E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > New XKR-S arrival

09-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

New XKR-S arrival

I've been a bit off the radar recently having recently had my father pass away (and all that entails when my mother has Alzheimer's so there really is nobody else to sort things out other than me) followed almost immediately with moving house 4 weeks ago....I pretty much pumped all my spare time into sorting both of those scenario's out so I've not had much time to enjoy myself!

However, today is cause for me to celebrate because my long(ish)-awaited new XKR-S has arrived!

To say I was having withdrawal symptoms from V8 power is an understatement and nearly 3-months of having either a XF-S (diesel) or our (slow) RRS had me craving for the sound and performance of a decent petrol engine. In all honesty, I've hardly slummed it with either of those but when you've got an XKR-S in the pipeline, they're just not going to cut the mustard are they! At least the extended wait should help me appreciate the car more and therefore less likely to want to change it as quickly as usual (no bets being taken though )

I was hoping to take delivery last week but alas, the dealer never called so I assumed it hadn't turned up and I'd be looking at another weeks' wait But no, I finally got the call today saying it had arrived on Friday but they couldn't turn the pre-delivery stuff round in time for the weekend and that it was now ready for me to collect. So, despite being back-to-back at work all day, I made my excuses and managed to find some time to pick it up late afternoon

As the day progressed, I then received a most unexpected call at around 3pm from the sales director who was sounding very sheepish and apologetic. He sounded like this as he tried to explain that, in moving the car to the handover area, he had personally crashed it ......into a plant pot (or something similar) resulting in a scratch to the carbon fibre front splitter.

Honestly, I laughed and genuinely found it amusing....just imagine after everything that has happened how he would have felt making that call to me - he must have been beside himself! All I was bothered about was that it wouldn't delay my collection of the car and, when I got to the dealer, I could hardly see the mark - despite this, they are replacing it (luckily it's a simple bolt-off, bolt-on job) but it's costing them nearly a grand due to it being quite a large chunk of carbon fibre

After what has to have been the shortest handover, I jumped in and drove it home. And....erm, I've looked at it! Here it is in all it's glory and I've not even bothered to put it in the drive....it's parked right outside my front door so I can ogle it out of my windows tonight!

(Sorry about the quality but it's dark and I ain't no photographer!)

And here's the thing - you'll remember that I wasn't that much of a fan of the looks over what I think is a purer-looking standard XKR. However, seeing it real life (and this is the first time I've seen a blue one up close) I don't think that pictures really do the R-S justice because in reality, this is a VERY striking car. Even on a relatively short drive home it attracted more attention than anything else I've had (Maserati included), the colour making it particularly, erm.....flash! All the aero add-ons definitely make it less 'sleek', less naturally 'pretty' than the standard car, but instead it replaces those characteristics with a brash, hard-as-nails look which has it's own unique appeal. It also has no chrome which makes it look cleaner and more sporty (rather than classy in the case of the normal XKR). Most importantly, I like it....I mean, just look how 'phat' that rear wheel stance is

The interior is obviously very similar to my last one but the key differences are noticeable - I love the blue stitching and piping in the R-S (which is much more noticeable than the red stitching in my previous one) and the carbon effect leather on sections of the seats and door trims looks cool. I'm again amazed at the Bowers and Wilkins stereo which is so much better than the similarly-branded system in the XF - it's odd, but you'd expect the XF's newer design to have the superior audio installation but the older XK ends up having the better sounding system.

My driving experience has so far been limited to a 15 mile journey home from the dealer but it feels instantly familiar. My last XKR had the factory-fit Dynamic Pack and Performance Exhaust options so it was very nearly an XKR-S in terms of chassis set-up and sound....and so it proves to be as this car feels and sounds almost exactly the same as my previous one (less the creak ). Now, I believe the additional power and the fact the torque limiter is removed from the gearbox does make a difference but this evening, utilising all of 3000rpm, I can't say I've noticed it being much quicker - I'm sure that'll change after it's run-in and I use it 'properly' (it has all of 20 miles on the clock now!) but, after 3 months of driving the XF and RRS, this feels insanely fast even at such low engine speeds. The sound!....the sound is just awesome after months of diesel power....damn, it's just great to be back in a proper V8 again

And thats it for my first impressions this evening - it's quite odd that my initial focus has been on the aesthetics but, other than the extra power which I've not had the chance to experience yet (and won't do until it's properly run-in), it is the looks of the thing that are most different to my previous one.

I'll whack up some better pics when I can take some in daylight.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 09-17-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Nice one Andrew. It looks the dogs-danglies mate. Hope to see it in the flesh sometime soon - does it sound 'tinny' like your old one
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Fantastic car.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Sorry to hear about your family problems but the drive to work this morning should put a smile on your face for sure, looks great !
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Sorry to learn of your fathers passing. Our sincere condolences

Congratulations on your new car, as always a good post

As it happens I'm also getting something with the same engine
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

cars v nice, looking forward to some daylight photos - sorry to hear about your Dad
      09-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

[As it happens I'm also getting something with the same engine [/QUOTE]

What else comes with the same engine ??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Another XKR-S
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Nice car Andrew. Sorry to hear about your woes. Also it was nice to see you briefly at the Ring.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

That looks fantastical!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Condolences Andrew,must have been a tough time.

Cracking car,enjoy

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

That looks hell of a Monster Andrew and can understand you wanting to look out the window all night at it although unsure about the colour will have to get round to see it in the flesh sometime
Sorry to here about your Dad and thoughts with you and your family sure you’ve got plenty of people around you but if I can do anything to help please don’t hesitate to give us a call
      09-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Wow! very nice Andrew!.good write up!!!... not a fan of the colour tho...

