E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > New XKR-S arrival

09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Congrats mate! What a stunning looking car!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Firstly, my condolences for your father passing away.

Secondly, I'm totally jealous as this is one of my favourite cars in the best colour for it! Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #25
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

To all....thanks so much for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Vicx work mates must wonder what the fuck is going on!!

Anyway, onwards & upwards mate, remember to slide me a free iPhone5 when you get a minute
Thanks for the comments Rog

They're sort of used to it but it must look bizarre as she looks so young!

Free iPhone5....ha ha, we can't get enough of them to actually sell! As is always the frustrating case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bear_Yid View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss. R.I.P.

The car looks amazing... Thought I've missed a chapter in your car novel though. The black on was having issues and you'd put a deposit on the... white prototype looking one lol.
Oh man, do keep up .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
The abridged version is that the black car had some issues so it went back to Jaagg and with the dealers assistance, they were persuaded to take it back and give the OP a replacement in the form of an XKR-S. Much conjecture was made as to exactly what Palmnuts had to do to get them to agree to this deal

The result is a neon blue XKR-S on the drive. Forumites have decided that Palmnuts needs to accompany them on any car negotiations\purchases in the future. Think that about sums it up.

PS Condolences to you and your family Palmnuts.
....see, the Guvernator gets it

I'm still not entirely sure what I did other than consistently not let go when the car wasn't (in my eyes) perfect. I made sure I built a good personal rapport with the key decision makers at the dealer and always kept polite and patient. The dealer therefore backed me all the way and the results can be seen.

The whole way I was treated was exceptional by both Jaguar and the dealer and this has gone a long way to them keeping me as a customer (although not sure if I'm the type of customer they want )

Quote:
...problem being a creaking/clicking sound coming from the structure itself towards the rear. Couldn't be fixed it appears but seems only Andrew could friggin' hear it - he needs therapy - LOL
This was a genuine but remarkably hard fault to replicate all the time. Thank God for smartphones where you can record anything instantly!

Therapy wouldn't be a bad shout though as I absolutely hate bing so picky! One could suggest that it's in my power to change this but it just ain't that easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SH View Post
Congrats mate! What a stunning looking car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
Firstly, my condolences for your father passing away.

Secondly, I'm totally jealous as this is one of my favourite cars in the best colour for it! Enjoy it!
Thanks....although will be hard keeping your colleagues at bay
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Hi Andrew , we spoke about your father a while back and the pain it brings, A least this new Jaguar will be a nice distraction and I hope it is rattle free !

It does look very nice ,Im not sure the colour is me but im going grey with old age , Enoy the car as we know you will ,

BR

Scooba
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #27
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Mr Palmer - very sorry to hear of your loss, sincere condolences from this end.
It goes without saying that the car looks stunning, great choice. What's the latest on the F-Type, when are you expecting to be behind the wheel of that?

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
It goes without saying that the car looks stunning, great choice. What's the latest on the F-Type, when are you expecting to be behind the wheel of that?
Yes this ^^^^

I know you've only just got your new XKR-S but they are soooo last season now

The new F-Type is going to be at the Paris motorshow and a first pic has been released on PH. I have to say I think it looks stunning!

Strange choice to release the cabriolet first though. This is one of the few new cars that I am truly excited about.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
Dave_3
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G22 M440D

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Need some daytime photos of the blue colour.

F-Type .... wheels seem quite small on the silver render, better on the red one.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Get some better ruddy pics up man!

Congrats on the collection of the car but of course condolences with the family situation That is tough. Hope the Jaaaaaag is bringing some much needed fun into your life at a tough time mate.

Dave
      09-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #31
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Condolences on the bad news and glad you finally got car sorted. Lets see if you can hold on to it for more than 12months
      10-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the comments guys

It's been a manic couple of weeks and I've actually used the RRS more than the Jag as it's all been work, work, work However, I think it's more than fair to say that when I have got in the Jag, it has felt very special hence the extremely positive update below (herein lies the key for me..drive something else regularly to appreciate the main event more ).

