with the 6FL option. Oh, well.

Now I just have to wait another 10 days or so for the **** car to arrive! Thanks everyone for the heads-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post

Nice job!!!

No, really I'm fine - but it does piss me off that they are so negligent with this. Honestly, the people I really feel bad for are the ones who are not on this forum, and might not even know they're supposed to get a cable. Think their dealer will tell them? Doubt it.

Let's face it, without the cable it has the same functionality as the old AUX port.

I think we just have a COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN. But, I suppose it's NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #53
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That was a hot tune, we used to jam it in college, Always the same, playin' your game, Drive me insane, trouble is gonna come to you.

Sure, why not use the Aux in, it's more than good enough. And if need be, at a stoplight, pick up the iPod with one's bare hands, and select the tune with the click wheel.
Indeed (about the Zep tune).

With all due respect, what you're saying like telling someone who's comfort access isn't working on delivery "just use your key". Of course it is true and viable from a practical perspective - but it is an option that cost money. The money was collected on delivery. The option should be whole and functioning.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #54
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdogan View Post
I sent my CA an email asking whether the adapter cable would be available when I pick up the car sometime next week. CA had the day off, but wrote back and suggested I check directly with the parts department.

I called the parts department, they knew immediately which part I was asking about. They took my name and assured me that there would be a cable "set aside and waiting for" me when I pick up the car next week. Assuming they actually live up to this commitment, this feels like an OK experience -- but only because everyone on here let me know I needed to make this phone call. It is strange that they wouldn't AUTOMATICALLY set aside cables for pre-sold cars arriving with the 6FL option. Oh, well.

Now I just have to wait another 10 days or so for the **** car to arrive! Thanks everyone for the heads-up!

When I picked up my car, they had no black OEM mats which were included for free. They gave me a "WE OWE" slip and it in no way detracted from my delivery experience. The big deal people are making out of a cable is simply extraordinary. They don't have it on your day of delivery, they will get it to you ASAP. Once in a while in life, one should believe in a reasonable outcome. Can't imagine how some of the folks here would deal with real day-to-day issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #55
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Indeed (about the Zep tune).

With all due respect, what you're saying like telling someone who's comfort access isn't working on delivery "just use your key". Of course it is true and viable from a practical perspective - but it is an option that cost money. The money was collected on delivery. The option should be whole and functioning.
If something is out-of-stock, they have a "WE OWE" slip to let you and the dealership know that something is owed the customer. Your example with comfort access isn't the same, it's an integral system of the vehicle. The lack of a cable is more along the lines of an accessory being out of stock. People here implying they'll refuse to pick up their cars or they should be upgraded from a 328 to a 335 for their inconvenience is just plain silly.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #56
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
When I picked up my car, they had no black OEM mats which were included for free. They gave me a "WE OWE" slip and it in no way detracted from my delivery experience. The big deal people are making out of a cable is simply extraordinary. They don't have it on your day of delivery, they will get it to you ASAP. Once in a while in life, one should believe in a reasonable outcome. Can't imagine how some of the folks here would deal with real day-to-day issues.
your point does NOT make sense? you are comparing FREE mats, that they don't have to give to you.....to a $400 option that is paid for at delivery but not given to until who knows when.

hey i understand things go out of stock, but don't charge me FULL price until I receive it. lets apply some logic to our responses.

Zep i am right with ya buddy, if i don't receive my cable at delivery in the next couple of days i am going to be fired up!

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #57
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If something is out-of-stock, they have a "WE OWE" slip to let you and the dealership know that something is owed the customer. Your example with comfort access isn't the same, it's an integral system of the vehicle. The lack of a cable is more along the lines of an accessory being out of stock. People here implying they'll refuse to pick up their cars or they should be upgraded from a 328 to a 335 for their inconvenience is just plain silly.
John, first of all, it is exactly the same. 6FL is a factory installed option, which includes said cable. Due to logistical poor planning, owners are having to wait for the part after delivery. This should not be so. This isn't like we said "oh, and throw in the iPod thing too" when we went to pick up the car.

I haven't seen the posts you're referring to, where people are saying they'll refuse delivery (though I don't doubt they exist). Even by my standards that's just silly. Having said that, some sort of compensatory gift would be in order - say something from the accessories or lifestyle catalogs.

I checked in with the parts counter today, just to see if they were being given an ETA. Still no word, but the lady I deal with there even said "This is just stupid that these were not included from the factory. People shouldn't have to wait for them." I also made sure she understands that although I'm a bit annoyed with BMW over the fiasco, it has nothing to do with the dealership and I'm not annoyed with them. They are doing what they can, and that is all that can be asked.

Perhaps you are just of a different personality type, which is fine and dandy, but I've been looking forward to using this option since I placed my order on February 2. If you don't understand on any level why that is disappointing, then you should be driving a used pickup truck because clearly a vehicle is only transportation for you.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #58
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post

Zep i am right with ya buddy, if i don't receive my cable at delivery in the next couple of days i am going to be fired up!
Matt - have you contacted your dealership to ask them to try and get the cable for you? Can't hurt... at least then they will have one on order. Because we are the first batch of cars with this new option, don't be surprised if the dealer doesn't know as much about it as we do.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #59
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Matt - have you contacted your dealership to ask them to try and get the cable for you? Can't hurt... at least then they will have one on order. Because we are the first batch of cars with this new option, don't be surprised if the dealer doesn't know as much about it as we do.
oh i did, right after you spread the bad news. i ordered my car on 1/6 and already told him about this option. i knew it was coming out, heard rumors. i told him this was one of the most important options i wanted as i can't live without my iPod. not a Sat or HD radio fan.

unfortunately he gave me the same BS. he told me the parts guys have it on order and i will be the 1st in our dealership to get one, since i was the first to order back on 1/6. he told me there is an outside chance it will come with the car...but we know how likely that is! (see poll results)

honestly i just hope i take delivery this week!