Sorry to hear about the tough time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Fantastic car!!! I do like the colour and the looks......... but I think it would be too "loud" for me. Maybe 10-15 year ago, but not nowadays
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Stunning! Love the colour!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
So sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

Car looks mental. A blue Jag. Crazy shit!!
      09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yer sorry to hear the news m8

Though you are right it does look better in blue than pink
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Thanks so much for the comments and condolences chaps - really appreciate it.

I actually sent Vicki to work in it today as I had to head off to the big smoke - I don't intend to whack any big 'work' miles on this car so plan to use the RRS for my longer commutes....yep, I know, it's tough slumming it! Joking aside, you can't believe how hard it was to walk past the Jaaaaag this morning to get into another car, no matter how nice that is. And get this - she had the bloody cheek to complain about it (as she was 'scared' of driving it )....how ungrateful can you get huh?

Anyway, back to the aesthetics of it, when I pulled up at home tonight and saw it 'abandoned' in the drive (she couldn't even park it properly ), I just thought how much it looked like a proper 'supercar' in comparison to the normal XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Nice one Andrew. It looks the dogs-danglies mate. Hope to see it in the flesh sometime soon - does it sound 'tinny' like your old one
No, this one's much more 'rattly'.....more what you're used to. You'd like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Most JLR products (except Defender, Evoque and Freelander) in a slightly lower state of tune. So, it could be a Jaguar XFR, XJ Supersport or XKR OR either of the big Range Rover's (Sport or proper one).

My guess is a proper (big) Range Rover Supercharged?

Fly....is it going to be a new shape Range Rover as they look immensely impressive - I read on PH that the new all-ally body in white on that weighs only 12kg more than a Mini Countryman and the development team managed to get one to 180mph and that wasn't even flat out! In something as big (and tall as) a first floor apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Nice car Andrew. Sorry to hear about your woes. Also it was nice to see you briefly at the Ring.

Matt
Thanks Matt - you too. Apologies I didn't hang around but the all the guys I was with wanted to do was get back to the hotel for beer (we were staying in Koblenz!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
That looks hell of a Monster Andrew and can understand you wanting to look out the window all night at it although unsure about the colour will have to get round to see it in the flesh sometime
Sorry to here about your Dad and thoughts with you and your family sure you’ve got plenty of people around you but if I can do anything to help please don’t hesitate to give us a call
Colour is much better in real life - it doesn't really photograph that well. I'm still torn between the blue that I chose and the much richer red colour but it's fair to say that the blue is much more flash looking!

Pop round anytime mate - I've now moved to a posh(er) part of the area (Barrow)....meaning I'm a bit closer to you

There is largely no other family mate, other than my mum who's in a home so I just had Vicki and her folks really. My dad does have a (stinkingly rich) brother but they were never close and he has kept quite distant, leaving all of the decisions (and work) to me.

My dad pretty much fell apart when my mum's condition drastically deteriorated - ultimately resulting in me having to take her out of their home to put her into care. This is something my dad couldn't cope with but I had little choice as he was unable to care for her properly - it was the hardest decision of my life so far After that (and even for the year or so leading up to that point), he was deeply, deeply miserable and couldn't cope with life in the situation he was put in. He wasn't particularly well himself but he wouldn't accept help or advice so, as I see it, his misery has now ended and he is hopefully at peace, which can only be a good thing given the situation. The most distressing part for me is seeing my mums condition which, again, I seem to be able to do little about...she doesn't seem to really know me anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Fuck me, I was ready to take the piss (as usual mate), but scrolled down to your story so thought better of it. Whilst I already knew what's been going on the reminder is still a harsh reminder of the shite life can dish out sometimes. You've had some really shit decisions to make (not just blue or red!) but always has the best intentions for all concerned. I'm sure you'll always questions your decisions but, from the outside looking in, don't think you should doubt yourself.

Can I resume taking the piss now?!?!

I remember Rebecca being shit scared of driving all my cars over the years, 350Z's, 370Z, 335i and more so the Maser (that she nearly killed three times in one evening!!) but can't imagine her being thrilled about driving a £100k old-mans Jaaaaaaag with 100 miles on the clock!!! Vicx work mates must wonder what the fuck is going on!!

Anyway, onwards & upwards mate, remember to slide me a free iPhone5 when you get a minute
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Sorry to hear of your loss. R.I.P.

The car looks amazing... Thought I've missed a chapter in your car novel though. The black on was having issues and you'd put a deposit on the... white prototype looking one lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bear_Yid View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss. R.I.P.

The car looks amazing... Thought I've missed a chapter in your car novel though. The black on was having issues and you'd put a deposit on the... white prototype looking one lol.
The abridged version is that the black car had some issues so it went back to Jaagg and with the dealers assistance, they were persuaded to take it back and give the OP a replacement in the form of an XKR-S. Much conjecture was made as to exactly what Palmnuts had to do to get them to agree to this deal

The result is a neon blue XKR-S on the drive. Forumites have decided that Palmnuts needs to accompany them on any car negotiations\purchases in the future. Think that about sums it up.

PS Condolences to you and your family Palmnuts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
...problem being a creaking/clicking sound coming from the structure itself towards the rear. Couldn't be fixed it appears but seems only Andrew could friggin' hear it - he needs therapy - LOL
Appreciate 0