E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My long story with 29F2

01-04-2024, 04:54 PM   #1
C_Clancy26
Rep
Drives: Mora Metallic BMW E93 335i

Garage List
Post My long story with 29F2

Alright, I wanna start first and foremost with some history on my car, as it’s important. Long story short, I picked up an individual spec 2008 E93 335i for just for $10,700 AUD back in October. When I bought it, it had a half light and was in limp mode, but for the price and spec I could not say no. It had some sort of knock, and I brought my friends who works at Melbourne BMW to check it with me (an old colleague of mine, used to be an apprentice there myself) and he was confident it was wastegate rattle (he said when the gates are fully open 24/7 in limp mode with bad rattle they sound just like that, and that they’re very often confused with rod knock). Well, turns out it was rod knock, although I had a suspicion it might’ve been before I bought the car so I was prepared to fix it. We removed the engine ourselves, but then I got a master tech friend of mine to install the new one, as I didn’t wanna terminally fuck something and I didn’t have the time to put it back in myself. We got an engine for very cheap from a friend of said master tech, the master tech walnut blasted it, put new oil pan, oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets on, and chucked it in the car. It ran great. Then it started bogging. Keep in mind, i was told before I bought the car that it was tuned, didn’t say anything about the tune, just said the previous owner said it was tuned. So it starts bogging, and then gives me limp mode. I load MHD, and it gives me code 29F2, the first time I had seen it at this point. I initially thought that it was the HPFP, but my girlfriend pointed out that this happened pretty much straight after I put 95 in the car for the first time (I had been filling up with 98 before this) so she said it might be something to do with the tune being 98 only and the computer was acting up. So I emptied the tank as much as possible, filled up with fresh 98, then cleared the code, and it didn’t come back until a day or two later. I had been doing pulls in that day or two and there was no bogging, then all of a sudden it comes back on, and no matter what, whenever I clear the codes, as soon as I hit even 0.1 psi of boost it comes back on. So I figure it must be the HPFP. I bought a non genuine one, thinking that if the hpfp wasn’t the problem I’d rather spend $300 finding that out rather than $1000, I put it in, and the car ran great! Then after doing some work on the cooling system a couple days ago, (radiator exploded on me :/) I decided to take it for its first proper drive on a nice road (keep in mind I have owned this car for 3 months and this is the first fun drive I’m doing) it ran great all the way around the road, I had fun, and then on my way back home I pulled over to call my bmw friend and tell him how good the cars running, and approximately 0.03 microseconds later, boom. Fans fully on, engine running weird, and limp mode. And guess what code it was ? 29F2. This was the first I’d seen of this code since replacing the HPFP and it really scared me. So I cleared the code, babied it back home, and left it to sit. I drive it to work this morning very gently most of the way, and it ran fine, so I gave it a couple pulls, and once again it ran fine, no code. So what the hells going on? I’m losing my mind trying to research and figure out what’s going on? Also there are some fuel related shadow codes that have been haunting me for a bit. I also need to find a way to figure out whether or not my cars actually tuned, and if so what the tune is. I’m losing my mind, someone please help.
Ps sorry for the rant, kinda wanted to share the cars story aswell. I’ve attached pics of the car and code history. Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
C_Clancy26
Rep

