E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > stock Intake and BOV questions

01-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Weltdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW e92

stock Intake and BOV questions

Alright first to start off, yes I did my search and I know that there plenty of intakes that make the car sound much meaner and there are plenty of BOVs to go wit them.

On my 350z I had an intake and didnt see a problem with it since I did my own maintenance. Now with BMW I would not want to take it to dealer with DCI installed (just to be safe) let alone a BOV (if ill get 1)

So my question is,

1. is there a simple way to modify stock intake (maybe get a diff filter for it? KN?) to add a but of growl
2. What is a good sounding BOV that is pretty easy to install/uninstall.

Thanks guys

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

There are a few drop-in filters that go in the stock airbox, but they don't increase sound. A DCI is really easy to install/remove for dealer visits. Checkout helix13.com, they have 2 different BOV setups that fit right into the stock DV slots. Forge also makes DVs that you can vent to atmosphere.

Edit: you can also search for DIY BOV and you'll find a way to turn your stock diverter valves into BOV for about $3 and it's super easy/reversable

Last edited by rader1; 01-24-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Weltdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
There are a few drop-in filters that go in the stock airbox, but they don't increase sound. A DCI is really easy to install/remove for dealer visits. Checkout helix13.com, they have 2 different BOV setups that fit right into the stock DV slots. Forge also makes DVs that you can vent to atmosphere.

Edit: you can also search for DIY BOV and you'll find a way to turn your stock diverter valves into BOV for about $3 and it's super easy/reversable
Will research those options! Easily reversible always sounds good.

Thanks

P.S. I am guessing DIY BOV wont sound as good as the Helix or Forge BOVs?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraini9mofo View Post
Will research those options! Easily reversible always sounds good.

Thanks

P.S. I am guessing DIY BOV wont sound as good as the Helix or Forge BOVs?
Its all opinion on sound, but honestly the DIY BOV setup doesn't sound bad. All you do is unhook the factory DV tube from the intake pipe(NOT the DV itself, but the discharge hose coming out of the side. It has a light grey locking clip you need to rotate to remove) and cap the fitting where the hose connected. It takes about 5 minutes to do. Homedepot sells 1" Inside Diameter black rubber caps that work great and matches the black plastic. IMO, the only downside is that it looks bad to have uncoupled hoses in your engine bay

If you decide to do an aftermarket intake there are hundreds of discussions on what is the best and the general consensus is that they're all pretty much the same. So go with the most popular/cheapest, which is the BMS DCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Weltdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its all opinion on sound, but honestly the DIY BOV setup doesn't sound bad. All you do is unhook the factory DV tube from the intake pipe(NOT the DV itself, but the discharge hose coming out of the side. It has a light grey locking clip you need to rotate to remove) and cap the fitting where the hose connected. It takes about 5 minutes to do. Homedepot sells 1" Inside Diameter black rubber caps that work great and matches the black plastic. IMO, the only downside is that it looks bad to have uncoupled hoses in your engine bay

If you decide to do an aftermarket intake there are hundreds of discussions on what is the best and the general consensus is that they're all pretty much the same. So go with the most popular/cheapest, which is the BMS DCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
DCI.... and take off the engine cowl(for dry days) Youll be absolutely happy.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
That'll work, but beware that there are moments of vacuum in the intake runners, and you'd be sucking in un-filtered air: not so good.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
That'll work, but beware that there are moments of vacuum in the intake runners, and you'd be sucking in un-filtered air: not so good.
My understanding of the N54 is that there is always pressure in the chargepipe. whenever the stock DVs are "open" the throttle plate is closed and there is pressure, not vaccuum, so air can't be drawn in throught the DV.
Correct me if i am wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

As others have stated, a replacement panel filter won't affect noise.

I briefly ran with BMS dci and now have Helix's new set-up and like it a lot.
There is more intake noise with the BMS dci, but I didn't much like how it looked in the engine compartment.

Neil

P.S. OP: If you're interested in a slightly used BMS dci, contact me offline.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
My understanding of the N54 is that there is always pressure in the chargepipe. whenever the stock DVs are "open" the throttle plate is closed and there is pressure, not vaccuum, so air can't be drawn in throught the DV.
Correct me if i am wrong here.
In theory, yes, but a very good engineer suggested to me otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Weltdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks to everyone for you replies!

Is this just with DCI or with the DIY BOV mod as well? I hear a little whoosh before shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
DCI.... and take off the engine cowl(for dry days) Youll be absolutely happy.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
just DCI and took off engine cowl. no BOV DIY performed. Its much louder in person. You'll be really satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
if you want a prettier DCI, check out CPE's option on BMS's website
Appreciate 0