The interior seems to feel more upmarket with the black seats / blue stitching combo than my previous one (which had red seats) and the leather headlining still makes me smile at how extravagant it feels. It something called Poltrona Frau leather on the roof which sounds like it's better than the stuff on the seats and dash! Saying that, the carbon leather on the seats and doors makes it far less boring than plain back might be but I guess thats a matter of taste.

The good news is that this car is so far (after 1183 miles in 3 weeks...extremely light mileage for me) tight as a welded nut inside....no rattles, no squeaks and no creaks. One of the buttons on the centre console is looser than those around it so the OCD in me is getting that replaced (yes, imagine actually having to deal with me!).

One final point on the interior is the steering wheel, never the XK's strongest design point. The dealers' current demonstrator has the Alcantara wheel option and it feels superb so I'm upgrading to one of those in the next couple of weeks.

Driving the thing is, well, insane. I wasn't sure at first if it felt any quicker than my last one but once I'd driven it into the higher reaches of the rev range, it most definitely pulls harder. Well, it pulls for a start....the standard XKR's acceleration remained fairly constant above 5k rpm - i.e. very fast. This one is noticeably more peaky and pushes you harder and harder right up to the rev limit.

If I'm being honest, it's too powerful for a RWD car (in my hands anyway) and I'm really sorry to all those that I've disappointed in saying that (I was going on about fuel economy last week and now this....I may as well give up now eh!).

Just imagine that it has 10% more power than my Porsche 911 Turbo and that was sickeningly quick (i.e you felt the acceleration in your gut much like a very fast fairground ride). Whilst the Jag is similarly as fast as the 911 best (easily so once it's moving), it's 2WD drivetrain just makes it more, erm, interesting (remember I grew bored of the 4WD characteristics which made for a very competent if un-engaging car). The Jag is an animal and it's hard (on the Queens highway at least) to unleash and use all of it's power. In the damp or wet it's frankly dangerous (in a really good way ) and in the dry you just need to hold on for as long as you dare.

Dynamically, it's pretty much the same as my last one which means it's brilliant and so well suited to our roads. The ride is amazing for a car with such tight body control and low ride height. I'm again in awe at how good the active e-diff is (and to those who thought it didn't have a proper mechanical diff....tut tut - you know who you are!) It is a proper mechanical diff but electronically controlled so it's proactive rather than reactive (even the new M5/6 has copied Jag's lead on this ). Unlike a purely mechanical diff, you don't need to exceed the limit of adhesion for it to work and instead you can really feel it pushing your angle and working the grip subtly round bends and roundabouts when under load.

Hers a few more pics and it's funny how low it looks sat next to the RRS....

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

All of this still hasn't stopped my interest in the new F-Type and after visiting the Paris show a couple of weeks back, I can confirm that in real life, it is a looker. The thing appears to be even wider than the XKR and, parked right next to an XKR-S on the stand, it made my car instantly look dated.

The interior is really nicely designed and modern (the centre air vents are hidden until needed, where they hinge out from the top of the dash). Heres a few pics of it and the hospitality area where I spent an hour supping Bollinger at Jaguars expense (I'm sure I've paid for it somewhere down the line though!).

On that subject, it was my dealer who sorted it for us to be treated like royalty even in another country and they just keep on getting better - they invited me to a Jaguar track day yesterday at Jaguars test track in Warwickshire and it still doesn't stop there....my missus couldn't join me in the week so they've now invited her to another track day tomorrow and even whacked on another place for her dad so she doesn't have to go on her own! We've also got a few spaces on a Land Rover experience to try their cars off-road so, as an overall 'experience' in making ones custom feel valued, my dealer continue to be incredible. By the way, I'm not alone at these events so there's plenty of others benefiting from this too....JLR are obviously working very hard at building customer loyalty!

And to take my own thread slightly O/T, heres a few more pics from the motorshow....

Champagne supping area

Merc CLA concept looked fantastic and was one of my favourite designs at the show

New Range Rover was luxurious in a similar vein to a Bentley or Rolls Royce and was mighty impressive (and big...the RRS parked next to it looked small)

New FWD BMW looked much better than it's B-Class Merc equivalent

New Mondeo - even the manufacturers are now putting wheels on that are too wide for the tyres. WHY??