Garage List
Wanna put emphasis on the sorry for the long story part, didn’t realise how much I wrote until I posted it
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:52 PM   #3
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Clancy26 View Post
Alright, I wanna start first and foremost with some history on my car, as it’s important. Long story short, I picked up an individual spec 2008 E93 335i for just for $10,700 AUD back in October. When I bought it, it had a half light and was in limp mode, but for the price and spec I could not say no. It had some sort of knock, and I brought my friends who works at Melbourne BMW to check it with me (an old colleague of mine, used to be an apprentice there myself) and he was confident it was wastegate rattle (he said when the gates are fully open 24/7 in limp mode with bad rattle they sound just like that, and that they’re very often confused with rod knock). Well, turns out it was rod knock, although I had a suspicion it might’ve been before I bought the car so I was prepared to fix it. We removed the engine ourselves, but then I got a master tech friend of mine to install the new one, as I didn’t wanna terminally fuck something and I didn’t have the time to put it back in myself. We got an engine for very cheap from a friend of said master tech, the master tech walnut blasted it, put new oil pan, oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets on, and chucked it in the car. It ran great. Then it started bogging. Keep in mind, i was told before I bought the car that it was tuned, didn’t say anything about the tune, just said the previous owner said it was tuned. So it starts bogging, and then gives me limp mode. I load MHD, and it gives me code 29F2, the first time I had seen it at this point. I initially thought that it was the HPFP, but my girlfriend pointed out that this happened pretty much straight after I put 95 in the car for the first time (I had been filling up with 98 before this) so she said it might be something to do with the tune being 98 only and the computer was acting up. So I emptied the tank as much as possible, filled up with fresh 98, then cleared the code, and it didn’t come back until a day or two later. I had been doing pulls in that day or two and there was no bogging, then all of a sudden it comes back on, and no matter what, whenever I clear the codes, as soon as I hit even 0.1 psi of boost it comes back on. So I figure it must be the HPFP. I bought a non genuine one, thinking that if the hpfp wasn’t the problem I’d rather spend $300 finding that out rather than $1000, I put it in, and the car ran great! Then after doing some work on the cooling system a couple days ago, (radiator exploded on me :/) I decided to take it for its first proper drive on a nice road (keep in mind I have owned this car for 3 months and this is the first fun drive I’m doing) it ran great all the way around the road, I had fun, and then on my way back home I pulled over to call my bmw friend and tell him how good the cars running, and approximately 0.03 microseconds later, boom. Fans fully on, engine running weird, and limp mode. And guess what code it was ? 29F2. This was the first I’d seen of this code since replacing the HPFP and it really scared me. So I cleared the code, babied it back home, and left it to sit. I drive it to work this morning very gently most of the way, and it ran fine, so I gave it a couple pulls, and once again it ran fine, no code. So what the hells going on? I’m losing my mind trying to research and figure out what’s going on? Also there are some fuel related shadow codes that have been haunting me for a bit. I also need to find a way to figure out whether or not my cars actually tuned, and if so what the tune is. I’m losing my mind, someone please help.
Ps sorry for the rant, kinda wanted to share the cars story aswell. I’ve attached pics of the car and code history. Cheers!
Can you check voltage to battery and check alternator?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:23 PM   #4
C_Clancy26
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowE92 View Post
Ah shit yeah the alternator code is up, not throwing an engine light but that probably wouldn’t help. I’ll check and get back to you 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:31 PM   #5
C_Clancy26
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whilst the car was off, the battery read 11.93v, as for the alternator I tried touching the ground and the copper on the alternator and got no reading, but when I touched the ground and positive connection in the engine bay I got 14.04v whilst the car was running
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 10:54 AM   #6
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also to emphasize, how did your friend verify rod knock? I've never quite heard of wastegate rattle being confused for rod knock.. anyways.. 29F2 is in regards to your HPFP, and you also said you bought a non genuine HPFP replacement so it could either be faulty HPFP or a loose connection, if you have the MHD logging tool you can check your rail pressure and if its dipping below 1500 PSI youll know its your HPFP. Also did you do the work on the radiator yourself? Your fan blasting and getting thrown into limp would indicate some type of cooling issue and i would double check the work.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 10:57 AM   #7
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also scan the car with MHD and you can see the last file flashed
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:24 PM   #8
C_Clancy26
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also scan the car with MHD and you can see the last file flashed
Sorry I’m relatively new to MHD and currently only have logging and I think diagnostic license? How can I do this?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:28 PM   #9
C_Clancy26
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also to emphasize, how did your friend verify rod knock? I've never quite heard of wastegate rattle being confused for rod knock.. anyways.. 29F2 is in regards to your HPFP, and you also said you bought a non genuine HPFP replacement so it could either be faulty HPFP or a loose connection, if you have the MHD logging tool you can check your rail pressure and if its dipping below 1500 PSI youll know its your HPFP. Also did you do the work on the radiator yourself? Your fan blasting and getting thrown into limp would indicate some type of cooling issue and i would double check the work.
When I test drive the car the knock was very subtle. My mate said often when the wastegates are fully open they can be confused with rod knock (I never did any major work on N54’s whilst I worked there so I took him for his word) and that it’s pretty uncommon to see rod knock in N54’s because of how solid the bottom end is and usually if they do start knocking it’s from years of neglect. Once I did an oil change to the appropriate oil, the knock was much louder, so I assume the guy who sold it to me knew this and put thicker oil in it.
As for the logging, I’ve never done it before, can you point me in the direction of a YouTube video or channel that might help? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #10
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When I test drive the car the knock was very subtle. My mate said often when the wastegates are fully open they can be confused with rod knock (I never did any major work on N54’s whilst I worked there so I took him for his word) and that it’s pretty uncommon to see rod knock in N54’s because of how solid the bottom end is and usually if they do start knocking it’s from years of neglect. Once I did an oil change to the appropriate oil, the knock was much louder, so I assume the guy who sold it to me knew this and put thicker oil in it.
As for the logging, I’ve never done it before, can you point me in the direction of a YouTube video or channel that might help? Cheers
If it were me, I'd scan the car and see what file was last flashed, I'd also clear the codes and see which ones come back. Any modifications done to the car? Intercooler, downpipes, etc. Is there a JB4 in the DME box? I'm a strong advocate of before tuning your car, make sure it is mechanically sound, do a tune up, plugs, coils, etc.

Datalogging:

1. Press the Monitor (auto log) button

2. Stabilize around 2500 rpm in 3rd gear with DTC fully off

3. Mash the pedal, shift at 6000 and hold at 2-3s after the shift into 4

4. Slow down, stop the monitor.

5. Then upload the .csv file in MHD / datalog to datazap.me (Autologging saves to SD card > MHD flasher > datalogging. Upload straight from MHD to datazap; it'll take you directly to the folder.)

If your car is being thrown into limp with the fan blasting that tells me that there is still an issue with the cooling system, and I would get that fixed before anything else, high heat kills engines. It also looks as though you're still having problems with your fuel pressure as well. You could have gotten a bad part, or one of your connections is faulty.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.2711.50