E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Passing NYS emissions with a BPC tune

01-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Passing NYS emissions with a BPC tune

Has anyone passed emissions with the BPC tune? I have a concern with the disclaimer they make you sign, which other tuners do not:

"Customer is responsible for obeying all federal, state, and local laws, ordinances and regulations regarding emission controls and noise.

BPC makes no representations or warranties about whether Customer’s vehicle will comply with such rules following provision of the Services."
      01-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
Has anyone passed emissions with the BPC tune? I have a concern with the disclaimer they make you sign, which other tuners do not:

"Customer is responsible for obeying all federal, state, and local laws, ordinances and regulations regarding emission controls and noise.

BPC makes no representations or warranties about whether Customer’s vehicle will comply with such rules following provision of the Services."
A lot of tuners are requiring this waiver, it's more of a CYA. Turner makes you sign same waiver when buying headers now. If you're worried about passing emissions, I would look into o2 sims that n55 owners have been using.
      01-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
ian3924
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i 6MT

They won't fail you just because your car is tuned. As long as you don't have a CEL and pass the safety you're most likely good. NYS allows one OBD monitor unready so if you're catless you should still pass emissions as long as you have no present codes
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
A lot of tuners are requiring this waiver, it's more of a CYA. Turner makes you sign same waiver when buying headers now. If you're worried about passing emissions, I would look into o2 sims that n55 owners have been using.
I could understand the disclaimer for a tune that indicates the cats are gone. I guess the EPA and NYS could say any modification violates the manufacturer's emissions certification. I purchased everything without signing a waiver and am reluctant to start signing them now. If it does adversely impact emissions, I probably won't buy it, even though I drive a trivial amount of miles now (probably 4K per year).
      01-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3924 View Post
They won't fail you just because your car is tuned. As long as you don't have a CEL and pass the safety you're most likely good. NYS allows one OBD monitor unready so if you're catless you should still pass emissions as long as you have no present codes
I have heard that before, but if the inspector notices the cats missing, I presume you could get a fail. For the small fee they get, I doubt if they want to get too aggressive, but presumably NYS could run a few cars through without cats to test how effective the testers are. I would not want a "fail" appearing on my Carfax, as I have seen on a few other cars.

I have cleared all SES codes with Carly pro and some corrective measures made to the car. Not sure if any equipment retrieves that history. My inspection comes up in April.
      01-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
I could understand the disclaimer for a tune that indicates the cats are gone. I guess the EPA and NYS could say any modification violates the manufacturer's emissions certification. I purchased everything without signing a waiver and am reluctant to start signing them now. If it does adversely impact emissions, I probably won't buy it, even though I drive a trivial amount of miles now (probably 4K per year).
Unless you're purchasing an off road tune it won't adversely affect emissions. And even then unless you had catless headers I don't see how it would. Most off road tunes basically turn off or turn down the rear o2 sensors.
      01-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Rsoxs19
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I have a JB4 with catless downpipes and exhaust. I was worried about passing due to emissions. You could even smell how bad the emissions were but it all worked out lol. I just found a local guy and gave him some extra cash and he passed it for me.