New Honda Civic looked like it was going to be game changing (the best thing on the Honda stand)....

One for our e90post VW regulars (don't worry guys, your new GTI's still look like a new Golf!)

And finally, my favourite of the day (amazingly, there were other people also taking photo's of this )....

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Great update as ever, Mr Nuts.
With regards to your F- type - have you just got a 'slot' or have you ordered a physical car? If it's the latter, what engine have you gone for? I've read a little criticism of Jag for the swing in pricing, where he V6 starts reasonably the big boy engine with all the boxes ticked is a very spicy meatball - just curious to see what route you're going to take on the power plant.

Great Paris shots - glad you like the CLA as at this time the AMG powered version (with 8 speed twin clutch box and 4wd) is the intended replacement for my C63 at Christmas next year.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The RS looks amazing considering a more sedate XK but not sure if I will be able to live with it being such a low down car. Have a option to have one for weekend but only if I pay for insurance might need to take them up on the offer as £50 is not bad to get a good test drive. Cheaper then renting.

Love the new merc saloon definelty an improvement over current C class
      10-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Good write up mate; glad the 'S' is still satisfying your ridiculously picky standards.

You really shouldn't post up pics of a 62 plate XKR-S, 60 plate RRS on the drive of your new big bastard chateaux - it just reminds me that I need to put you under more pressure to extract you of some cash . And, where was my invite to the track-days, did all those free gifts I sent you go to waste .

Catch up soon bud.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Love the new merc saloon definelty an improvement over current C class
Sorry to go O/T but you know that's not a C-class replacement, right?
The CLA is intended as a baby CLS (sloped rear end, 4 x frameless doors etc) not a traditional 3 box saloon, and is actually based on the chassis/floor of the new A-class. Non-cooking versions will be fwd.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I recall seeing it in demo setup at goodwood. I remember reading as it to be a baby cls a while ago in top gear which is great. I'm thinking of something smaller and if this comes out as a good small saloon why not . Plus hopefully its also how the next C class will look.
      10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #39
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I recall seeing it in demo setup at goodwood. I remember reading as it to be a baby cls a while ago in top gear which is great. I'm thinking of something smaller and if this comes out as a good small saloon why not . Plus hopefully its also how the next C class will look.
If I don't get a 911 next, it's the route I'm taking - the AMG version should be great - 340bhp, a tunable turbo lump, 8-speed DCT box, 4wd, and a (supposedly) very sweet chassis. Sure, it won't sound like the "63's" (and I will morn that) but it will also do more than 21mpg at a steady 80mph, which has to be a good thing!

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #40
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...but it will also do more than 21mpg at a steady 80mph, which has to be a good thing!
Always good to set down your life-goals from outset
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great update as ever, Mr Nuts.
With regards to your F- type - have you just got a 'slot' or have you ordered a physical car? If it's the latter, what engine have you gone for? I've read a little criticism of Jag for the swing in pricing, where he V6 starts reasonably the big boy engine with all the boxes ticked is a very spicy meatball - just curious to see what route you're going to take on the power plant.

Great Paris shots - glad you like the CLA as at this time the AMG powered version (with 8 speed twin clutch box and 4wd) is the intended replacement for my C63 at Christmas next year.
Thanks Sheps. There are no physical orders yet so I, like everyone else, just have a slot. I'd probably only consider the V8 which, as you say, is very expensive - obviously no more than I paid for my XKR but then discounts will be off the table so will be interesting to see what residuals are like (as this dictates whether it is affordable). I was hoping for this car to be a much cheaper option than my current one but it seems it'll be about the same at best.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I will hang on for the coupe which is not only likely to be cheaper, but will look even better. Still, I reckon the V8 coupe will still be £80k+ with options so it all hangs on residuals.

Or, just keep the XKR-S (but after a year, a time period that I will have it for at least, I will be getting itchy feet)

Or, just buy a 991..........

Or, stuff the lot and get something much cheaper like that CLA in AMG form, which leads me neatly onto....

Quote:
The CLA is intended as a baby CLS (sloped rear end, 4 x frameless doors etc) not a traditional 3 box saloon, and is actually based on the chassis/floor of the new A-class. Non-cooking versions will be fwd.
The Merc stand was probably the most impressive overall...they have a really nice range now - probably the best overall range of any marque IMO.

