E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320si intermittent starting problem

03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #397
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: GT86 DGM

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrdee View Post
Got my si back today after 9 months one waiting for a new engine to be fitted. HavE to say that the dealership have been first class in the way they have dealt with it. Ive been in a 320d courtesy car since taking the si in and I tell you what I didn't half appreciate getting the si back. The handling , steering , smoothness and sound of the engine rips the pants off a 320d. No doubt.

Reggie - I wouldn't mind betting your new block was being built alongside mine. The dealership said that my new engine has been modified to to take account of the liner defect - ill enquire further to see what has been done differently and let you know what BMW say.

Cheers
Wow!!! cant believe youve had to wait that long. Bet your loving it over that crappy derv lmao. I do hope that mine can be fixed with these new wheels. Be interesting to know how bmw have rectified the liner issue...
      03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #398
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
Ignore what i said guys. Was just taking out my anger as ive had an alignment problem on mine for the best part of a year. Both front wheels are buckled so ive ordered two new motorsport 216 alloys. Im sure your si's are fine and from the reports its is one of the best handling in its class...

Btw im on falken fk452

I just switched from Bridges RE050A to Pirelli PZERO runflats. I'm in love with the car all over again ...I don't know how the Falkens behave, but I'm loving my Pirellis!
      04-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #399
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

I need your help people.

What's this problem I'm having?

Some important details.

This happens ONLY on cold and humid winter days. It hasn't happened on warm days. Also, my office is VERY close to home (around 1km) so on these cold days the car works under a very rich fuel mixture and shuts off rich. A mechanic told me that this might be the cause. It is very rich, and it makes that problem...when it cleans up, it fires up ok.

Also, this has happened about 4-5 times this year.

Has this happened to anyone?

How it is dealt with?
      04-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #400
lohbre
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320si

My first post on this forum since I need the stupid 5 posts to be able to send pm's :P

It seems to me that you are having started on the same problems that have occured to several cars in this post.

My car started out the same as yours, and 6 months later I got a crack in the block due to piston rings . And would have to do an engine swap. Does anyone know if there has been a upgrade to the engine since there's been so many having the same problem ? Not so keen on putting in a "broken" engine. Might the upgrade on piston rings be a solution ?

Full service history , just passed 50k , delivered the car several times with same symptoms, having the car returned with nothing to fix ... Guess i should have found this post earlier

Kinda wierd that the dealers dont have an open history logg on cars beeing worked on / fixed with same problem.

Dagern / Dagmagnus plz send me a pm if you read this :P
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #401
DagMagnus
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2006 320si

lohbre:
I can't PM you either until you have posted 5 posts. I still have the starting problem (maybe three times during this winter) but the car runs great.

I asked the local BMW dealer to check the cylinder liners for cracks a while ago, but they didn't notice anything wrong.

Nikos120i:
This is exactly what happens to me as well.

Last edited by DagMagnus; 04-13-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #402
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to confirm the issue your pointing to is the sluggish start? I've had this as well, again only on wet and cold days, car stinks of fuel when it eventually starts.

Just serviced my car and I took out the coil packs and cleaned them up and sprayed them with wd40 before refitting them as it looked like there had been a bit of moisture around them. Car has been 100% since.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #403
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer69 View Post
Just to confirm the issue your pointing to is the sluggish start? I've had this as well, again only on wet and cold days, car stinks of fuel when it eventually starts.

Just serviced my car and I took out the coil packs and cleaned them up and sprayed them with wd40 before refitting them as it looked like there had been a bit of moisture around them. Car has been 100% since.
Yeap!

That's precisely the issue I'm pointing at!

Should I tell them to check the coil packs?

So this isn't the problem with the cracked cylinders?

Or should I be worried?

Cause the engine is -->

It actually feels a bit faster since my last oil change.
      04-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #404
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

I hope it's not the cylinders!!!!

