E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Enjoying MG (or BMW or Whatever!)

07-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Enjoying MG (or BMW or Whatever!)

Every month being a member of the MGOC I get a monthly magazine on the whole it is OK, got some interesting restoration projects and sales in it and a few articles about MGs but is aimed at the older generation (my Grandma and Grandad love it!)

This article though, really did sort of sum up what being a petrolhead is all about, see if you agree (though you may have to change MG, to BMW or your (favourite) marque of car.

"We don't all drive Classic MGs even though the MGF and MG TF are now passing into an age where they can nearly be described as a classic and the Z series isn't far behind. As you can expect from an MG nut who fell in love with MGs in 1971, I personally own several MGs, the oldest a 1953 TD, the wildest is the RV8 and the most practical for everyday life is the ZTT estate. My RWA 1972 MG Midget and the chrome and rubber bumpered MGBs are purely for funand nostalgia and my MGB GT V8 hsa been around so long, it is cherished as one of the family. I have had them all for so long and I cannot bring myself to sell themeven thought I cannot for a moment justify having so many cars. I like classic Jaguars too and the sight and sound of a 1960's Aston Martin will be forever unforgettable. So why can't I (and you for that matter) have the same feeling for a brand new Ford or Renault or BMW straight out of the factory? After all they are beautifully made, they are extremely reliable, much more practical ..., I could go on. What is it that makes having an MG so desirable, is there something wrong with us to want our MGs so much?

The answer is yes! We are not quite right in the head, we need to be more practical, waste less money on our MGs, we need to get a grip on reality and be much more responsible in our everyday lives. It's not the act of a reasonable human being to spend the whole afternoon on a Saturday cleaning and polishing the chrome and paintwork of a dated lump of old metal and then making an excuse to drive somewhere into the countryside on the Sunday deliberately avoiding the clear motorway (in case theres a hold up) and choosing instead minor roads running through old villages. Some of our friend know why we do it, they might even do it too! Others will smile and tap their heads in disbelief.

Yes we are bonkers! Yes we are impractical! Yes we do claim to admire an object that is made out of metal, rubber and leather, cloth, vinyl or plastic - you choose and to be honest very few of the other people in our lives share our passions or even attempt to understand it. That's why you get odd looks from people at work or in the High Street when you drive with the roof down or the Webasto sunroof fully open on a day that looks like rain.

So what is it that separates us from the normal folk, what is it that makes us different? No one is saying that we are not harmless or misguided or dangerous, just what is it that is in our brain that causes us to feel the way we do? The answer is of course is not in our brain at all. Our problem is my friends is that we feel the way we do about our MGs is because the problem is in our hearts. Yes, thats it. The problem is that we are in love. And that, I am not afraid to say is the answer. We are in love. It's not logical; it's not practical, it's not even sensible. But it's a fact and as we all know, there is no cure for love."

Now normally I'm not into the old gush that some of these oldies post about their MGs and of course I don't know about the nostalgia! I like old cars due to the way they drive and I am probably madder than most driving one everyday!!

Just thought that was a wonderful article and if you change the MGs, can apply to anything that is important in your lives (not just cars either I don't suppose!)

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
So what is it that separates us from the normal folk
The long straggly beards, grubby fingernails, use of swarfega as a moisturiser and endless discussion about the superiority of the tappets, wiggling sprocket and bleed nipples on the 1971 MGBGT
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ROFL I will have you know you won't get cleaner fingernails than a Classic MG owner...well I can't vouch for others but I'm telling you, I have great nails, see UK6 thread with pics to prove

I thought it was a well writen article, not sure I agree with the "not being right in the head" though.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Other half (who works on a golf course) has told me of a gentleman he spoke with earlier today. Basically, there was a visiting party of e.g.g.s (elderley gentlemens golf society) from Fulford, near York. The car park starts to fill up with the usual collection of BMW's, Mercs, Audis & Jags, then about 10 minutes later a very immaculate British racing green, MG Midget pulls in. Steve thought what the hell, I'm going to talk to this bloke. The owner of the MG turns out to be ex-RAF (imagine the accent) and has owned the car from new (1971). He has been around Europe in this MG but has only ever used it at weekends and continental trips so hence the mileage of 65k from new. Basically he loves his MG and cannot imagine parting with it. He admits he's spent some money on it over the years but so what. Steve asked him what other cars he'd owner over the years working on the premiss that alot of RAF guys are often petrolheads. He's owned a couple of 911 turbos, had various BMW's, one Ferrari which broke down frequently and an Aston (don't know which one). The Porsches were his favourites . By his own admission, he felt he was becoming too old for sports cars now - he's 78 years old. But his every day car - a M6 What a character.

Looks like once bitten by the car bug, it stays in the blood.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Other half (who works on a golf course) has told me of a gentleman he spoke with earlier today. Basically, there was a visiting party of e.g.g.s (elderley gentlemens golf society) from Fulford, near York. The car park starts to fill up with the usual collection of BMW's, Mercs, Audis & Jags, then about 10 minutes later a very immaculate British racing green, MG Midget pulls in. Steve thought what the hell, I'm going to talk to this bloke. The owner of the MG turns out to be ex-RAF (imagine the accent) and has owned the car from new (1971). He has been around Europe in this MG but has only ever used it at weekends and continental trips so hence the mileage of 65k from new. Basically he loves his MG and cannot imagine parting with it. He admits he's spent some money on it over the years but so what. Steve asked him what other cars he'd owner over the years working on the premiss that alot of RAF guys are often petrolheads. He's owned a couple of 911 turbos, had various BMW's, one Ferrari which broke down frequently and an Aston (don't know which one). The Porsches were his favourites . By his own admission, he felt he was becoming too old for sports cars now - he's 78 years old. But his every day car - a M6 What a character.

Yes seems so

Nice account, just goes to show despite owning all types of exotica he has kept his humble little MG Midget from new!

MG did something right theres just a little bit of magic with an MG. Old Alfas are the same but much more heartbreaking.

As for Porsche being his favourite, I'd say the same too How are you getting on with the Cayman? Do you think you have the Porsche bug yet?!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

Helen do you think you'll be as frisky at 78.....love the real Steve