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #60
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
The news Matt, is that even if it's not with the car (and we know it won't be), maybe the freeze will be lifted and you can get it quick.

Don't let it spoil your fun. Despite my bitching, I haven't let it spoil mine!

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #61
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The news Matt, is that even if it's not with the car (and we know it won't be), maybe the freeze will be lifted and you can get it quick.

Don't let it spoil your fun. Despite my bitching, I haven't let it spoil mine!
trust me its not spoiling my fun...spoiling my fun goes back to your statement "expectations lead to dissapointment" that is what is spoiling my fun!

orderd my car 1/6 and was told i would have it mid-march the latest. well here we are! last week i was told 99.9% this week i am getting it. week is surely not over, but not much left. car discharged from ship 6pm on Sunday, i am only 100 miles from VPC but i am losing faith.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #62
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
your point does NOT make sense? you are comparing FREE mats, that they don't have to give to you.....to a $400 option that is paid for at delivery but not given to until who knows when.

hey i understand things go out of stock, but don't charge me FULL price until I receive it. lets apply some logic to our responses.

They don't have the cable, I hear you. They're not trying to rip you off--if the cable comes after the car does, they'll owe it to you and give it to you at a later date. Why are you so hung-up on this idea that you paid $400 and aren't going to get what you paid for? As they say in life, **** happens. If something that small gets you fired up, it's going to be a very long life full of disappointments I should think.

Like I said before, I don't envy what the CA's and GM's have to put up with. There seem to be some BMW drivers that have very short fuses. Some folks are on their 4th or 5th+ BMWs and nothing seems to satisfy them!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #63
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They don't have the cable, I hear you. They're not trying to rip you off--if the cable comes after the car does, they'll owe it to you and give it to you at a later date. Why are you so hung-up on this idea that you paid $400 and aren't going to get what you paid for? As they say in life, **** happens. If something that small gets you fired up, it's going to be a very long life full of disappointments I should think.

Like I said before, I don't envy what the CA's and GM's have to put up with. There seem to be some BMW drivers that have very short fuses. Some folks are on their 4th or 5th+ BMWs and nothing seems to satisfy them!
i think BMW drivers have the right to have a short fuse. we pay a lot of money for cars, and have high expectations. if BMW announces a new product is available for March orders then they must follow through. Like Zep said, its all about expectations. if they would have told me back when this item was avail - "Matt its part of your order, but the cable will not be ready until April/May" I would be more understanding....but the fact that they pulled this last minute baffles me. Someone F'd up big time, and I am not that type that is just like "oh well, when it gets here it gets here". i think most BMW drivers are very paticular, thats why we love our cars...so when something likes this happens we get fired up. maybe John you are just a really laid back guy?

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #64
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

yeah... someone at BMWUSA messed up... hopefully it gets fixed up ASAP! anyway, your problems will disappear tomorrow when you get the call Matt! I can tell you that we get our cars the day that the VPC releases them to the carrier or the next morning bright and shiny. you're not far at all so it's gotta be the same deal. they may have gotten it tonight, but need to get it through service and detail before you can get it.
      04-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #65
Noelski
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1992 Toyota Celica All-Trac

Here is the word from BMW in Canada on this issue;
From what I have been able to gather, the response is as follows: - In the U.S. when 6FL is ordered, a cable can be requested or not. If the cable is requested, the 6FL price is increased by the cost of the cable.
In Canada, BMW Canada have decided that the cable will not be included in the 6FL price and can be ordered separately from a dealer parts department.
Apparently, the cable will only be required if an IPOD is going to be used.
For anything else a normal USB cable will suffice, thus the special cable would not be needed.
Currently, BMW Germany has 5500 cables on back order. BMW Canada anticipates that the cables will become available in Canada mid May to mid June.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #66
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'll do you one better, asshole. You can't understand why a few people are upset over a little cable and are having a discussion about it? What I have trouble understanding why some asswipe who is not involved in the 6FL issue in any way feels compelled to keep sticking his nose into the thread and spouting the same narrow minded opinion over and over and over...

We're bugged we didn't get the cable - you think we should just be lucky our engine starts... yeah, we get it. :finger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelski View Post
Here is the word from BMW in Canada on this issue;
From what I have been able to gather, the response is as follows: - In the U.S. when 6FL is ordered, a cable can be requested or not. If the cable is requested, the 6FL price is increased by the cost of the cable.
In Canada, BMW Canada have decided that the cable will not be included in the 6FL price and can be ordered separately from a dealer parts department.
Apparently, the cable will only be required if an IPOD is going to be used.
For anything else a normal USB cable will suffice, thus the special cable would not be needed.
Currently, BMW Germany has 5500 cables on back order. BMW Canada anticipates that the cables will become available in Canada mid May to mid June.
Not true for the U.S. side. The cable is provided by the dealers the same way the headphones for the rear seat entertainment system are provided for the X5. This means the dealer stocks the part and put it into the car during delivery prep. The problem with this one is that BMW has held the part back and dealers haven't been able to order them. This is all according to the dealer bulletin issued in February.

Appreciate 0