Worth checking the coils, check the plugs as well for wear. It's amazing what a service can do to the feel of a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #405
cobalt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320si

Dear Nikos,

to my opinion this seems like a lack of pressure in the cylinders.

of course it could be any other sensor malfunction...

i would suggest to take it in a dealer in order to measure the pressure in your cylinders. all dealers have such an equippment for measuring cylinder pressure.

this is the ONLY and SAFEST way to be sure that your cylinders and piston rings are fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #406
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Dear Nikos,

to my opinion this seems like a lack of pressure in the cylinders.

of course it could be any other sensor malfunction...

i would suggest to take it in a dealer in order to measure the pressure in your cylinders. all dealers have such an equippment for measuring cylinder pressure.

this is the ONLY and SAFEST way to be sure that your cylinders and piston rings are fine.
I will take it, but I doubt it is the cylinders.

If there was loss of pressure then:
1. The car would do the same thing all the time
2. Performance would be much, much worse all the time.

Not only performance hasn't changed, but it is actually better than before.

So I doubt that this could be the issue.

I will take it as soon as possible.

Thanks!
      04-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #407
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Think I'll be booking mine for a compression and leak down test when I get back onshore! If it did consume its engine could it be swapped for an alternative 3 series motor or would that be a complete ball ache. I don't want this, the Si motor is a peach when it's on song but should the worst happen a nice straight 6 or dare I say it a v8 would be ok I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #408
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car just went into limp mode (yellow engine warning, half shaded) as I was parking up tonight.

No funny noises, been driving great, no starting issues and everything looked good under the bonnet. Any thoughts folks?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #409
cobalt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Car just went into limp mode (yellow engine warning, half shaded) as I was parking up tonight.

No funny noises, been driving great, no starting issues and everything looked good under the bonnet. Any thoughts folks?
Do you have any other lamps also activated? or only the main with the yellow engine?

does the lamp remain after start up again?

do you have power loss?

better to check it to a dealer.

possible reasons:
MAF, coilovers, lambda sensors
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #410
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi, yeah the other warnings that popped up were 'suspension control system failed', 'drive off assist failed' and 'cruise control failed'.

The garage have just been in touch to say that all of the fault codes point to a timing issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #411
cobalt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi, yeah the other warnings that popped up were 'suspension control system failed', 'drive off assist failed' and 'cruise control failed'.

The garage have just been in touch to say that all of the fault codes point to a timing issue...
mine had similar wrning lights and symptomps.
i have changed the engine harness and the problem stopped.
second step is to change throttle potentiometer.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #412
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

It lives!!!

Cam sensors removed and cleaned, throttle sensor removed and cleaned all fault codes disappeared. It now starts better, runs smoother, pulls harder low down and there's no flat spot around 4250rpm.

And the cost for all this???

Nothing! Happy doesn't come close to summing it up!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #413
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Haha, spoke too soon! Back in the garage looks like the throttle potentiometer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #414
cobalt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Haha, spoke too soon! Back in the garage looks like the throttle potentiometer.

lol

check the harness also!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #415
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

New throttle housing fitted and all seems well, watch this space....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #416
Justino
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Mate the fact that they've been so proactive about the new engine and that I'd be delighted. There's been some proper horror stories on here. You could probably push for some kind of refund, a mate of mine had a Z4M with a hot starting issue and was able to get a full refund after 4 months of constant issues with it.

However if I were you I'd wait for the car to be returned and just enjoy it, I love my Si and I don't think I'd change it for anything other than an M3. If after all that you still fancy a change I'd say you have a pretty sellable car considering it's service history and the new engine so hopefully you won't loose out.

On another note my one doesn't like damp mornings, starts fine every other time but when it's damp it can be a struggle!
I think I may have bought your friends Z4M. I got it from Menzies Stirling, previous owner was Aberdeen based, and only had the car for a few months, and rejected it for starting issues which I was told had been cured. The car was the right spec so took a chance, but the starting issues are still there, ie won't start when hot. it is ignition related as when the ignition has been on when engine cold, it can have the same problem. They replaced the DME relay when they took it back. Would be useful to know anymore info before i take it back to my local dealer as 300 miles from Stirling, at leats it has etended AUC warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #417
Jimmer69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yup that sounds like the car!

He's offshore at the moment but if you PM me an email address for you I'll pass it onto him.

He had the car back and forth to Stirling quite a bit before he gave it back.

Hope you manage to get it sorted, it was a gorgeous motor!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #418
Justino
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Great, just need a few more posts to get past 5 posts before I can PM you my email address.
Appreciate 0