That CLA was one of the best looking cars at the show (but lets face it, the car won't look like that when it's sitting at production ride height and with more realistically sized wheels), the new SL63 AMG was mighty impressive and I do like the new A-class (well, the sportier versions at least). In fact, had I not just bought the Range Rover, I'd probably have got an A250 DCT thingy (ah heck, when has 'just-having-purchased-a-car' ever stopped me before?....watch out for a new 'incoming' soon )

Quote:
The RS looks amazing considering a more sedate XK but not sure if I will be able to live with it being such a low down car. Have a option to have one for weekend but only if I pay for insurance might need to take them up on the offer as £50 is not bad to get a good test drive. Cheaper then renting.
'Such a low down car' From my memory of you, I'm sure you're under 70? Or at least you look younger (I'd say not a year older than 65 ).

Try one and you'll probably be amazed - I was never a fan of the XK until I won one for a weekend and was blown away (too 'old-man' I used to think....and image-wise, they probably still are ).

I'm also surprised how I've since driven a couple of cars that I previously held in high regard (no names mentioned) which has made me realise just how good modern Jaguar's are to drive. On our roads at least, their suspension alone (mainly the ability to minimise body roll and also ride really very well) will likely surprise anyone used to German cars. One of our Directors at our HQ has an R8, a car seemingly well rated in the suspension dept, and he was very complimentary of my XKR-S's ride/handling.

Quote:
Good write up mate; glad the 'S' is still satisfying your ridiculously picky standards.

You really shouldn't post up pics of a 62 plate XKR-S, 60 plate RRS on the drive of your new big bastard chateaux - it just reminds me that I need to put you under more pressure to extract you of some cash . And, where was my invite to the track-days, did all those free gifts I sent you go to waste .

Catch up soon bud.
Ha ha, the house was nothing to do with me....all I wanted was the double garage and even then, I've gone and driven my new car into it like a fucking blind donkey (and scratched my wheel on a well hidden but annoyingly robust bracket at the bottom).

Much more exciting than the new squat is that I have had my new garage fully plastered and painted white (as is my whole house inside which is surprisingly the way forward....it looks far better than it sounds and much cleaner than the creams/magnolias of this world!). I have also installed a ceiling with spotlights so it's effectively my new 'detailing' bay....this crappy british weather can't stop me having a shiny car now. Just got to rip out that bastard centre pillar and whack in one big door and I'll be happy as Larry in my own little sad world

And it's precicely because of the things you mention above why there is no cash to give you

Quote:
If I don't get a 911 next, it's the route I'm taking - the AMG version should be great - 340bhp, a tunable turbo lump, 8-speed DCT box, 4wd, and a (supposedly) very sweet chassis. Sure, it won't sound like the "63's" (and I will morn that) but it will also do more than 21mpg at a steady 80mph, which has to be a good thing!
Wow, thats certainly a variation there - a 911 or CLA? I see the similarity Go drive a new A-class and that'll give you an idea of the chassis!

Last edited by Palmnuts; 10-15-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #42
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Very nice mate!
      10-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Much more exciting than the new squat is that I have had my new garage fully plastered and painted white (as is my whole house inside which is surprisingly the way forward....it looks far better than it sounds and much cleaner than the creams/magnolias of this world!). I have also installed a ceiling with spotlights so it's effectively my new 'detailing' bay....this crappy british weather can't stop me having a shiny car now. Just got to rip out that bastard centre pillar and whack in one big door and I'll be happy as Larry in my own little sad world
I did spot the rather shiny looking garage; bet you need sunglasses on when you walk in
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #44
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Very nice mate!
Cheers pal Hope all is good with you?

Quote:
I did spot the rather shiny looking garage; bet you need sunglasses on when you walk in
I only wish it was bright enough for sunglasses - I've got 16 of the brightest LED spotlights in the ceiling which I thought would be plenty.

How wrong I was - whilst they're much brighter than their GU32 bulb equivalents, I reckon I need double that amount of lights to get anywhere near the illumination intensity that I want!
Appreciate 0