E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Urges Dealers to Use Computerized Repair Inspections

09-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

You guys act like upselling is a bad thing...

If you brought it in to fix a leaking power steering hose and they found your belts are cracked. You would want them to not tell you anything about it and leave those cracked belts alone?
      09-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 awd View Post
Dealers is a buisness just like the people commenting on this thread,you need to make money too for a living you can't blame them for that. Its a free enterprise economy. And if you dont tell the customer he or she needs work done they will come screamipsing and blame you,why didn't you tell me the first time I was there. Its to protect the liability of the dealership and the customers saftey. If you done like dealerships for repairs go to an independent shop were they use non oe parts. Dealerships are not the enemy in this situation. Peace and love
rofl, no.. it's to wring you dry

dealerships are always the enemy, £150pa is the enemy, pushing £300 for a fucking oil change is the enemy

it's quite obvious from OP that this is a method of up-selling, but in such a way that will make punters think 'oh shit my car is going to fall apart' rather than just trying to sell some BMW branded polish or leather care etc..

it is preying on peoples fears and lack of knowledge about the vehicles they drive, and frankly a bit immoral imo
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

You know, if they utilized this for warranty work to resolve issues that are covered....that wold be just great.

But they state it themselves in sales/marketing terms "up-sell" and this sentence is a real beauty: "It is designed to boost repair orders, increase service and parts profits and enhance customer satisfaction by keeping clients’ cars in good and safe running order."

The highlighted section is the real motivation, the second part is non-sense. If the second part was true, they would be using the description and article to talk about warranty work and keeping customers happy, not up-selling them.
      09-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
You guys act like upselling is a bad thing...

If you brought it in to fix a leaking power steering hose and they found your belts are cracked. You would want them to not tell you anything about it and leave those cracked belts alone?
poor example..

the problem is when the computer goes "breaks pads are 2% worn" we recommend you get them replaced.. and then the punter panics so gets the work done unnecessarily

also it clearly says "this is designed to increase parts profits" i'm pretty sure my car is totally safe without this shit, and other posters have clearly highlighted this is not for the customers it is for the dealerships to widen their margins..

i suppose the glass showrooms and free shit coffee have to be paid for somehow
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
poor example..

the problem is when the computer goes "breaks pads are 2% worn" we recommend you get them replaced.. and then the punter panics so gets the work done unnecessarily

also it clearly says "this is designed to increase parts profits" i'm pretty sure my car is totally safe without this shit, and other posters have clearly highlighted this is not for the customers it is for the dealerships to widen their margins..

i suppose the glass showrooms and free shit coffee have to be paid for somehow
2% till worn you mean? I would seriously consider doing them while i'm there. If you mean 98% life on the brakes then they are clearing being ripped off.
      09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
2% till worn you mean? I would seriously consider doing them while i'm there. If you mean 98% life on the brakes then they are clearing being ripped off.
no.

although did get the point in the end... this whole thing will lead to people being ripped off. end of.

not that we aren't already, i refer back to the outrageous labour rates further up
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
OneFastE92
You run 11's in a what?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe M-Sport 6MT

Don't understand people. Whats wrong with this? An inspection at the dealership is vital to the maintenance of your BMW. Any car for that matter. Do you all regularly perform an inspection like a dealership would? One that involves taking off under panels, checking for oil, coolant, p/s leaks? Lets say you have an oil leak and it's just puddling on the under panel. You'd never know. I know I would want the dealership to tell me this. If you're that paranoid about getting ripped off, just tell them to show you what needs attention and you decide if you want it or not. But really, I think everyone with a N54 should get the dealership to do a fuel injection cleaning service, (the fuel rail one) for the low price of $190. Clean up those dirty valves on your direct injection motor..